IGNORED

Modern Games Beaten in 2023

Final Fantasy IV Pixel Remaster (Switch) - 14ish hours

Final Fantasy VI Pixel Remaster (Switch) - 33ish hours

I finished FF4 like three days after the Pixel Remasters were released for Switch.  FF6 took a fair amount longer; I finished it up before work this morning.

Working on FF1 and FF5 concurrently then will move to FF2 and 3. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, digdugnate said:

Final Fantasy I Pixel Remaster (Switch) - 10 1/2ish hours

Another one down!  I'm tackling FF2 next since I've not played it before; shelving FF5 for the time being.

What did you think about FF1?  Why did you shelve FF5?

I tried completing FF5 many times over the years but had trouble getting into it (even though I had completed FF1-4,6+7 at the time).  I finally was able to get into it and complete it last year... it definitely gets better during the second half imo.

I really liked FF2 and FF3, though I think I prefer FF1 over both.  FF2 has a weird system, but it's worth sticking with it to the end imo.  FF3 is a real treat, also.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 3

Tails of Iron (PS5)

This one was great.  Finished up and got the platinum trophy today.   I'm probably a bit bias as I LOVE Redwall and Mouseguard, and this feels like they took those 2 and blended with a Souls game.  But it was darn near perfect for me.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

What did you think about FF1?  Why did you shelve FF5?

I tried completing FF5 many times over the years but had trouble getting into it (even though I had completed FF1-4,6+7 at the time).  I finally was able to get into it and complete it last year... it definitely gets better during the second half imo.

I really liked FF2 and FF3, though I think I prefer FF1 over both.  FF2 has a weird system, but it's worth sticking with it to the end imo.  FF3 is a real treat, also.

FF1 was a blast to run through on the Pixel Remaster. I'd finished the game a few times on the NES so it was fun for me to turn boosts on and just tear the game up.  Chaos still wasn't a pushover, but he wasn't exactly hard, either, when my monk was hitting for crazy four-digit damage without Haste,, haha.

I put FF5 on hold because I've never played FF2 or 3 before and I wanted to focus on the one game instead of splitting my attention between multiple ones.  (I do much better if i can just concentrate on the one)

I finished FF5 on the PS1 so that's been a number of years ago; I've restarted the FF5 PR a couple of times to get the feel for the job classes and what i want to switch when.  It has a superb soundtrack and the PR plays really well, though!  The furthest I've gotten I think on the PR version is to Istory before I get distracted and do something else, lol.  FF5 is unusual to me sandwiched between 4 and 6 because it has a narrative but isn't particularly focused on it (especially in the first half); if you're used to FF4 leading you around you're going to be disappointed when you play FF5 because that game requires you to... talk to people to figure out what the heck you're doing in the game next. lol

I'm only about an hour or two into FF2 and so far the game's fun but the game mechanics take a little getting used to.  Story-wise to give you idea of where I am I'm about to get the snow vehicle.

In general, I feel like the Pixel Remasters were really well done in terms of showing the original content of the games.  It vastly helps, too, that the console versions have the 'Classic' text setting which is a lot easier for me to read.  While I do find myself switching back to the original tunes occasionally, the remastered symphonic tracks are soooo good.   I felt like these were worth every bit the price of entry.  :)

Edited by digdugnate
  • Like 2

Final Fantasy II Pixel Remaster (Switch) - Just shy of thirteen hours for this playthrough by one minute- I was able to get a good amount of play time in this weekend because not really much to do at the house aside from the usual.

The leveling system was neat but the '90% of rooms in a dungeon are empty trap rooms' was kind of annoying, lol.  I think by the time I was at the final dungeon I was like 'Ok, I'm turning off encounters and just bum-rushing to the end boss'.  

On to 3!  So far this one seems pretty cool; it looks like it combines the game mechanics of FF1 and FF5.  Being forced to play my characters Mini was kind of a neat change. :)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

Final Fantasy II Pixel Remaster (Switch)

The leveling system was neat but the '90% of rooms in a dungeon are empty trap rooms' was kind of annoying, lol...

That sums up my opinion one this one, as well.  It will be interesting to read your thoughts on FF3 once you finish it!  It's probably my favorite in the series behind FF1 and FF6.

• Like 2

Final Fantasy III Pixel Remaster (Switch) - 14-ish hours

@newtmonkey - utterly fantastic game and best of the NES Final Fantasy games IMO.  Story was pretty cool, pacing was good, just an all-around enjoyable game.  

If I had ANY complaint about the game it's 'hoo boy, difficulty spike at the end'.  There's a definite level-check to finish :)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@digdugnate

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed FF3!  I personally prefer FF1, but FF3 is right behind it for the FC games.  There's definitely a massive difficulty spike at the end.  I recall the last save point being at a halfway point outside the final dungeon, so if you failed you lost all your progress and were all the back outside to your last save.  Having said that, I played the original FC version and did manage to finish the game without any grinding.  I do remember being extremely stressed the whole time lol.  I don't remember the details (it was years ago), but I think I had everyone converted to one of the two ultimate classes, and used a lot of buffing spells in the last battle (my goto strategy for FF1-3, actually).

What's the next game you plan on playing?  The FF5 Pixel Remaster?

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 1

Just now, newtmonkey said:

@digdugnate

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed FF3!  I personally prefer FF1, but FF3 is right behind it for the FC games.  There's definitely a massive difficulty spike at the end.  I recall the last save point being outside the final dungeon, so if you failed you lost all your progress and was all the back outside to your last save.  Having said that, I played the original FC version and managed to finish the game without any grinding; I don't remember the details (it was years ago), but I think I had everyone converted to one of the two ultimate classes, and used a lot of buffing spells in the last battle (my goto strategy for FF1-3, actually).

What's the next game you plan on playing?  The FF5 Pixel Remaster?

Yup, last one on the list barring me doing a FF4 speedrun is FF5 PR.  :)

I finished FF3 with Ninja, Sage (focus was White Magic), Black Belt, Sage (Focus was Black Mage and Summons like 'Bahamur').  Without spoiling story bits, what I ended up doing was saving first BEFORE all that stuff in front of the tower, then another save point where you exit and go into the actual tower itself.  It also helps greatly when you're at the very end (hint hint to other players) to make sure to 'click' on the Dark Crystals after you beat the bosses to heal up; btw, getting the Dark ones is required I learned the hard way!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@digdugnate

I'm pretty certain I had two sages and two ninjas by the end of the game.  I may have even explored the final dungeon in two trips, exiting after I accomplished some stuff.  I can't even remember if that's possible in the FC version or not, but it seems like something I'd do lol.

Once you complete all the PR games, I hope you'll post with your overall thoughts on FF1-6.  I'd also like to hear which of these games you consider to be most fun on a replay!

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Aggelos (PS4)

Picked this up for something like 2 bucks on PS store, and loved it.  It's like a combo of Zelda 2 and the Monster World games.   The game is great, but had one annoying bug keeping it from being nearly perfect -- you learn a move where you jump, then press up and attack to do an "upward slash."   But when moving left, simply jumping will trigger that move immediately if the stick is up/left diagonal at all.   This causes a LOT of annoyance when moving left during platforming parts.

Other than that annoyance, I highly recommend it for anyone wishing they "still made 'em like they used to"

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Medieval 4 (PS4)

I couldn't stand this back on the PS1, but have been wanting to check out the remake for a while because the art direction really won me over.   I had a blast playing through it (got 100%, platinum and all that) but gameplay still does have some rough patches.   Not PS1 level of awful, but the platforming and camera controls seem stuck in the PS2 era at time, so you'll likely spend some time wishing it was a bit more polished.

Overall though, I made a fan out of me and if part 2 releases with the same look/feel, I'll grab and play day 1.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Diablo III: Eternal Collection (Switch)

I had previously completed Diablo and Diablo II on PC not too long ago, so I was interested to see how Diablo III would fare.  I played as a Rogue in D1 and a Paladin in D2, so I wanted to try a spellcaster class for D3... I went with a Necromancer (which turns out really isn't a spellcaster class).

I started out on Normal difficulty, but found it to be shockingly easy; my character was basically invulnerable.  I decided to boost the difficult level each time I reached a new act, so by the final act of the main campaign I was on the Master level.  I tried the Torment level during the Reaper of Souls expansion (Act V), but found it to be no more difficult but much more tedious, since normal enemies became total damage sponges... so I reverted back to Master to complete the game.

I have four major complaints with this game.

First, you don't really do anything in this game.  I quickly settled on a couple of skills that seemed most useful, and from that point on the entire game was just spamming those two skills over and over, and replacing my equipment constantly with whatever loot I could find that would make those two skills even more effective.  I'm sure the game gets very difficult on Torment+100 or something, but I cannot imagine how many hours you'd have to devote to grinding loot to be able to even survive it.

Second, the elimination of "builds" as in Diablo II really harms the experience.  There is nothing outside of loot to differentiate any two characters of the same class and level.  Leveling up feels automatic, and you don't feel like you're building your own character along the way.

Third, the game completely lacks atmosphere.  Diablo II was also very easy and had some really boring areas, but the detailed monster sprites, atmospheric locations, grim story, and eerie soundtrack gave the game a lot of character.  In contrast, Diablo III is less horror fantasy and more epic fantasy, like World of Warcraft.  The graphics are somewhat cartoony due mostly to the textures, and the soundtrack is generic high fantasy stuff.

Fourth, the writing and voice acting are so bad that they detract from the story.  Bosses constantly appear to mock you and tell you their amazing plans, like some kind of Saturday morning cartoon villain.  All other dialog is either cringeworthy quips traded between followers and your main character, or pure exposition.  You'll often get a cutscene of something happening, then a character telling another character what just happened, and then a sub-act transition scene telling you what just happened.  It's a mess.  The voice actors were seemingly directed to turn it up to 11 at all times, as every single line of dialog is delivered as though it's the most urgent thing that ever needed to be said.  There is no subtlety whatsoever.  And of course, you are the chosen one.

Having said all that, it's otherwise a competent game.  The Switch port runs at a near constant 60 fps docked (I didn't try it in portable mode), and it looks fine.  I do like that Blizzard tried to make some fundamental changes to the Diablo II formula with regard to character building (especially since so many games in this genre outright copy many of the Diablo II mechanics), though I personally don't think they did a good job.  Still, it's somewhat addictive to unlock new skills and runes, and finding some awesome weapon that complements your build is always exciting.

You also get a TON of content for your purchase.  If you love what Diablo III does, it's basically a game that never ends.  After completing Story mode, you can take your character into Adventure mode, which basically turns the game into an open-world where you can just run around any of the maps completing quests and challenges.  There's also the online Season mode, where you have to start a new character but get access to unique content and rewards, which can then be carried over to an offline character once the season is done.

• Like 2