IGNORED

Colecovision 3D printable Controller

electro_sparkles

https://github.com/sparkletron/Colecovision_Controller

The github link above is for my finished project that has all the files to create a 3D printed Colecovision controller with all the original functionality. The form factor is the size of a NES controller. It uses micro-switches, single sided PCB, diodes, #4 pan screw, 3D printed parts, and a Sega Genesis extension cable. This is available with no license, do as you please with it. All files are available in the github repo.

PXL_20230112_005229343.thumb.jpg.57f95c906f46cdc558c2b686810d8857.jpg

PXL_20230112_005320908.thumb.jpg.d4525c9cdafc73ca33577889642b48cc.jpg

PXL_20230112_005328843.thumb.jpg.4215efb5bb378c37d98e7d4795f5db25.jpg

PXL_20230112_005351650.thumb.jpg.856fa33bafa6ece41ea38c75113295c8.jpg

PXL_20230112_005402469.thumb.jpg.427a55c08fe182425f32057c2cd26edf.jpg

PXL_20230112_005609463.thumb.jpg.707abb9a3dd190176385259eee7e1909.jpg

Edited by electro_sparkles
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool. 😎

Now we just need one with 4-button Super Action Controller support and we'll be set! 👍

Tweaking things to allow use of existing NES (or even SNES) buttons is a great idea.. That would be much better than trying to 3d print them. Plus I already have a ton of spares from customizing all my Nintendo controllers.

The best site to get buttons from is probably Kitch & Bent.

Retro Modding is another good one.

https://store.kitsch-bent.com/collections/replacement-parts/products/custom-buttons-nes

https://www.retromodding.com/collections/nes/products/game-boy-buttons-nes-style

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

Very cool. 😎

Now we just need one with 4-button Super Action Controller support and we'll be set! 👍

Tweaking things to allow use of existing NES (or even SNES) buttons is a great idea.. That would be much better than trying to 3d print them. Plus I already have a ton of spares from customizing all my Nintendo controllers.

The best site to get buttons from is probably Kitch & Bent.

Retro Modding is another good one.

https://store.kitsch-bent.com/collections/replacement-parts/products/custom-buttons-nes

https://www.retromodding.com/collections/nes/products/game-boy-buttons-nes-style

Neat, though I want the spirit of the project to be as home grown as possible. But I think making it compatible for both button types (3d and purchased) would be excellent. I do plan on a nes /snes controller using a pic, just need to get around to it. At that point that would be a good time to make that change to the coleco shell and fork it(git term) for the snes/nes. 

As for selling them, this project is for everyone. I hope it helps people and provides documentation of the original hardware. I could, but my process limits the amount and how cheap I can make them.

I do everything in house. The PCB is done with a t-tech 5000 mill in my shop, my 3d printers, and my time for assembly. I do not want to make it cheaper by giving business to China, so I'm not sure how I could make it economical. Plus at that point an injection molded case would be nice. 

The super action controller would be a another great next step. I think that and the steering wheel would be a cool way to round out the project.... Someday.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, electro_sparkles said:

Neat, though I want the spirit of the project to be as home grown as possible. But I think making it compatible for both button types (3d and purchased) would be excellent. I do plan on a nes /snes controller using a pic, just need to get around to it. At that point that would be a good time to make that change to the coleco shell and fork it(git term) for the snes/nes. 

As for selling them, this project is for everyone. I hope it helps people and provides documentation of the original hardware. I could, but my process limits the amount and how cheap I can make them.

I do everything in house. The PCB is done with a t-tech 5000 mill in my shop, my 3d printers, and my time for assembly. I do not want to make it cheaper by giving business to China, so I'm not sure how I could make it economical. Plus at that point an injection molded case would be nice. 

The super action controller would be a another great next step. I think that and the steering wheel would be a cool way to round out the project.... Someday.

Gotcha. 👍

Well you're doing a fine job so far. Keep up the good work! 🙂

On 1/28/2023 at 12:38 AM, dankcomputing said:

By the way, it is possible to get injection-molded reproduction NES, Gameboy and even Game Gear buttons and d-pad pieces of any imaginable color from Handheld Legend. If you can get them to work in your controller that'd be fewer pieces that need to be printed.

So funny enough I actually thought about this a bit more after my previous post. I forgot I used nes/snes buttons for the base measurements of the buttons. I'll have to see if they do fit.. soon(tm). 

• Like 1