IGNORED

Hub for RMT exports

andyhants

I've recently become aware of RMT exports as a possible mainstream source for Atari 8-bit music but I can't seem to find a main 'hub'  for the publication of these. There's another thread here on the development of VU Player allowing Atari 8 bit systems play RMT exports which suggests to me there is a significant volume of RMT exports output somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

So my question is - is there a leading website or something like a forum thread for these I am missing or am I mistaken in thinking RMT exports are actually a significant source of an Atari 8-bit  music community 'scene' ? 

On 1/13/2023 at 12:42 AM, JAC! said:

This might be the resource you are looking for: https://asma.atari.org/

.SAP is the general envelope format and it can also include .RMT.

I was aware of ASMA but thanks for that anyway. As you see it seems to be almost entirely .SAP files - which perversely if I am undertanding things correctly - don't play on an Atari 8-bit ???. 

So I think I would like to ask the community again for where ppl go to find .RMT content. Responses on the recent / current VU Player thread on here seem to indicate that there is a source for .RMT content bit I can't find it. I find odds & ends from Googling on places like SoundCloud but I would have thought there must be somehwere for a community of .RMT content & again would apprciate any feedback anyone can offer.

Basically I want to be able to collate & play playlists of recent / current A8 POKEY Chiptunes on my emulated A8 - ideally starting from an SDX command prompt running something like VU Player. Mega-ideally I would like an Amiga ProTracker equivalent app I can run from SDX to play conent.

As a second question - I don't get the .SAP filetype - surely if its A8 chiptune content you must be able to play it on an A8 platform ???

Thanks again for any help  / guidance.

I think as already explained, ANY music playback requires some code and so a SAP file contains the dumped required memory parts from the original source needed to perform this along with the addresses of how to a) initialise and b) play (e.g. via a vbi call address)

Any RMT file on the other hand is the format of the RMT 'editor', not the resulting playback out which is exported from the editor, e.g. as an XEX or sources. So the SAP file would be a wrapper for that XEX that includes title/credit and load/playback details.

SAP file can be played natively, e.g. SAPEMU. Sometimes there are considerations, e.g. when the memory where the SAP player is loaded to would be overwritten by the content of the SAP file, but those are circumvented via using a SAP player relocated to load at a non-conflicting address area. 

• Like 1

SAP simply is a more general format than RMT and contains additional information.

There are of course also SAP players for the Atari 8-bit. See the main page for ASMA.

image.thumb.png.ff6c179612617d68678cd27c685fd88b.png

ASMA also has the option to export the SAP as XEX and in it's original format (RMT, CMC, ...) provided it the song was done in that.

image.thumb.png.c6a40f7e82924374ff8820ecd7405ff3.png

• Like 2

• 8 months later...