IGNORED

SMS HSC - 2023 Winter/Spring - Round 1 - Cloud Master

BydoEmpire

Let's kick things off with a later-release game that I've never played. Let's get crazy, Japanese style - shoot sushi, battle pig heads... all that fun stuff.

https://www.smspower.org/Manuals/CloudMaster-SMS-US

22999-cloud-master-sega-master-system-fr

To get a bonus point, play Alex Kidd in Shinobi World.  Second bonus points for beating the game (which I've never done).

This round runs Jan 16 - Jan 29

Totals

1. @jeremiahjt 485,500
  2. @Dashopepper 207,300
  3. @BydoEmpire 202,200 (+1)
  4. @fakecortex 178,300 (+1)
  5. @Frozone212 25,800
Edited by BydoEmpire

New score of 485,500.  Beat the second level boss and then cleared the entire third level on the first try.  Died on the fourth level because I did not see an attack from below and I could never get my power back up to where it was.  The mini-bosses on the fourth level take a lot of hits.

• Like 1

Squeezed in a game of Alex Kidd in Shinobi World just to get on the board, but just re-learning the game. I haven't played this in forever, I want to get a few rounds in on the actual cart.  I've gotten to the 4th stage but I've never beaten it.  Maybe this is the week...

image.thumb.jpeg.a09d64081759b7f960f0579a3aa11f21.jpeg

I tried a couple games of Cloud Master on my DS emulator, but it was rough. The screen is too small for me to play well and track everything, I didn't even make it to the first boss.

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 1

I need to read the directions for Cloud Master... no idea how the power up system works. :)  Google to the rescue:

https://www.smspower.org/Manuals/CloudMaster-SMS-US

CloudMaster-SMS-US-Power.jpg
Power
Each time this is taken, Michael Chen's shot power increases by one (1) step, up to a maximum of six (6) steps.

CloudMaster-SMS-US-Special.jpg
Special

When taken, Michael Chen's power goes up by two (2) steps.

CloudMaster-SMS-US-Fast.jpg
Fast
Michael Chen's speed increases by six (6) steps.

CloudMaster-SMS-US-Auto.jpg
Auto
Michael Chen's weapons shoot rapid-fire.

CloudMaster-SMS-US-Extra.jpg
Extra

Michael Chen's number of lives increase by one.

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Thanks 1

Beating that first boss really boosts your score. I feel like he moves a bit slow 😕 Not a bad game, but likely won’t come back to it. 

8EBD0BDF-0A7C-4314-A4FB-EAE3A4EDFDAD.thumb.jpeg.96fbb006dc41a2dbd84b54b0170869e6.jpeg

Bonus- 4,400

91F93567-11EC-4C4C-867E-049E26DFD2E9.thumb.jpeg.703620b247648f43ba8232115e4c2617.jpeg

This is the first time I’ve played an Alex Kidd game actually. I didn’t know when he was going to Shinobi World that they meant the Shinobi video game, hahaha that was a fun surprise. I like his spinning on poles power, but the rest of the controls feel slippery. 

Although I wasn’t a fan of the games this round, it’s still cool to get exposure to titles I’ve never played before :)