IGNORED

Is anyone building the new MIDI Mite 2 ?

rietveld

There doesn’t seem to be a cheap keyboard with true MIDI IN anymore. Everything affordable now is USB and not compatible. I remember my local Goodwill used to have keyboards all the time, but they haven’t had anything now that I’ve been looking. Their prices have skyrocketed recently and I’m sure they would want too much now anyway if they did have one soon. I have no interest in using MIDI and the keyboard would need to fall on my lap to consider making units. Also, keep in mind that Eric’s project is currently untested and not guaranteed to work as-is.

1 hour ago, Tekman said:

There doesn’t seem to be a cheap keyboard with true MIDI IN anymore. Everything affordable now is USB and not compatible. I remember my local Goodwill used to have keyboards all the time, but they haven’t had anything now that I’ve been looking. Their prices have skyrocketed recently and I’m sure they would want too much now anyway if they did have one soon. I have no interest in using MIDI and the keyboard would need to fall on my lap to consider making units. Also, keep in mind that Eric’s project is currently untested and not guaranteed to work as-is.

Ebay has been the only place and well over $100.  Pawn shop the same.
As you said, GoodWill but when I asked they said that most electronics are sent to recycle now.

8 hours ago, Captain Cozmos said:

I just picked up the original off ebay, now if I can find a cheap casio

This would be such a niche product that I don’t see anyone making the MIDI-Mite 2 let alone making it in quantity to sell.

Of course, if it was made, I would buy one just to have in case I ever came across a cheap MIDI keyboard. Kids have a USB Keyboard already. You would think there is a USB to MIDI converter… might have to search around to see.

Thanks for the post, reminds me that I need to make a purchase from Tekman!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NIAD said:

I’m in if it is verified that the numerous USB to MIDI cables that I just searched up will indeed allow a USB Keyboard to work.

My friend has a MIDI box on his 1986 Tandy Color Computer. I asked him about the 5pin DIN to USB

This was his response

"Yes works like a champ for me

unfortunately (well fortunately really) my son steals all my MIDI gear that I would connect to it ... so I got a 5-pin to USB and just plug it into my Linux box ... run bristol for a DX-7 emulation and have my CoCo drive MIDI tunes into my Linux rig. There's a DAW for Linux called Carla that's worked pretty well for me"

So yes the cable works to connect the 5pin din from the Midi to a USB midi keyboard or a emulator on a laptop

Edited by rietveld
  • Thanks 1