IGNORED

1050 drive belt lost adhesion, advice needed

idk

I have some 1050s, one of which makes a whine when disks are inserted and looks to be slipping (amount depends on the disk inserted)

Does anyone have suggestions on something that can be applied to make the belt "stickier" or is a replacement required?

If it's a Tandon mech (drive made in Singapore) just get new belts here: 

https://console5.com/store/fabric-reinforced-belt-for-atari-1050-tandon-tm100-4p-floppy-drive.html

The whine could be coming from the felt pressure pad (try carefully turning the pad where it's clipped in) or the top/bottom spindle, which you can work in some 3-in-1/sewing machine oil into.

also consider tight disk jackets... and lubrication needed on spindle and the spindle hub bearings and shafts.

you may find the pressure pad needs a ever so light cleaning.

the disk jackets edge can be unpinched by pressing the disk jacket edge perpendicular to a rounded table edge and sliding with enough pressure to un-flatten and re-square the edge letting the disk spin easily again.

• Like 1

ive had a couple of 1050s that had dry spindle bearings which made the drives noisy, despite working reliably.

it requires unscrewing the upper steel frame to make enough room for access.

there is a v.small circlip on the spindle. it allowed me to remove 1 bearing, which then gave access to the other.

a dose of light oil and some manipulation and now they are nice and quiet 🙃

Edited by xrbrevin
brainfart
  • Like 2

The whine generally comes from old diskettes where the oxide coating isn't as slippery as it originally was causing oscillation against the felt pad. There's not much you can do but transfer to disks in better condition. Some brands held up a lot better than others.

Edited by Bryan

• 2 months later...

i seem to recall that the nearest universal belt size has a wider band to it and thus it wont stay on the capstan of the motor. if you can find a precise way of slicing it - let me know! any imperfection in the cut will create a weakness that wont last..

this is the reason why people have to buy from the aforementioned supplier. i think he must get them made or something..

there is a bloke on UK ebay that sells the various tape drive belts, maybe message him and see if he can supply or advise an alternative?

• Thanks 1