IGNORED

Virtual Boy LR tuning info

First I'd like to say I got a virtual boy consolized with two virtual taps or as I call it a virtual double tap.  Each with a color adjustment so I leave the left eye at red and I put the right eye at cyan.  And in theory I should get a monochrome anaglyph 3D image.

I am aware of the original Virtual Boy is a lot closer to your face than a typical tv and has an adjustment lever to deal with left/right centering correctly.

These are the results I got when I was streaming:

On the postage stamp size HDMI capture card when looking at the whole screen image,  the 3D looks convincing it's not the whole 16x9 screen it's about a quarter of it and my monitor starts at 24 in but it's only a fraction of that picture showing other stuff on OBS that I could use to edit.

The 3D effects on that capture look convincing.

However when I play it on live TV on my Sony Wega CRT TV to minimize ping, I noticed that the 3D effects are off.

I got a couple options on my VGA to composite adapters.  They have image adjustments where I could grow and shrink and shift vertically and horizontally the pictures.

I started it out with 5 minutes total electrical cut off reset and plugged it back in to clear all memory of previous settings.

On a 20-in CRT TV, being a meter away from the TV causes 3D distortion while I'm playing.

However if I move my chair back to 3 m the 3D looks more convincing however I don't have enough "rope" to get to 3 m and play at the same time.

I think because the Nintendo required so much adjustment on their end because it was so close and so big relative to your eyeballs based on how close it was, it seems anaglyph technology and 3D in general is optimized for a certain range to look best in 3D.  I think that's why most video games ask you to tell the video game machine what size TV are you watching on,  to do the 3D effects correctly.

I know the 3D adjustment scale was part of the Virtual Boy system.

It's a difference on a big screen really is a micro adjustment just like a close screen is on the original Virtual Boy, may I have some general strategies on how to optimize an anaglyph picture for a certain distance?  Is it so minute  that on a 3D capture card it will not matter much especially a resolution of 320 x 240, but on a CRT TV it does matter how you adjust it?

Also will adjusting for the CRT TV screw it up for the twitch broadcast?

Also how did the physical adjusters work on the Nintendo Virtual Boy? With a pivotal pointers that rotated your eyeball perspective in and out, or were they lateral sliders that shifted your perspective inward and outward?

Also I'm going to test a 10-in in car TV that's a CRT TV that I have from old times, and see if the 3D is better just due to the smaller scale.  In fact I'll try that first before going to the adjusting of the screens.

Also everything looks to be in scale in 2D with one eye and the left and the right eye seem to agree with each other on capture card.  Which controls should I adjust first if I plan to adjust horizontal sliding or growing / shrinking of the pictures?  Which direction should I go: apart (red eye to the left, cyan eye  to the right) or together? And what should I do first grow or shrink?

I know the second screen of the Nintendo Virtual Boy screen is an eye adjustment screen.  What should ideally the screen look like if it was converted to right and cyan should it look like a 2d Virtual Boy and should the four corners make a perfect square in 2d and not a trapezoid or some other weird quadrilateral?

@NeonSpaceBeagle I'm not stoned and I can't barely follow that post, too much going on in multiple directions.

That said... I can attempt a little here.

Yes it's optimized for close up 3D done over a pair of rapidly moving mirrors/LEDs that pop out red due to the ruby lenses your face goes up against, internally it's a black and white system.  To double tap this, never heard of this before, seems like overdoing it, especially if you want to somehow stream this and in 3D??  I'm honestly not sure how this would get accomplished really, you basically need to send a pair of competing images at the same exact time with them just offset enough to create the effect, and doing this definitely is going to create a difference per person, per screen, per screen type being used.  I'm not sure this can be overcome, but I'm not some electrical and optical engineer either.

VB itself though, as I said, you have a pair of motors that at an insanely fast speed pivot a pair of rectangular mirrors internally and the little PCBs with the LEDs on them cast an image onto the mirror, that then  bends that visual data to each independent eye which pops up for red to us due to the whole design of it and the ruby caps too we peer into.  Now because each person has different quality sight, and as everyone has different set faces which means eyes aren't exactly in the same place too, you have TWO adjusters on a VB.  There's the knob, then there's the slider.  The knob is an up/down twist of how it angles the image you see.  Slide it all the way up it bends the image one way, down the other, and each person has a sweet spot where the 4 squares about the corners all show up just fine, and that's that.  The slider, that is your distance knob, distance between your two eyes, some people have a narrow gap, many around the middle, and some have wide set eyes like a gray alien. ;)  Basically again with the knob find that sweet spot so everything shows in focus and where the total image pops in clear.  Clarity is key.  Clarity is what keeps you from being one of those sheeple posers online who bitch about getting eye tumors and migraines.  MOST that bitching is illiterate fakes who don't read manuals and don't set it up right and pay the well deserved price.  Few though do have eye problems, partial blindness, motion sickness issues and so on and I feel bad for them as it's unavoidable and they just shouldn't play it at all on an original device.

That's really that, and I do question why the hell you'd use a CRT for a virtual boy since it was never intended to be on a CRT, ever.  The image being pumped out should be more suited to a LCD I would think, as there's no CRT involved in any of the process other than probably the old computer screen the graphics and testing were done on before moving to real hardware before production.

• Like 1