IGNORED

Anyone know how to make rubyQ work with the Flashback 9???

BIGHMW

I've always want to try this brilliant new version of Q*bert done up by @Silvio Mogno but can't because she won't work on the Flashback 9, so I am including it here so maybe someone can hack into it to make it work with it, after all, some of us are cash strapped and cannot afford a real 2600 to play it on and would rather have all the controls on the player 1 controller of the Flashback 9 instead of having to pull the console out to play it.

rubyQ_demo_22_01_2022_NTSC (2).bin

Edited by BIGHMW

8 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

I've always want to try this brilliant new version of Q*bert done up by @Silvio Mogno but can't because she won't work on the Flashback 9, so I am including it here so maybe someone can hack into it to make it work with it, after all, some of us are cash strapped and cannot afford a real 2600 to play it on and would rather have all the controls on the player 1 controller of the Flashback 9 instead of having to pull the console out to play it.

On 12/28/2022 at 11:51 AM, Silvio Mogno said:

You should play it on a real VCS or on Stella emulator

2 hours ago, Silvio Mogno said:

I don't know how the flashback 9 differs from the original VCS so I can't help you. I'm curious about it, if anyone has info please let me know.

Anyway you can always play it on Stella Emulator.

Saying the same thing a third way:

Use Stella or wait until you can afford an actual 2600.  The author of the game has told you this twice; perhaps hearing it from someone else will carry more weight than from the person actually responsible for creating the game and who is also telling you exactly what you need to do :roll:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

Most like it won't work and never will. AFAIK the FB9 is based on a looong outdated version of Stella (3.9.x, from ~2013), which does not support ARM based games like rubyQ.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Most like it won't work and never will. AFAIK the FB9 is based on a looong outdated version of Stella (3.9.x, from ~2013), which does not support ARM based games like rubyQ.

Thank you Thomas,

As I didn't know nothing about the FB9, I couldn't give a clear answer.

Now I know the answer.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 8:40 PM, BIGHMW said:

so I am including it here so maybe someone can hack into it to make it work with it

It's generally bad form to modify roms to accommodate specific hardware. The original 2600 VCS console made in 1977 serves as the gold reference standard. And any game must work on it first and foremost. All other methods and platforms for play, such as emulators or flashbacks or clone/remake consoles, must aspire to be true to the original with all best possible effort.

• Like 3

On 1/23/2023 at 3:40 AM, BIGHMW said:

rubyQ_demo_22_01_2022_NTSC (2).bin 32 kB · 10 downloads

On 1/23/2023 at 2:06 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

There is a custom firmware by @Brad_from_the_80s for the Flashback 9 (gold). I don't know if it includes a newer version of Stella, but there are 11 pages of discussion to find out.. 

23 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

There is a custom firmware by @Brad_from_the_80s for the Flashback 9 (gold). I don't know if it includes a newer version of Stella, but there are 11 pages of discussion to find out.. 

I doubt it. The reason why so many consoles are stuck with a very outdated version of Stella is, that Stella switched to hardware acceleration with 4.0. And for that you need hardware drivers, which usually are not available for these console. The R77 is a rare exception, because @DirtyHairy managed to provide a driver for Stella.