IGNORED

Problem with my new VCS

jeremiahjt

19 hours ago, Zonie said:

Atari, Slow the Fk down when you release new products.

The VCS was a Fred Chesnais CEO product...not something created during Wade's time.

Unfortunately- likely due to timing- both of Covid, and Wade- it was never released ROW- and then that gives excuse to 'not many of them out there' so not much reason for them to improve / support it...

Had Wade had the balls to push it out globally (can't even buy one in Canada for F's sake)... it would have done much better.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PowerDubs said:

The VCS was a Fred Chesnais CEO product...not something created during Wade's time.

Unfortunately- likely due to timing- both of Covid, and Wade- it was never released ROW- and then that gives excuse to 'not many of them out there' so not much reason for them to improve / support it...

Had Wade had the balls to push it out globally (can't even buy one in Canada for F's sake)... it would have done much better.

gotcha.

9 hours ago, PowerDubs said:

You're right but the VCS is always available in the USA from atari.com and all above that Atari continues to support it. Indeed, the Atari's games under Unity Engine are released on it. In addition the AtariOS has the right to a team that makes the updates. The last one is in March 2024 and the next one is announced for this month.

Moreover, AtariVCS should receive soon Polymega extension : "The Atari VCS will add support for the Polymega App and the Polymega Remix add-on. This will effectively provide all of the functionality of a Polymega console to Atari VCS owners."

For a worldwide release, there are still some problems.

The first, the update out of the box which still doesn't work because unfortunately an update passed on the server side I think makes there an incompatibility with the first OS that was installed on the factory side. 

So you always have to update the OS with a usb key when unboxing the console. Once done, there is no more problem. New online updates are compatible.

The second is that the Atari OS doesn't have an implementation to choose its keyboard layout! Sorry but in France for example our keyboards are AZERTY not QWERTY and we have accents on our letters of the alphabet like in Spain or Italy... This can be fixed by updating the OS...I think.

Finally, in some areas of the world, electronic objects must obtain a label. In Europe, you need a CE label. I think it costs money and it wasn't realized until the console was released in late 2020.

My opinion on all this is that there is nothing insurmountable. But that the important thing for Atari is not so much the VCS800 as the Atari os. By continuing to support the latter, Atari leaves itself the possibility in the future to embed this OS on other machines: VCS800 2, VCS1600 or + 😉

Edited by RadiATIon
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 8:38 PM, stirrell said:

Hey there,

I don't believe that any Atari.com account is connected to the VCS. I believe the VCS accounts are unique to that platform but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

To me, it sounds like you will need to flash the VCS. An Atari employee has a video of the process here:

This is the link from the Atari VCS Discord for the image to flash the VCS:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18h01VknAi8eFsCFxeEe2DiCMo1XoT6Y9/view?usp=sharing

I also had the problem with the screen being cut off on one of my older tvs. It has worked fine on all my other monitors / tvs. Unfortunately, I haven't heard of any workaround for that issue and others have experienced that problem as well.

Google Drive link isn't active.