IGNORED

Comparing some 5200 games to the CV

joeybastard

I was playing my 5200 and my CV last night and then decided to play/compare some of the titles. I'm curious how others feel about these titles. Both systems recently cleaned and the joysticks were cleaned and calibrated so that control arguments would be less of an issue.

Choplifter - I really like the CV version better. The graphics are crisper and the control on the Chopper feels tighter. Sound is about the same on both. The 5200 definitely wins on the crash animation of your chppoer though.

Miner 2049er - Again, I prefer the CV version. The CV's graphics are much sharper and the sound is better. The CV version is much harder though and the boards are in a weird order to every other version I've played. The 5200 control is nice and the gameplay being easier I can get further so that's fun. Does anybody know why the colors change on the board if you lose a man? I find that annoying.

Defender - Here the 5200 wins, hands down. The 5200 version just feels more like the arcade to me. Besides the CV version's radar doesn't do anything, it's always blank. The CV version is way too easy also.

H.E.R.O - about equal here. I think the CV version looks a little better, but it's one of the few times I prefer the 5200 stick to the CV superaction stick. Activison was really amazing in being able to get the same feel across consoles.

Beamrider -same comments as H.E.R.O.

Opinions? Other games I haven't mentioned?

I agree that the 5200 version of Montezumas Revenge is better than the Colecovision version. But that's cuz I grew up w/ the 5200 version. :D

However, on that note.

Zaxxon: Better on the Colecovision. 5200 Zaxxon is just the crappy 400/800 version :(

Defender: Like you said.. 5200 version wins by far. :D

Gorf: The nifty Colecovision version pounces all over the extremely sad 5200 version

Joust: Of course I'll pick the 5200 version of this (an all-time CLASSIC joust version by any measure). Colecovision Joust I can only play via emu's anyway :P

Yknow.. oddly enough I don't really have an opinion on the Parker Bros. ports (like Popeye and Q-bert, etc.) Who want's to weigh in? :D Or other arcade ports like Star Wars:tac, Star Trek, Pacman etc.

Popeye is good on both systems. The 5200 one looks better with fully articulated Popeye character versus CV's all white Klansman. I find the 5200 "punch" to be kind of sloppy though. I get hit by the bottles all of the time in the 5200 and almost never on the CV due to that.

Strange thing from last night... In an earlier post I mentioned CV's Defender not having a functioning radar. It never worked on my CV, just showed black.

I cleaned the cart again last night, and now the radar works! Weird. I wonder if it could have had something to dowith the stick hookup too though. Previously I was using Super Action sticks thru the roller controller, this time I went regular CV stcks direct to the CV.

I like CV Popeye better than 5200 Popeye but that's only cuz I never really understood how Popeye worked until I got the NES version.

I am planning to hook up my 5200 tonight so I'll definitely be checking out all the games I got.

I don't really have anything on the CV AND 5200 to compare right now.

I only have a few games that are on both systems, but...

* Star Wars: TAG - the nod goes to the 5200 (analog makes it bettah).

* Montezuma's Revenge - the nod goes to Coleco (sound + feel)

* Pitfall II - the nod goes to the 5200 (can't beat a bonus level)

* Q*Bert - I have to side with Coleco, it's closer to the arcade

Sorry...maybe Im just a fanboy of the 5200, but I only see one game where the Colecovision is better, and that's Galaxian. The 5200 version is good, but looks nothing like the arcade. The CV version looks great. Every other common title is so much better on the 5200 imho.

Even the ones many consider lame. Zaxxon on the 5200 isnt perfect, but it doesnt hiccup through the screens like the CV. Centipede on the 5200 without the trackball is clearly better....with the trackball the CV version is not even close. Miner 2049'er??? 5200 hands down!

Beamrider...well, that's close. I think I prefer the 2600 version to both the 5200 and the CV. :ponder:

I think the CV ports are more cartoon-ey, which still make them fun. But personally hands down the 5200 arcade ports are way better.

Again...imho. :P