IGNORED

Tandy 1000ex boot disk

centrespot

I recently got an ex as well.  And like you, I lack the original boot disks.  However, I've been using a PC and MS-DOS 3.10 boot disks pretty reliably.  

What kind of error are you getting?  If it's not reading/recognizing your disks, try cleaning your read/write heads with q-tip and some alcohol.  You may have done this already, but I've found that my drive can be pretty finicky when it comes to dirt and dust.

Edited by DistantStar001

12 hours ago, centrespot said:

I've tried several MSDOS versions and different drive units but nothing works, I read that the EX needs a specific boot disk.

No it doesn't.  I use every DOS from the included Tandy 2.11 up to MS-DOS 6.22.  

The OEM 2.11 does include some specific Tandy features, but it's not required.

What kind of disks are you using?  Are you sure they're DSDD 360K?  An HD floppy disk will not work in an EX, even if it's formatted to 360K.

9 hours ago, Turbo-Torch said:

No it doesn't.  I use every DOS from the included Tandy 2.11 up to MS-DOS 6.22.  

The OEM 2.11 does include some specific Tandy features, but it's not required.

What kind of disks are you using?  Are you sure they're DSDD 360K?  An HD floppy disk will not work in an EX, even if it's formatted to 360K.

Not sure what format most of the floppy disks are, the labels don't say and I've tried lots of disks.

One of them is DSDD 360kb (see photo)

I've decided to change the Floppy Drive Controller Chip seeing as it's so cheap and I also have an old PC that I'm looking at installing a 5.25 drive in so that I can test the disks I have.

My original post was to see if any one had a working disk so that I could eliminate it from the problems and save time in changing drives, cleaning heads, changing chips etc

IMG_0213.JPG

Edited by centrespot

• 1 month later...

I've bought a working copy of a boot disk from a supplier in the USA and they tested the disk on their 1000EX before posting, I'm still getting "insert system diskette"

I also bought another drive unit from eBay listed as "TEAC FD-55BV 360k DS DD 5.25" FDD floppy disc drive" and that also gives the same error message.

Will any 5.25 360k FDD work in a Tandy 1000 EX ?

Edited by centrespot
font size error

Did you clean the heads (as mentioned by DistantStar) before trying that new disk?  

If not, there's a good chance the build up will instantly etch and destroy any new disk you insert.

The new drive you bought may be fine, but you may have destroyed that new disk if you tried it in the old drive first.

Look closely for radial scratches on the disk surface.

Also, there's nothing special about the EX drive.  It's just a DSDD 360K unit.

The 55BV should be fine as long as the jumpers are set correctly.

Edited by Turbo-Torch

1 hour ago, Turbo-Torch said:

Did you clean the heads (as mentioned by DistantStar) before trying that new disk?  

If not, there's a good chance the build up will instantly etch and destroy any new disk you insert.

The new drive you bought may be fine, but you may have destroyed that new disk if you tried it in the old drive first.

Look closely for radial scratches on the disk surface.

Also, there's nothing special about the EX drive.  It's just a DSDD 360K unit.

The 55BV should be fine as long as the jumpers are set correctly.

Yes I cleaned the drives several times before trying the disks.

No scratches on the disks.

What should the jumpers be set to

Edited by centrespot

1 hour ago, centrespot said:

What should the jumpers be set to

https://retrocmp.de/fdd/mitsubi/htandy.pdf

Around page 64.

17 minutes ago, centrespot said:

Incidentally, if the drive is not fitted I get the exact same error message.

Is the drive doing anything?  Spinning up, trying to seek tracks, red light on?

1 hour ago, Turbo-Torch said:

Is the drive doing anything?  Spinning up, trying to seek tracks, red light on?

Yes, it goes through the usual motions and the red light comes on (both the original and the replacement drives).

I read somewhere while trying to find a solution that there is a "buffer" between the drive and the controller chip, would that be correct and if so would it cause this issue.

Edited by centrespot

1 hour ago, centrespot said:

I read somewhere while trying to find a solution that there is a "buffer" between the drive and the controller chip, would that be correct and if so would it cause this issue.

It's possibly a controller issue, but I've not heard of that happening.  The EX is usually very reliable.  

Try posting about your problem in the Tandy section of vcfed.org

There are at least two guys there who are extremely knowledgeable when it comes to the internal workings of the EX/HX series.

If you're new to the forum, you have to be patient as your first 10 posts won't show up right away.  Mods have to ok each one which could take up to a day.  It's a spam deterrent thing.