IGNORED

Star Raiders - AI Comedy

MrFish

31 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

It's probably not anything related to what your posting, an all of this stuff needs a new home far away from youtube/google but there's some food for thought

Not sure what that's about (other than someone playing Star Raiders). So, no, it doesn't appear to have anything to do with what I'm posting about -- other than being the same game.

Alright... the video I posted demonstrates that if the player just "parks", the enemies simply dance about and fire past him, indefinitely. As I stated above, from an AI standpoint, the enemies ought to be blasting the player to death -- being that he's a sitting duck.

2 minutes ago, Keatah said:

In the Warrior & Commander missions, Zylon fire is much more accurate. Get taken out almost immediately if you sit around lollygagging.

Yes, and no.

This video shows, basically, the same scenario in a Warrior Mission. From the position shown, I received no damage getting there and did nothing special to keep from getting hit.

25 minutes ago, ClausB said:

But also you can't hit them from there, right?

That's right, they're safe from the player's fire. As I said, there is no benefit to the player -- other than being safe from being hit; and of course your bases will continue to be surrounded and attacked -- while you enjoy the entertainment. I find it a bit humorous, and I'm surprised they weren't programmed to attack at some point.

14 minutes ago, Keatah said:

It takes longer in Warrior.

Longer to get hit by them? In the video I uploaded from the Warrior mission, I never got hit (continued to let it go after I stopped recording). The missions never ended until they eventually surrounded and destroyed all of my bases.

14 minutes ago, Keatah said:

But quickly in commander.

I can produce the same scenario in the Commander mission, only I need to take serious damage first. So far, I've only been able to do it when my engines are destroyed; but they'll go into the same pattern, indefinitely.

TBH, I never really toyed with it much. My brother showed it to me back in the day (when he first gave me his computer before going off to university). It was just somewhat of an odd scenario, that would never affect real game play anyway; I still loved Star Raiders to death -- and still do.

27 minutes ago, Keatah said:

You can hit them very easily. Just sit there and fire away. In less than 20 seconds you'll score a hit. Try it out!

I had only tried it out from the Warrior mission. From the state I was in, I never could hit them (tried for a long time); but I've tried it several different times now (from Warrior mission), and sometimes they can be hit, sometimes they can't.

16 minutes ago, ClausB said:

You are right. The game was jaw-dropping at the time, so no one complained about the limited AI, I expect.

Game was THE killer app for the 400. At least I always associated it with the 400 because I had a 400. Bit'o'bias.

I also suspect that since things were so new, so young, programmers had yet to find their way with regards to rules and how long a game could go on. Exact enemy behavior. And all that. It was the pioneer days and getting across the river was an accomplishment.

As kids we poked around and discovered some stuff, some tricks, some hiding spots. But we didn't uncover everything. We didn't care too much about inconsistencies. Easter eggs..