IGNORED

Replacement C128 space bars?

I started restoring an otherwise-working Commodore 128 (not D) and melted my space bar while trying to retrobright it. Not very (retro)bright, I know 😛 - but now I have no space bar.

C128 parts systems look pretty rare outside of North America, at least on eBay. Are there other keyboards whose space bars would fit a C128? Apparently the springs from a plus/4 would work but I'd need the key itself, and at least one person scavenged a plunger from an Amiga 500 that fit.

--

Edited by Gordon Fecyk

3 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

You kidding? Well if you insist...

Not the gore I was expecting.

There are some people who sell individual keys for various 8-bits on eBay.  You also find damaged, not working, or keyboards missing keys there, as well.  Ask here in the Wanted section of the Marketplace, check eBay, also check AmiBay.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks folks for confirming some things. I can locate Amiga 500 parts-only machines easier than I could locate C128s.

So, lesson learned: Don't actually boil your keys. I did have the stove under control using a double boiler setup, but someone else decided to bake a pizza at the same time.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

I did have the stove under control using a double boiler setup, but someone else decided to bake a pizza at the same time.

Not ashamed to admit I had a hearty guffaw at this.  Ah, the best laid plans of mice and men.  No matter how controlled our environments are, they must be shared and all we can do is watch in horror and clean up the mess.

It is interesting how many variations there are of the Retrobrite recipe:

* Hydro peroxide, UV light, minimum heat

* Hydro peroxide, heat, no need of UV light

* TAED only

* UV light only, no need of hydro peroxide

etc

While all these may have similar effects to the plastic, they can't be performing the exact same chemical reaction. We know that the lasting effects of a treatment varies from months to years, and it may depend on the exact composition of the plastic to begin with.

• Like 1

I've just come to accept this "aging" of my Commodore devices and look upon it as a patina that brings an authentic distinction to them.  Like a piece of high-quality leather or crafted bronze.  😁  Besides, if I tried this sort of restoration, I'd probably screw it up and I can't afford to buy replacement parts at these going prices.

9 hours ago, hofster said:

Given the amount of buzz around the all new keycaps that everyone seems to get for their Commodores at the moment, there should be plenty of old keycaps available. At least for C64 and Amiga.

I Kickstarted new Commodore 64 key caps back in... ::checks watch:: 2016.  Never appeared.  There are other projects?

8 minutes ago, hofster said:

Too late to get on-board.  No, I backed this one:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/brand-new-colored-keycaps-for-your-commodore-c64--2/

EDIT: The project you posted was CBMStuff, and the key caps are now available at their site.  Gonna have to grab a couple of sets.

https://www.cbmstuff.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_83&product_id=110

17 hours ago, hofster said:

Maybe but I think they're only available in black. I was more thinking about all the original key caps that the buyers are removing

It so happens that I kept the key caps I removed from my A1200 when I replaced them.  The space bar looks to be in good shape.  It is yours if you want to pay shipping from Burger Land.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2023 at 10:26 PM, OLD CS1 said:

It so happens that I kept the key caps I removed from my A1200 when I replaced them.  The space bar looks to be in good shape.  It is yours if you want to pay shipping from Burger Land.

Hi @OLD CS1,

If that is the Mitsumi space bar from the Amiga I would be interested in picking that up. I have a C128 that the space bar was damaged on (broke it into two pieces 😞 ) and would love to get my 128 useable again. Please let me know if we can come to an arrangement. 

Thanks!

Mark