IGNORED

February 2023 Shooting HSC: Slap Fight MD

Steven Pendleton

It's time to terminate the flagship because Slap Fight MD is finally here! I've been waiting for this! It's on the same cartridge as Slap Fight, so put the game type in the options on special.

20230101_005121.png.d6a5a57358d514a5cdbdcb07f7ef13df.thumb.png.3bd7fb008267dc79d15ccb70bdae7b61.png

Rules:

Game type = special

Difficulty = normal

Player = 3

Once again, leave the secret Toaplan mode disabled, especially since it's not really going to help you at all.

Let's actually use the correct score submission thingy this time, okay? Here it is again.

NAME - SCORE - AREA - RAPID ON/OFF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HOW TO PLAY SLAP FIGHT MD

Compared to Slap Fight, Slap Fight MD is identical in every way except for the ways in which it isn't. Notably, you now have the Typhoon Bomber, which gives you all sorts of fun tactical options. It redirects enemy shots and picks up stars and moves them around, but you have to be careful because shots can still get through the gaps in the blast and kill you, and it will also deposit stars off screen. It is also an autobomber and activates whenever your wings are destroyed.

This game now has flying enemies, but you can't crash into them, as this is still a no-collision shooter, so feel free to fly through them without risk of destruction.

Other than that, the game plays the same: get stars, switch weapons, find secrets to get points using the required weapons, and all of that. The up+right+A+B thing that gives you a star upon starting the game or when recovering without a star to get one anyway is still here, so use it to start the game and recover.

Other than that, go forth and terminate all of the flagships! I'm going to be participating seriously this month, as I have a goal to surpass my previous high score in this game, which is just over 3 million, and now is the time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guess I'll post my opening score.  My hardware = cheapo dual link Retro-Bit, Street Fighter 2 themed time!  Picked up a few of these on the cheap (about 5 bucks on clearance at WalMart) plus some SNES ones too.  Some of those are Mega Man themed, though.

Razzie.P - 586,120 - 2-27 - on

SlapFightMD.jpg.32b056826d733bfd8f46e0bda545520e.jpg

I'll have to swing back to this one later in the month.  Not exactly winning me over at the moment.

• Like 1

25,780 1-14 on

actually got to something on this one. For anything not on my small pile of carts, I use this pos hackbox. This type of game, I normally played on GB(solar striker), GG(halley wars), SMS(aerial assault, bomber raid), or that one NES one that I managed to beat (1942), lol. I think one of my brothers stole my Arrow Flash at some point

output_image1675730137030.jpg

output_image1675730236379.jpg

• Like 1

There is a trick to that boss: since there is no collision with enemies, you can just sit on top of him and hold fire until he dies because he can't hit you. Works best with shot when you have less than max wings. At max wings it doesn't work so well, but you can still do it. It seems that doing damage faster gets you more points than doing it more slowly, so shot is probably best.

I haven't been playing this game as much as I intended; I've been mostly playing Tatsujin Ou and Out Zone recently, but I do plan to get back to this game soon.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 4:53 PM, zylon said:

25,780 1-14 on

actually got to something on this one. For anything not on my small pile of carts, I use this pos hackbox. This type of game, I normally played on GB(solar striker), GG(halley wars), SMS(aerial assault, bomber raid), or that one NES one that I managed to beat (1942), lol. I think one of my brothers stole my Arrow Flash at some point

output_image1675730137030.jpg

output_image1675730236379.jpg

Is that a hacked Xbox? How did you do this?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Trinity32 said:

Is that a hacked Xbox? How did you do this?

I hacked it, with softmod, to include emulators and libraries for Sega Genesis/MD, SMS/GG, NES, GBA, Lynx, TG16. It was one of the "clock cap" victims, and you need to play with the "open" button, until it comes on and stays on. As for my real Genny, I have a handful of real carts, and shoebox of repros. :)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Trinity32 said:

clock cap? awesome btw, too bad i'm not as tech savvy

there's a capacitor in early 2004 and older systems, that leaks acid, eating the motherboard. Usually affects the power switch function. I don't leave it plugged in, as it will turn itself on at will, lol. Being one that few would have wanted, I decided to try my hand at softmodding it. To do it, I had to borrow the dvd drive from my good one, but it was worth the efforts. :)

I repaired a 2600, and built a custom Atari 400 this week, lol

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Trinity32 said:

I forgot to ask, are we allowed continues?

Practice using as many continues as you want, but if you're playing for score you can't use continues. Pretty sure the game sets your score to 0 if you use a continue anyway.

BTW did you fix your account yet?

7 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Wow, it’s a lot easier on real hardware than on the Anbernic.

Yeah, real hardware always makes everything easier for some reason. I've tried playing on software emulators and stuff but it always feels super wrong for whatever odd reason.

Exceptions exist, of course; M2 ShotTriggers emulation is on par with real hardware in most cases, and exceeds real hardware in some cases. They aren't perfect, like the weird stuttering music in Hishouzame on Switch, but they (mostly) fixed that relatively soon after launch.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Practice using as many continues as you want, but if you're playing for score you can't use continues. Pretty sure the game sets your score to 0 if you use a continue anyway.

BTW did you fix your account yet?

Yeah, real hardware always makes everything easier for some reason. I've tried playing on software emulators and stuff but it always feels super wrong for whatever odd reason.

Exceptions exist, of course; M2 ShotTriggers emulation is on par with real hardware in most cases, and exceeds real hardware in some cases. They aren't perfect, like the weird stuttering music in Hishouzame on Switch, but they (mostly) fixed that relatively soon after launch.

I have not had a response for a few days. could you ask albert or the other admins if they could have a look for my account? and yes, I will practice a bit more. I really do like this game. It's hard, but enjoyable. I am so stoked for the others. I would practice on an actual genesis but there's all the cords and the plugs can get hot enough to fry an egg.
Hungry Frying Pan GIF by Mashed

Edited by Trinity32
  • Like 1