IGNORED

[CLOSED] Lynx High Score Club 2023: Round 1 - Robotron 2084 and Microvaders Beta

jgkspsx

I will update the scoreboards soon! For now, here’s a better score for Robotron: 119825.

E46EDCB4-EA50-46EC-9247-3296BD56B570.thumb.jpeg.7166657c18481deda9510f71c55a5311.jpeg

It’s really all about how stupid the humans are. For a decent score AND to build up your extra lives you need them not to walk into the Hulks. The only difference between this game and the games in the 70k range was how dumb the family acted.

B48F8E45-5190-4E84-A3D7-29BFB3DF2AF8.thumb.jpeg.a64d42667b56f96fc097002b705a66a5.jpeg

• Like 1

What is everyone’s control scheme of choice? C is annoyingly slow to turn but probably the best choice, B is as slow but you have to manually fire, and A does not make sense to my brain. I keep firing up and doen when I want to fire left to right and vice versa. So I stick with C.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Emulators are fair game too! That said, I tried it on my Anbernic and it felt really bad to play.

I disagree if there are save states or cheat codes possible.

It is a bit pointless to compete with a tiny Lynx screen against modern hardware/TV/controller/save states.

IMO hiscores should only count if achieved on real hardware and maybe the only exception being the "Handy" emulator/or emulators that don't allow saves states or other ways to cheat. 

After the Lynx record by SwedenLynxer was broken by someone playing on Mednafen in a matter of hours, I highly doubt it was a fair game, if you consider the absurd discrepancy in scores.

But that is you to decide. 

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, agradeneu said:

I disagree if there are save states or cheat codes possible.

It is a bit pointless to compete with a tiny Lynx screen against modern hardware/TV/controller/save states.

IMO hiscores should only count if achieved on real hardware and maybe the only exception being the "Handy" emulator/or emulators that don't allow saves states or other ways to cheat. 

After the Lynx record by SwedenLynxer was broken by someone playing on Mednafen in a matter of hours, I highly doubt it was a fair game, if you consider the absurd discrepancy in scores.

But that is you to decide. 

Yes, i played it on Mednafen but since this is a high-score focused game, there was no point for me using save states. You don't get an ending in this game, after all. That and it removes any sort of satisfaction with this kind of game and it would not be fair to SwedenLynxer, who did it on real-hardware. Oh and one more thing: i don't have a real Lynx console at the moment, since (outside of the net) finding a Lynx console where i live it's like seeing the last Crystal Pepsi in the desert.

Edited by KidGameR186496
Added further explanation
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Here are the long-established rules of play: 

While it does seem surprising that somebody who hasn’t played the game seriously before scored such an amazing score after a day’s worth of attempts, I’m not willing to say it’s suspicious. If this becomes a pattern, we can re-evaluate.

Given that I won last year’s HSC strictly on the basis of being the only person to play all of the games despite posting terrible scores on many of them, I don’t think cheating is a major concern.

Having seen and been in high score communities where suspicion is rewarded and only full videos of gameplay are considered real proof of score, that is a time-consuming and unfun way to do things. Unless everybody wants to start playing Lynx in front of a video camera, I suggest that giving a new participant the benefit of the doubt is a better idea.

@KidGameR186496, if you wanted to assuage any doubts, you could post a video of a sample game. Of course you might not be able to get to the same score but any video would help win over skeptics. It would also help establish if the game is running too slowly or is otherwise not working right.

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

Here are the long-established rules of play: 

While it does seem surprising that somebody who hasn’t played the game seriously before scored such an amazing score after a day’s worth of attempts, I’m not willing to say it’s suspicious. If this becomes a pattern, we can re-evaluate.

Given that I won last year’s HSC strictly on the basis of being the only person to play all of the games despite posting terrible scores on many of them, I don’t think cheating is a major concern.

Having seen and been in high score communities where suspicion is rewarded and only full videos of gameplay are considered real proof of score, that is a time-consuming and unfun way to do things. Unless everybody wants to start playing Lynx in front of a video camera, I suggest that giving a new participant the benefit of the doubt is a better idea.

@KidGameR186496, if you wanted to assuage any doubts, you could post a video of a sample game. Of course you might not be able to get to the same score but any video would help win over skeptics. It would also help establish if the game is running too slowly or is otherwise not working right.

I could do a 1-2 minute video to show how the game runs on the Wii Mednafen emulator on the standard difficulty, post it on my YouTube channel and later put the link here. I'll get around it tomorrow since i just came from work as i'm posting this. Wish me luck playing it one handed while filming the video with my phone XD

To add further explanation, this is the second time i became seriously interested in high-score and time attack challenges since my days at Planet Virtual Boy, where i currently hold the best time on one of the games.

Edited by KidGameR186496
Added further explanation
  • Thanks 1