IGNORED

Adam + F18A + Expansion Module 1

timepilot

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know whether the Adam, with an F18A board, will work with Expansion Module 1?  My understanding is that the Adam, with an F18A board, will work with the Super Game Module, but I have not been able to find a clear answer re whether it also works with Expansion Module 1.

Time-sensitive inquiry here.  Any prompt responses would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

1 hour ago, timepilot said:

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know whether the Adam, with an F18A board, will work with Expansion Module 1?  My understanding is that the Adam, with an F18A board, will work with the Super Game Module, but I have not been able to find a clear answer re whether it also works with Expansion Module 1.

Time-sensitive inquiry here.  Any prompt responses would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance!

From what I know is that the EXP #1 is nothing more than an Atari 2600 that uses the power, ground, Audio out, Video out and the clock for it's CPU.

No access to the ADAM or Coleco VDP no matter what it's using.

To prove this point you can find the schematic and instructions of how to convert your EXP #1 into a full Atari 2600 as well as a youtube video if I am not mistaken.

From what I know the Edwardo Mello SGM is ram expansion with a sound chip not included in the Colecovision and ADAM for the sound Chip.
It is primarily used to play MSX #1 ports.

Edited by Captain Cozmos

1 hour ago, timepilot said:

Hi Everyone,

I have the F18a mod

It does NOT work with expansion 1 and yes does work with the SGM

Edited by rietveld

8 minutes ago, rietveld said:

I have the F18a mod

It does NOT work with expansion 1 and yes does work with the SGM

Rietveld,

Thank you very much.  Follow-up question:

Does Expansion Module 1 work with an F18A-modified ColecoVision, plus the following composite mod?  Does this composite mod create composite output directly from Expansion Module 1, or is it somehow coming out of the ColecoVision itself?  And would this composite mod work while using Expansion Module 1 with an F18A-modified Adam?

6 minutes ago, timepilot said:

Rietveld,

Thank you very much.  Follow-up question:

Does Expansion Module 1 work with an F18A-modified ColecoVision, plus the following composite mod?  Does this composite mod create composite output directly from Expansion Module 1, or is it somehow coming out of the ColecoVision itself?  And would this composite mod work while using Expansion Module 1 with an F18A-modified Adam?

This is probably not what you want to hear but no

I have a F18a modded Colecovision also and the SGM works ( because i am pulling sound from c88) but the expansion 1 does not

I dont have a composite mod because i just use the VGA out from the f18a but I suspect a composite mod will not work since the F18a replaces the VDG and does not send tvideo to the RF modulator

Edited by rietveld

On 2/1/2023 at 5:37 PM, rietveld said:

Here is my colecovision connected to a vga monitor and my TV via rf out

As you can see i get nothing from the RF out so i suspect you won't have any composite from there either 

IMG_20230201_173448_361.jpg

IMG_20230201_173457_138.jpg

Thank you.  Is there a way to mod Expansion Module 1 to directly output composite video, in order to bypass the F18A-modded CV/Adam for everything other than power supply (and audio)?

14 hours ago, Bmack36 said:

You can still access the RF or composite output for the Exp Mod 1 after putting in an F18a. You won't get CV games on the RF/composite since the TMS is removed, but the 2600 will use that output since it doesn't go to the through the F18a.

Wont work on a f18a modded colecovision using the expansion 1

8 hours ago, timepilot said:

Are there instructions available on how to mod Expansion Module 1 to become a stand-alone machine with its own PSU and AV-out?

I’ve seen a couple of such projects posted in these Forums, but don’t recall any mod instructions being shared.

it would be a lot easier, cheaper and faster to buy a Coleco Gemini or an Atari 2600 system.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2023 at 10:05 AM, timepilot said:

Who does that mod and how do I purchase one?!

If you can get the kit, you might consider finding a local TV repair type person to do the mod.  These kind of mods from what I've seen don't require extensive custom knowledge about the hardware, just clear instructions and decent soldering skills should allow any repair person worth their salt to do the work and you save on cost and risk of shipping things around.  I had my Odyssey 2, Coleco and Intellivisions modded by a local guy for $35-45 each.. 

• Like 1