IGNORED

2023 BASIC 10Liner contest is on!

@_The Doctor__ here is a more detailed explanation: SuperCharger BASIC for the C64 binds Atari 2600 soft TIA and RIOT VM's to the game ROM binary for the Commodore 64 allowing Atari 2600 games to run natively as C64 games.

As you can see the BASIC listing above manipulates Atari 2600 registers, they exist as zero page shadow registers for the soft TIA architecture.  

A soft ANTIC chip is also included in the BASIC runtime that works the same way to add Atari 8-bit display list functionality.

Interesting fact if the VM for the TIA and RIOT are removed, the Atari game can still run on a real Atari 2600 with the soft ANTIC VM.

Hope some Atari 8-bit programmers try it out to write some 10 liners for the Atari 2600 and the C64! :) 

• Like 1

After a week, there are 9 entries in the NOMAM site:

• 3 PUR-80
    • 2 C=64
    • 1 Vic-20
  • 1 PUR-120
    • 1 Enterprise 128
  • 5 WILD
    • 1 PC
    • 2 Amiga
    • 2 non-BASIC but LUA !!!

More than a half of the entries aren't neither for 8-bit computers/systems, games, tenliners nor BASIC. Why is people sending this kind of entries? The rules are clear:

12th Edition of BASIC 10 Liner Contest

Legal systems:

All 8-bit computer systems

Authorized BASIC dialects:

All line orientated BASIC dialects are allowed

with a restriction in the category "PUR-80"

On 2/5/2023 at 6:58 AM, Mr SQL said:

I'm going to enter blitzii for the Commodore 64 written in SuperCharger BASIC.

Will blitzii (PUR-120 for C=64) be also submitted for the 2600?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vitoco said:

After a week, there are 9 entries in the NOMAM site:

• 3 PUR-80
    • 2 C=64
    • 1 Vic-20
  • 1 PUR-120
    • 1 Enterprise 128
  • 5 WILD
    • 1 PC
    • 2 Amiga
    • 2 non-BASIC but LUA !!!

More than a half of the entries aren't neither for 8-bit computers/systems, games, tenliners nor BASIC. Why is people sending this kind of entries? The rules are clear:

Will blitzii (PUR-120 for C=64) be also submitted for the 2600?

No I already submitted it for the 2600 at the 2021 contest! :) 

Hope you will try this cross platform BASIC.

2 hours ago, Bunsen said:

We actually need to think about adopting wild programs.

WILD category was for games that didn't fit in contest's categories or rejected by any reason. I remember:

• "is not a game" (then move to the "SCHAU" category which accepts other kind of BASIC tenliners).
  • A game that had 11 lines (numbered from 0 to 10, without counting REM/comment only lines).
  • Some source lines were longer than 256 (but no entries were received for the FREI category in 2018).
  • Included assemby routines or built a custom one using portions of the OS routines (SYS calls are OK if that is the only way to access extensions on given machines).

Of course, PUR-80 entries that are not written in a factory built-in dialect should not be rejected by that reason, because they can compete in the PUR-120 category.

Entries in the WILD category shouldn't go through the evaluation of the judges after the deadline. So, which is the motivation to submit something that was not written in BASIC to a BASIC contest? Which is the reason to send a program that has more than 10 lines of code to a tenliner contest?

If they only want visibility, then do not publish them in the listing, because they were rejected submissions. WILD=REJECTED=TRASH... Don't waste your time.

2 hours ago, Tickled_Pink said:

Out of curiosity, is this contest for the most common or built-in BASICs for each platform or can someone enter with a TurboBasic or Basic XE entry?

You can use any of the available BASICs for the platform, except for PUR-80 category, where it must be built-in Atari BASIC.

I can say that the most common flavor for Atari computers has been TurboBasic XL. I've also seen lots of Atari BASIC, a couple BASIC XL/XE/A+ and, in the latest years, many FastBasic games.

2 hours ago, Tickled_Pink said:

Decided to have a go. Haven't written anything in Atari BASIC (or probably any other BASIC for that matter) for 25 years.

That might be the same number of years without programming in BASIC when I tried my first tenliner some years ago.

If you want to return to BASIC, try the new FastBasic language. It was built over TurboBasic XL's syntax, but it does not have line numbers (so no GOTO statement). It provides DO-LOOP, FOR-NEXT, REPEAT-UNTIL, WHILE-WEND, IF-ELSE-ENDIF, PROC-ENDPROC+EXEC, so you can do everything without line numbers. It is a lot faster than AtariBasic because it uses integer variables instead of flotating point (BCD), but you can still use FP with variables of that datatype if required.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

After a month, there are 44 entries, and only one is for the A8: TIC-TAC-TOE. Well, not exactly... this game was developed using ugBASIC and it is multiplatorm, so it is not just for the Atari, but also for C64, MSX, TRS-80 and more. Interesting!

No Atari developers this year?

PUR 80 still makes no sense with rule of built in BASIC, Atari had 2 Official BASICS, Atari BASIC (A,B,C) and ATARI Microsoft BASIC (1,II)

They were all put out by Atari, That's why the DISK and CARTRIDGES say Atari and are on official Atari Media and Official Atari Carts.

Early Magazines put out their Atari listings as Atari Microsoft BASIC listings.

Edited by _The Doctor__

On 3/3/2023 at 11:40 PM, vitoco said:

After a month, there are 44 entries, and only one is for the A8: TIC-TAC-TOE. Well, not exactly... this game was developed using ugBASIC and it is multiplatorm, so it is not just for the Atari, but also for C64, MSX, TRS-80 and more. Interesting!

No Atari developers this year?

There's one and what a great one (Category “EXTREME-256”: Program a game in 10 lines (max 256 characters per logical line, abbreviations are allowed)):

https://bunsen.itch.io/jumpman-by-eric-carr

The way things are adding chars/gfxs and soft sprites for creatures can make a 'type of' Super Mario (on his page the gameplay shows different levels colours/luminances)...

:)

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Boy am I glad I reacquired an XEGS so I can enjoy games my 5200 can't play. I can't wait to dig into my 8-bit library for the first time since last year. Yes both the 5200 and the XEGS have their strengths and weaknesses but I  have my XEGS serving exclusively for the games that can't be played on Big Sexy or that are not (currently) available for her. It's great to have both.

Edited by BIGHMW

Hi!

I submitted 3 games:

Beetles
Category: PUR-120
Language: FastBasic 4.6
Page: https://www.vitoco.cl/atari/10liner/BEETLES/
Download: https://www.vitoco.cl/atari/10liner/BEETLES/BEETLES.ATR

Coordinator
Category: PUR-80
Language: Atari BASIC
Page: https://www.vitoco.cl/atari/10liner/COORD/
Download: https://www.vitoco.cl/atari/10liner/COORD/COORD.ATR

Sweeper
Category: EXTREM-256
Language: FastBasic 4.6
Page: https://www.vitoco.cl/atari/10liner/SWEEPER/
Download: https://www.vitoco.cl/atari/10liner/SWEEPER/SWEEPER.ATR

Enjoy them!!!

• Like 14

Driving since I was 6 years old and would fail your coordination test. No tickets for driving, no accidents. I'd still fail the coordination gizmo test. What the hell is that contraption and where in world is that done to people.

Your game will be a driving test coordination improver, as such I will have to play it forever.

• Haha 1

Finally, after the deadline, there are 88 entries for 2023 contest. These are some stats:

Categories:

• PUR-80: 37
  • PUR-120: 9
  • EXTREM-256: 19
  • SCHAU: 11
  • WILD: 12

Platforms:

• Amstrad CPC: 5
  • Atari 8-bit: 6
  • Commodore 16, 64 & VIC20: 29
  • Commodore Amiga: 2
  • Enterprise 128: 2
  • IBM: 1
  • Mattel Aquarius: 1
  • MSX & MSX2: 11
  • Oric Atmos: 2
  • PICO-8: 3
  • Sinclair ZX81: 3
  • Sinclair ZX Spectrum: 11
  • Tandy TRS-80's: 6
  • TI 99/4a: 1
  • TIC-80: 1
  • Videoton TV Computer: 2
  • Multi platform (including Atari): 2

Languages:

• BASIC: 84
  • LUA: 3
  • Unknown: 1

Authors:

• Matteo "Toolkitman" Trevisan: 7
  • FeCO: 6
  • Kevin Prosser: 5
  • 2 authors: 4
  • 4 authors: 3
  • 8 authors: 2
  • ~34 authors: 1

So, it seems that atarians lost interest in this contest. Only 7 games (including 2 multiplatform ones) and one demo from 4 authors.

Also, I don't know why someone could send non-BASIC or non-8-bits or non tenliner entries to an 8-bits BASIC tenliners contest.

I took all Atari entries and put them in a single ATR with a menu. It must be booted with BASIC enabled. Two of them offers PAL and NTSC versions, and other two require you to type "run" when you get a black splash screen. A couple of game show garbage on P/M area when run in Altirra with memory power-up pattern is not "clear" (check for that option). Game explanations are also included in the disk image, press RETURN key to see the secondary DOCs menu.

Let's wait for the contest results in a week. @Bunsen @skr Is a stream of the event planned?

NOMAM2023.atr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow no Atari ST and oddly very few Atari 8 bit entries, but there is the normal Commodore explosive diarrhea level discharge. I did see a push on a number of C forums to make stuff, and very little on A forums. I suppose the Atari offering will do in quality what the other does in quantity.

The jocular question was from earlier conversations, and I am glad it got the same response, and with a nice degree of levity. :)

It still begs the question, since it's continues to be in the list, where are they putting the Amiga stuff?

I did not read the final thoughts on that.

Edited by _The Doctor__

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing all the Atari 8-Bit 10 Liner Contest Entries on tonight's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing all the Atari 8-Bit 10 Liner Contest Entries on tonight's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Pick the Star tenliner from @spotlessmind1975 is missing from that list. It was included in my ATR compilation.

There is an 8th Atari entry in the contest, but it is not a game but a demo, so it's OK to discard it.

BTW, Eric Carr joined the AA community... @The Car I hope he could also join the stream.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2023 at 6:51 AM, carlsson said:

Isn't Amiga wild, just like TI-99/4A is even with built-in, limited TI BASIC just because it has a 16-bit CPU?

Maybe they are going by the bus architecture? the TI-99/4A has it's 16-bit CPU on an 8-bit bus to work with the rest of the 8-bit chips in the system like the TRS-80 Color Computer. I think the Amiga similarly has a 32-bit 68000 CPU on a 16-bit bus.