IGNORED

ChatGPT on Tipi ?

Archimedes5000

This entry is for Jedmiatt42, the inventor of the TIPI. One tool on everyone's lips these days... ChatGPT. I read an article about ChatGPT on the Raspberry PI, which already has a programming interface to it. The Tipi is based on this system and I thought: What if there is an interaction between ChatGPT and the Ti99 using the Tipi. A 40 year old computer that can answer the questions of the universe and writes its own programs... All you would need would be 3 pipes from the TI99 to the TIPI in the DSR ROM. The first direction to the Raspberry, the second to the TI99 display and the 3rd directly as an output on the floppy to write your own programs yourself. Now if anyone thinks I took a too hot shower this morning. Yes, of course! But start ChatGPT and ask him for a program in MicroPython on the PI Pico for a traffic light control with the sequence green, green yellow, red. ChatGPT writes you a finished program. And damn it.... the TI99 has the techniques to use this thanks to TIPI if there's still some room in the DSR Rom. Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge and I don't have the time to develop it. I also have to use translate.google.com for the English translation, sorry for that. But maybe it will provide some inspiration. Greetings from someone who grew up with the TI99 in his youth and thinks the development of the system over the last few years is really cool!
Axel

You can do this yourself... Just install ChatGPT on the PI. Give it a TCP or UDP interface instead of the PIPE nonsense, and you won't need to update anything about TIPI. 

There should be no need to extend the TIPI DSR... 

If you want tighter integration, extend the SpecialFiles.py - PI.<whatever> device. TIPI's architecture allows adding all kinds of special files with a pretty simple name registry to separate python scripts that can handle open, close, read, write, status, save and load operations. This is how I implement PI.CLOCK, PI.TCP, PI.UDP... etc, and make all these feature accessible to TI BASIC without having to extend the DSR ROM.

That said, I have no interest in turned the PI attached via TIPI into a general compute device. Nor have I any interest in ChatGPT.

From my point of view, we've both solved the problem. So there is no need to actually do it.

• Like 3

The Bot is not likely to write even short programs that are free of errors. From my understanding, it is guessing at each line, combining code snippets that it has taken from a lot of magazines or programming books, which were nice enough to put explanatory text alongside the code.

So for TI BASIC, you get a mixture of   programming language dialects, like everything you might find in the same issue of Compute. 

• Like 2

A better way that doesn't saddle TIPI with an immanently outdated and restrictive interface to your ChatGPT extension, would be to write an external HTTPS proxy that makes the ChatGPT request and returns a TIFILES file ready to use. TIPI can load files directly from a URL. 

And for clarification, all of my responses in this thread have been TIPI support. 

• Like 4

On 2/5/2023 at 10:49 AM, Archimedes5000 said:

If you don't support something, it can't get any better.

I rarely seen any commercial product as well supported as TIPI, Classic99, BASIC Compiler, RXB, Ti99Dir, TI-MAME, ... All free hobby projects. Just don't expect someone else to develop your project. Unless $$$$. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

And then people seem to expect it to learn. the 'PT' part in the name is Pre Trained. From what I've read, the feedback goes to the programming group, and not the AI itself. It'll never learn 9900 assembly, or even ANSI BASIC. The best thing you could do to make this sort of thing applicable to the 4A is publish webpages with accurate examples of code. Then in the mean time while we wait for OpenAI to care about us as a focus group, all of us OIs can leverage the documentation we've produced and make our own cool $#!^. 

• Like 1

When you converse with someone you cannot expect completely correct statements. Rather, it depends on how confident the person conveys a statement. Don't compare artificial intelligence to an encyclopedia. When conversing with an intelligent being, you do not know under what circumstances the synapses in the brain have found each other to actually make the statement that you get during a conversation. So I don't expect an executable program in one of the basic dialects for the TI99. So I see ChatGPT as a next step towards the future, which the community has proven in recent years that the TI99 is quite capable of doing, despite its age. Microsoft - who bought ChatGPT for a handful of dollars- will integrate it with Bing and Edge, also sees it that way. At the moment, ChatGPT probably cannot say where his own journey will lead to. So we hope that the interface will stay with us there on the PI. For example - Powershell is also available for the PI. Otherwise the PI also has a free license for Wolfram Alpha. (Sorry for using translate.google.de) 🙂 

1 hour ago, Archimedes5000 said:

When you converse with someone you cannot expect completely correct statements. Rather, it depends on how confident the person conveys a statement. Don't compare artificial intelligence to an encyclopedia. When conversing with an intelligent being, you do not know under what circumstances the synapses in the brain have found each other to actually make the statement that you get during a conversation. So I don't expect an executable program in one of the basic dialects for the TI99. So I see ChatGPT as a next step towards the future, which the community has proven in recent years that the TI99 is quite capable of doing, despite its age. Microsoft - who bought ChatGPT for a handful of dollars- will integrate it with Bing and Edge, also sees it that way. At the moment, ChatGPT probably cannot say where his own journey will lead to. So we hope that the interface will stay with us there on the PI. For example - Powershell is also available for the PI. Otherwise the PI also has a free license for Wolfram Alpha. (Sorry for using translate.google.de) 🙂 

As another example of AI this translation from Deutsch(?) to English is amazing.

It was not nearly this good 10 years ago as I recall.

I see only one word that made me think this was not written by a native English speaker. "his journey " assigns a male gender to ChatGPT but I think it would be more common to say "its journey" for an inanimate thing like a computer.  

Nevertheless, remarkable technology.

10 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

There are a lot of things it is not allowed to say.

AND it has an artistic way of verbalizing an agenda, I mean, uh, a direction of thought that is, it's interpretation of how things should be said, hmm lived and thought of, kinda like google...bugs in a rug,. Must hug.

Edited by GDMike

45 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

There are a lot of things it is not allowed to say.

I can imagine it is still very difficult for a translator to handle references in a sentence. For instance, if there was a subject in the previous sentence of male gender, it cannot easily tell whether the author referred to that previous subject, or to the subject in the current sentence.

So when we are using persons exclusively, we may have this situation:

Peter said that Frank had to make up his mind where his journey would lead to.

Who does "his" refer to? Frank? Peter?

So when the original sentence was somewhat like this: "Derzeit kann ChatGPT wohl nicht sagen, wo seine Reise hingeht", with "seine" = "his", the translator cannot know whether the author assigned the male gender to ChatGPT, or whether there was some man in a previous sentence, and it is "his" journey.

(And be happy that in English, you don't have a discussion whether newly coined/imported words have male/female/neuter gender, as we have in German. The word "Quest", used in the context of e.g. RPGs, was originally imported with male gender in German (der Quest), but as I learned, over the years, people decided it should be female, "die Quest", which sounds wrong to me, so I continue to use "der" and don't give a xxx to what other people say. 🙂 )

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mizapf said:

(And be happy that in English, you don't have a discussion whether newly coined/imported words have male/female/neuter gender, as we have in German. The word "Quest", used in the context of e.g. RPGs, was originally imported with male gender in German (der Quest), but as I learned, over the years, people decided it should be female, "die Quest", which sounds wrong to me, so I continue to use "der" and don't give a xxx to what other people say. 🙂 )

Ja, das ist eine große Scheiße :) 

• Like 1

I only read this thread because TIPI was named in the topic, and I was named in the original post.

If the request wasn't to fetch an executable artifact then it must only have been to provide an interface to the server program. That doesn't push the 4A anywhere new. We have been able to interface servers since Terminal Emulator and the acoustic coupler were available. 

None of this has anything of merit to do with the 4A. 

• Like 1