IGNORED

Stella part of Atari OS - How to access it/change settings etc.

Malhavick

Okay so I don't get it and I have scoured the internet for answers to no avail. The latest Atari OS shows it has Stella installed. But for the life of me I can't see how to run it, use it, access it, configure it do anything with it.  I could just go into PC MODE and install stella on the windows 10 but if ATARI OS can run it I would rather do that.

Can someone please explain to me what I am missing. Is it just built into the code and it is using it for the Atari vault games? That would make absolutely no sense.  I want to be able to add my own ROMS and do configurations directly on the unit.

Please Please Help!!!

4 hours ago, Malhavick said:

Okay so I don't get it and I have scoured the internet for answers to no avail. The latest Atari OS shows it has Stella installed. But for the life of me I can't see how to run it, use it, access it, configure it do anything with it.  I could just go into PC MODE and install stella on the windows 10 but if ATARI OS can run it I would rather do that.

Can someone please explain to me what I am missing. Is it just built into the code and it is using it for the Atari vault games? That would make absolutely no sense.  I want to be able to add my own ROMS and do configurations directly on the unit.

Please Please Help!!!

Stella is on the AtariOS purely to run Atari 2600 titles you can download from the store.  Likewise a tweaked version of MAME is installed to run downloadable 7800 games and DOSBox for DOS games.   But they are not generally for end-users to run.
If you want to play your own stuff and do other things, you can use Linux or Windows.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Malhavick said:

Thanks for the clarifications.  Definitely not what I wanted to hear but makes perfect sense :) 

You can use Stella in the VCS with all yours roms if you want : https://discord.gg/atarivcs

In the #Guide Channel you will find Stella_Atari_VCS.pdf

This file explain how to do it.

Edited by RadiATIon

Oh this is wonderful! Thank you so much!  Just one question as I'm not super versed in doing Linux, the guide shows you how to do it but it does not say how to actually launch and play the ROMS directly on the VCS.  I assume it will be very clear how to access the rom folder from the time I boot the ATARI OS back up?

Thanks!

Normally by following all the steps, including step 4, you will display in the AtariOs menu the Stella application which is usually hidden... Once all the steps are completed, you restart the VCS under AtariOS.  By clicking on the Stella image, you will launch the application and you will have the possibility to launch all the roms that you have previously saved in the ROMS directory.

22 hours ago, RadiATIon said:

You can use Stella in the VCS with all yours roms if you want : https://discord.gg/atarivcs

In the #Guide Channel you will find Stella_Atari_VCS.pdf

This file explain how to do it.

Cool.   Does the fact that it exists on Atari's official discord mean that it has Atari's blessing?    I've been reluctant to alter anything in the Atari OS partitions because I don't know what package management I might break or what changes will get overwritten by them

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 2/4/2023 at 7:18 PM, Malhavick said:

The latest Atari OS shows it has Stella installed. But for the life of me I can't see how to run it, use it, access it, configure it do anything with it.

Just plug in a keyboard, start an Atari 2600 game and hit the Tab key to enter the Stella options menu.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! Not sure if anyone is still around but hope someone can assist.  I just powered on my VCS which I had not done for sometime. It apparently updated the OS to 20230501.150219.  When this occurred it wiped out my settings and roms for Stella that I set up using the stella access instructions that was posted above.

I followed the instructions again to get Stella back on the dashboard and my roms set up.  the changes I noticed in the bundle.ini indicate its is now Version 45 and under launchertags its both Stella;VCS not just Stella. 

Everything is up and running again, however now my classic controller which used to work no longer does. the Joystick can move around but when you load up any game it either will not work or has bizarre reactions but won't work as before.  I recall I did it wirelessly but just to make sure I tried via USB as well and it still does not work correctly.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so have you been able to resolve so the classic controller will work again?  Very upsetting.