IGNORED

Pirated Software for Sale

polyex

There was an interesting article in Juiced.GS (December 2022) about pirated software being sold on ebay... anyone think this might not be a legit "vintage" copy?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284796735881?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=gJ_o7QlCQYO&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=AbADtDVbQ2i&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by polyex

On 2/5/2023 at 1:19 PM, polyex said:

There was an interesting article in Juiced.GS (December 2022) about pirated software being sold on ebay... anyone think this might not be a legit "vintage" copy?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284796735881?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=gJ_o7QlCQYO&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=AbADtDVbQ2i&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

"Vintage"   Nope..  Disk looks Too Clean..

"Copy"    Yep...   For Sure..

Did you see the Other Auctions for Similar Disks??

MarkO

Edited by MarkO
More Info

8 hours ago, MarkO said:

"Vintage"   Nope..  Disk looks Too Clean..

"Copy"    Yep...   For Sure..

Did you see the Other Auctions for Similar Disks??

MarkO

Yes, I did. It seems like that seller has many titles like this. I can't imagine falling for it, but I guess he is hoping for a really naive person to rip off.

Pretty terrible thing to do IMHO.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 5:19 PM, polyex said:

Well, I checked and that guy hasn't sold any of his titles, so no one is gullible enough yet to think that what he's selling is legit.

Thing is, the crap he's got for sale is quite obviously fake.

What's more worrying is that it's now possible, thanks to the slew of "clean cracks" made and put into the public access by 4AM, anyone can take one of those clean cracks, make a diskette out of them, reproduce the original label and try to pass them off as original, copy protected titles, and chances are that the buyer would be none the wiser unless he actually tried to make a copy of the diskette and was successful.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

What's more worrying is that it's now possible, thanks to the slew of "clean cracks" made and put into the public access by 4AM, anyone can take one of those clean cracks, make a diskette out of them, reproduce the original label and try to pass them off as original, copy protected titles, and chances are that the buyer would be none the wiser unless he actually tried to make a copy of the diskette and was successful.

Compounding the issue is eBay makes it impossible to report sellers like this.  Almost like eBay does not care.

You can report pirated software, video or music on ebay. But I suspect you are correct and that ebay does not care. There is also bootleg car parts and other electronics everywhere on ebay and Amazon. Neither seem to care. Buyer beware. 

The problem with this is that pirated software (all 1970-1980 platforms) is sold on ebay all the time. And that is a good thing. Usually.

If it wasn't for the ability to sell 70s-80's pirated software there would be many rare titles lost. So if eBay stops people from selling brand new made pirates of classic software, they are also going to stop others from selling software that was pirated 'back-in-the-day' and therefore make it REALLY hard to archive really rare programs. For every common (big seller) game disk, there are many other programs that never sold in large numbers and are extremely rare today. Usually you can only find these in pirated software.

So even though it sucks that there are some people that try to take advantage of others on eBay, it is better that eBay doesn't stop this because it would become almost impossible to get un-archived non-game (or rare game) software.

29 minutes ago, Allan said:

The problem with this is that pirated software (all 1970-1980 platforms) is sold on ebay all the time. And that is a good thing. Usually.

If it wasn't for the ability to sell 70s-80's pirated software there would be many rare titles lost. So if eBay stops people from selling brand new made pirates of classic software, they are also going to stop others from selling software that was pirated 'back-in-the-day' and therefore make it REALLY hard to archive really rare programs. For every common (big seller) game disk, there are many other programs that never sold in large numbers and are extremely rare today. Usually you can only find these in pirated software.

So even though it sucks that there are some people that try to take advantage of others on eBay, it is better that eBay doesn't stop this because it would become almost impossible to get un-archived non-game (or rare game) software.

Between archive.org and asimov , I am not so sure about that.

4 minutes ago, polyex said:

Between archive.org and asimov , I am not so sure about that.

How do think that stuff got there? I know Asimov is old and was mostly created decades ago, but Archive.org is much newer and a big portion of classic computer stuff was added by people buying this stuff (a lot of it from eBay), archiving it and uploading it. Some of it is from disks that were pirated 'back in the day' because original copies have not been found. I have been doing this for about 15-20 years. It's always great to find original copies, but it doesn't always happen.

Here is some of my stuff I have archived:  https://archive.org/details/@allan52

On 3/5/2023 at 7:45 AM, polyex said:

You can report pirated software, video or music on ebay.

The problem I ran into was after a sale.  I bought an item to determine that it was not only pirated, but also that some of the contents were not authorized for distribution.  I confronted the seller and was refunded, but afterward I was unable to report the item.

Similar thing happened recently trying to buy a USB3 OTG connector.  The connector was actually USB2, and the seller tried to tell me that is what I ordered.  I demanded a return and refund, then afterward I could not report the item as being not as described or advertised, so the asshole is still selling the USB2 connector and gaslighting his buyers.

49 minutes ago, Allan said:

Selling stuff which is available for free is dubious.

3 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

That is were is gets complicated. I do sympathize with people getting ripped off. I wouldn't want too either. But if ebay makes a policy on this, it's going to be a blanket policy unfortunately and they will ban it all, and therefore if you have a bunch disks, some original, some pirated (back in the day), they are going to flag the whole auction. They are just to big to get this nuanced in their policies.

Ebay is going to do what they want anyways so it all academic.

3 minutes ago, Allan said:

Ebay is going to do what they want anyways so it all academic.

This is the bottom line. Without going into a deeper rant, simply put: eBay does not give two rat shits unless it can get into trouble.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2023 at 12:09 PM, OLD CS1 said:

The problem I ran into was after a sale.  I bought an item to determine that it was not only pirated, but also that some of the contents were not authorized for distribution.  I confronted the seller and was refunded, but afterward I was unable to report the item.

Similar thing happened recently trying to buy a USB3 OTG connector.  The connector was actually USB2, and the seller tried to tell me that is what I ordered.  I demanded a return and refund, then afterward I could not report the item as being not as described or advertised, so the asshole is still selling the USB2 connector and gaslighting his buyers.

In the 80s we used to buy shareware and freeware disks.  The software was not supposed to be sold but given away.

But there was (and is still I imagine) a provision that said that even thought the software was not supposed to be sold, it was ok to charge for the diskette and the service of duplicating it.

So shareware disks often sold for $10 - $15 in the 80s.  

2 hours ago, Baldrick said:

In the 80s we used to buy shareware and freeware disks.  The software was not supposed to be sold but given away.

But there was (and is still I imagine) a provision that said that even thought the software was not supposed to be sold, it was ok to charge for the diskette and the service of duplicating it.

So shareware disks often sold for $10 - $15 in the 80s.  

That depended (and depends) upon the license included with the software, and a lot of software included such rights.  Under our copyright laws and rules, the mere creation of a work gives the creator exclusive rights. Even though the US copyright office says you must register your copyright if you wish to bring a lawsuit, plenty of precedence exists which obviates the claim.  Though, having a registered copyright does make things easier, especially for the US government to become involved.

The common knowledge is that any software released on the Internet without an explicit license is, by nature of being presented publicly, available for free and to be distributed for free.  This is incorrect, but it behooves the creator to make explicit notice of any restrictions (or allowances.)  The common knowledge is also that software explicitly released free for use and distribution cannot be restricted at a later time, which is also incorrect.

Edited by OLD CS1
Improved verbiage.