IGNORED

TIPI 32K case

Keneg

I got a 3d printer, Creality Ender 3 V2 Neo, for Christmas and am trying to learn how to use it.  My TIPI/32K has been just hanging out between the TI99 and speech pack, so I decided to try to design a case for it.  I use two 90 degree mini USB adapters to provide power to the PI and hook up a USB mouse, so I had to provide openings for these.  As I was also concerned about keeping the PI cool, I provided an opening over it which also lets me see its activity light.  I almost forgot the need for a hole for the LED on the TIPI/32K to stick through.  Here are some pictures of the final result.

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

Edited by Keneg
Add Ender
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

A PI running TIPI should run fine without a heatsink. If it thermal throttles, the TIPI CPU load might go from 10% to 20%. The 4A would never notice.

But keeping it cool doesn't hurt. 

My first PI zero w overheated and burned out.  Not sure why, but I decided to add heat sinks and let air in to them to be safe.

• Thanks 1

@Keneg, so sorry to hear of the loss of your Pi 0W.

I've never (knock on wood) lost a Pi of any version but I know I would be devastated.

Keeping ANY processor chip ventilated/cooled is important.

OBTW, I like what you have done with your TIPI/32 case. I used my Ender 3 Pro, a micrometer and Tinkercad to duplicate a (as best I could) the Speech Synthesizer case. Still got a few tweeks to make so I can take off the Scotch Tape.😁

17 minutes ago, Duewester said:

@Keneg, so sorry to hear of the loss of your Pi 0W.

I've never (knock on wood) lost a Pi of any version but I know I would be devastated.

Keeping ANY processor chip ventilated/cooled is important.

OBTW, I like what you have done with your TIPI/32 case. I used my Ender 3 Pro, a micrometer and Tinkercad to duplicate a (as best I could) the Speech Synthesizer case. Still got a few tweeks to make so I can take off the Scotch Tape.😁

I need to get a micrometer.  I just used a ruler.  Caused a bit of trial and error.  I didn’t want to duplicate the speech synthesizer case, but I did use it to get the length and width right.  The top on mine just sits there, no hinges or latches.  I suppose some holes could be drilled tomadd them , if desired.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got some silver filament and decided to try printing the top of the case using it.  I think it is a better match for the TI and speech module.  The text on it certainly stands out more.  I have attached the stl files for anyone that is interested in printing their own.

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

TIPI32 Case Top (1).stl TIPI32 Case Bottom.stl

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Appeelicious said:

It looks pretty good. Have you tried matching the 99's black plastic. That could look good too. Thanks for putting out the files too :)

The bottom is black to match the computer.  I didn’t try to match the shape of the speech module.  This works better for my setup.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Keneg said:

The bottom is black to match the computer.  I didn’t try to match the shape of the speech module.  This works better for my setup.

🤩 I really like the look of your design and think it suits my setup as well. I am preparing to print, I'll post a photo when I get it finished.

thank you for the files

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Smoker Ace said:

🤩 I really like the look of your design and think it suits my setup as well. I am preparing to print, I'll post a photo when I get it finished.

thank you for the files

You are very welcome.  If you have any issues printing, I may be able to help although I am new to 3d printing, I had to solve a few issues to get good prints.  My main issue was warping.

Been meaning to post this for awhile. I printed it with TPEG filament instead of PLA. I think I get less warping/elephants foot with TPEG on a glass bed.

The hinge is built in and quite obvious.

Printing it with the best structural integrity involved a good deal of support for the top half because of the internal shelf.

I miscalculated the front screw depth and had to countersink it quite a bit because of my too short of a screw.

I don't have knock outs for a mouse or external power to the Pi but, I placed between my Ti and Speech synth so I wouldn't need external power. Everything boots up and works great. My only issue is getting my Win-11 machine to "see" the TIPI card. My other Pi machines don't have any issues seeing the network. That's a different forum though.

Screenshot_20230222-085749.png

• Like 4

On 2/22/2023 at 9:18 AM, Duewester said:

Been meaning to post this for awhile. I printed it with TPEG filament instead of PLA. I think I get less warping/elephants foot with TPEG on a glass bed.

The hinge is built in and quite obvious.

Printing it with the best structural integrity involved a good deal of support for the top half because of the internal shelf.

I miscalculated the front screw depth and had to countersink it quite a bit because of my too short of a screw.

I don't have knock outs for a mouse or external power to the Pi but, I placed between my Ti and Speech synth so I wouldn't need external power. Everything boots up and works great. My only issue is getting my Win-11 machine to "see" the TIPI card. My other Pi machines don't have any issues seeing the network. That's a different forum though.

Screenshot_20230222-085749.png

I stopped the warping entirely by REPLACING THE GLASS BED WITH A PEI bed.  I printed my original ne using PETG. The silver top is SILK PLA.

On 2/21/2023 at 8:53 PM, Keneg said:

You are very welcome.  If you have any issues printing, I may be able to help although I am new to 3d printing, I had to solve a few issues to get good prints.  My main issue was warping.

I forgot to mention that it is sized to,add small stick on feet to,the bottom.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2023 at 1:27 PM, Keneg said:

I forgot to mention that it is sized to,add small stick on feet to,the bottom.

Update: I got it printed and it works great.  Sorry for being away so long but the last of February and then March was rough, I'm back now. 😉 

Yeah, I did notice the need for feet, I put some on mine.🙂 1552889680_tipi32k1.thumb.jpg.54280b29a38de4ef8104499d18129387.jpg

I had a heck of a time with the crew getting started and keeping everything neat. Horse was not very helpful and horsed around way too much, but he is strong and did what we needed. Pig and Mouse did an exceptional job on figuring out the logistics and placement of equipment. Overall the crew did a great job and everything is working as it should.

1220609599_tipi32k2.thumb.jpg.de4f8fd3ec13441ce2e37aed77c49a19.jpg

1050260966_tipi32k3.thumb.jpg.6f23cbe1c58d39a6e75c88fc22716708.jpg

1393099913_tipi32k3ab.thumb.jpg.522c60efd2cbb74f251d542762d096de.jpg

942304261_tipi32k5.thumb.jpg.227d97a2e93e4983dbfa6c6f3ec684dd.jpg

tipi 32k6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 4/9/2023 at 10:46 PM, Keneg said:

Glad this worked out for you.  It looks great.

Hey, yeah... thanks 🙂  I really like it too. It keeps my stuff covered, it's simple, clean, looks cool and works! I've had trouble with some of the connectors on my sidecars not connecting or seating very well once a case is put on. I've even taken the little sliding doors out of the TI and speech synth's to gain an additional 1/16" or so. That and I have a couple extra speech synths and I use 3M double sided tape to stick those sidecars securely to the speech synth housings to prevent movent. I swap out a speech synth as well as a sidecar. hahahaha anyway... thanks again! yours seems to help a because it allows the TIPI to sort of 'float' between my TI and speech unit, I may be silly but I feel it provides a better connection.😉  That and I like to just lift off the lid and everything is right there...

I admire people that can design, I can 3D print things and 'tinker' someone else's STL's somewhat but have not designed or made anything of my own. I could use a square push button for my PEB tho. 'wink' ☺️

32ktipi.jpg

32ktipi1.jpg

• Like 1

@Keneg, @arcadeshopper shared a link and said it's already done so I downloaded and printed one ( a few ) because when I loaded in Cura it was HUGE and needed to be sized. 😄

I started at 13mm square on the face, ended up liking 12.7mm and a few prints later, shorter and longer, we had a good fit. LOOKS GREAT

Thank you both very much! :)

1777434217_foundagoodfit.thumb.jpg.fa661404c7f8bb2ec0d13d25243a9b8c.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

Oh, the hugeness issue is because your units in onshape are not setup before you exported.  It's a global setting for the user, not the model... I forgot about that step. I guess I should export the STLs myself and share them indirectly.

@jedimatt42 This is your design? Great job man, thanks! Yeah, I don't have an account nor did I create one... yet. I just clicked the link, then being the computer dude I was, I started clicking around looking for that download button, quickly found the xport link and downloaded as an STL... This is what I got, I laughed to myself at how large it was in Cura.  HAHAHA  Nothing to it, I figured it probably was a matter of scale.  😃

Thanks again, I can tell that the creation of it was quite detailed. 😉 Finishes out my PEB too.

Capture1.jpg

• Like 2