IGNORED

Compiling a new Atari OS...

reifsnyderb

5 minutes ago, invisible kid said:

If you mean reversing the option/basic mechanics, OPTION=BASIC ON is much much much more convenient. Advanced users will be using this, and even if we get caught by surprise by the reversal, we will learn and appreciate I think.

Yes.  Right now you have to hold the option key down to enable BASIC.  So, booting up without any devices, nor touching the option key, goes straight to the self test. 

• Like 1

Basic on or off can be controlled via software and always has been except for the original cartridge but there might be trick to that as well. I would have loved that feature to have been utilized on boot disk commercial games for sure. Fun times. I had to reverse the Altirra tick mark for BASIC. This isn't an all the time logic reversal correct, as in it only affects option during boot time like other solutions and not BASIC control across the spectrum.

1 hour ago, Mathy said:

Hello Brian

If you're thinking about removing or replacing the audio test, how about something that tests for the presence of a second Pokey?

Sincerely

Mathy

Hello,

That's an option, of course.  I am worried about going down that path due to feature creep. 

Something else could be put in other than the self test.  But, there's only 2k to work with.  I was actually contemplating the ACE 80XL until I found out it was 4k.  lol

I am open to suggestions.

Best Regards,

Brian

Once I removed the music note display, from the audio/visual test, I was able to stuff almost the entire self test code into the self test bank with 68 bytes to spare.  Outside of the self test bank, there is now 1,119 bytes free.  There is now plenty of space to put that peripheral handler loading facility, that was hidden for 40 years and never used, back in.   :-D

• Like 4

The Self Test was broken but fixable, It all could have been combined into one screen with the memory test fixed it could have helped with a number of diagnose my crap scenarios. Pokey/Graphics test was NOT really useful that's pretty certain.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Support now added for internal parallel devices.  (It only took 10 bytes.   🙂  )

I found code for the numeric keypad and am thinking about making it part of the OS.  Thoughts?

Current status:

;*        Revision 4.99 (600XL/800XL/65XE/130XE/800XE/1200XL)
;*        Added the following fixes and changes from Revision 3 (600XL/800XL/1450XLD) through
;*                Revision 3, Version 4  (600XL/800XL/1450XLD)
;*            Added IDCPU back to First 8k ROM Identification and Check
;*            Fix initial address for RAM sizing to $4000 (16k).
;*            Fix initial address for equivalence cartridge checksum to $BF00.
;*            Correct mishandling of NAK.
;*            Initialize PDVS to zero.
;*            Added support for internal parallel devices.  (IPDVI @ $D1CF and IPDIMK @ $0254)
;*            Accept device number 0 (like revision B did)
;*        Added the following changes from Revision 4, Version 0 (600XL/800XL/1450XLD)
;*            Add support for SIO fast mode (38,400 baud).
;*        Fix TXEB table for XE banking.
;*        Processing of Control F1 through Control F4 no longer affects PORTB.
;*        Reduced KRPDEL from 48 to 20 for NTSC and from 40 to 20 for PAL.
;*        Reduced KEYREP from 6 to 4 for NTSC and from 5 to 4 for PAL.
;*        Left margin set to 0.
;*        Added OS version number to self test main menu
;*        Re-added F1-F4 keys to the keyboard self test.
;*        Shift-Help toggles international character set.
;*        Control-Help sets left screen margin to 0.
;*        Shift-Control-Delete cold starts the computer.
;*        BASIC loaded only when Option key held down
;*        Reduced footprint of Self Test system.
;*      Brian E. Reifsnyder    02/16/2023

• Like 1

The first support for the CX85 Numeric Keypad is compiled in.  It can be enabled (toggled) via SHIFT-CONTROL-3.  (3 was picked because it's SHIFT/3 is the pound or number sign)  The computer boots up with this support disabled so that 2 player games of MULE can be played without a problem.  Also, the keypad support is on joystick port 2.

I left the function keys as per Atari's example code:  https://atariwiki.org/wiki/attach/AtariCX85/Atari_CX85_Numerical_Keypad_Technical_Reference_Notes_1_page.pdf

But the return key (F1) and backspace key (F2) are hokey.  I'll have to look into that some more.

Tested with real hardware.....

testos.rom

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

You are not confusing F1 & F2 of Atari Main Keyboard with F1 & F2 of CX85 i/o port keyboard possibly?

No.  The F1 key is returning a 0 and the '0' key is returning a 0.  The F1 key is special because ALLPOT is read.  Bit 4 is masked out, inverted, and shifted to the left.  That result is OR's with PORT A (which is right shifted 4 times) to become the number looked up in a table.  Like this:

CX85    =    *    ;entry
                LDA        STRIG1        ;Key pressed?
                BNE    CX8510        ;Exit if key not pressed
                LDA        #$00            ;Reset attract mode
                STA        ATRACT
;    Determine value of key pressed
                LDA        PORTA        ;Read port 2
                LSR        A
                LSR        A
                LSR        A
                LSR        A
                STA        CX85T
                LDA        ALLPOT        ;Read ALLPOT for 5th cable pin stat
                AND    #$08            ;BPOT bit mask
                EOR    #$08            ;Invert bit
                ASL        A
                ORA    CX85T        ;A has key value

LDY        #$00            ;Table index
CX851        CMP    TCX85,Y        ;Check for match
                BEQ    CX852            ;If found, proccess the value
                INY
                INY
                LDX        TCX85,Y        ;End of table?
                BEQ    CX8510        ;Exit
                BNE    CX851
;    Put new keycode in CH, reset auto-repeat
CX852        TAX                            ;Save key value
                INY                            ;Get POKEY keycode
                LDA        TCX85,Y        ;TCX85,Y
                CMP    #$FF            ;Use function key vector table?
                BEQ    CX8510        ;        EXIT FOR NOW    ADD VECTOR CODE LATER
                CMP    CX85CC        ;Same as previous keycode?
                BEQ    CX855
                STA        CX85CC        ;Store new keycode
                STA        CH                ;Put keycode in character buffer
                LDA        #$30            ;Reset CX85 timer
                STA        CX85RP        
                BNE    CX854            ;Reset BRK flag and exit
CX853        LDA        #$C0            ;Use dummy value
                STA        CX85CC
CX854        LDA        #$01            ;Reset BRK flag
                ;STA                        
                BNE    CX8510        ;Exit
;    This key is the same as the prior key, check auto-repeat
CX855        LDX        CX85RP        ;Auto repeat expired?
                DEX
                BNE    CX856            ;Branch repeat not expired
                STA        CH                ;Store keycode
                LDA        #$06            ;Reset timer shorter for repeat characters
                STA        CX85RP
                BNE    CX854            ;Reset BRK flag
CX856        STX        CX85RP        ;Store new auto repeat timer value
;    Exit
CX8510    RTS

;    SPACE    4,10
;**    TCX85 - CX85 Keypad Translation Table
;*
;*        
TCX85    DB        $0C,$0C            ;Function 1
                DB        $14,$34            ;Function 2
                DB        $10,$07            ;Function 3
                DB        $18,$26            ;Function 4
                DB        $1C,$32            ;0
                DB        $19,$1F            ;1
                DB        $1A,$1E            ;2
                DB        $1B,$1A            ;3
                DB        $11,$18            ;4
                DB        $12,$1D            ;5
                DB        $13,$1B            ;6
                DB        $15,$33            ;7
                DB        $16,$35            ;8
                DB        $17,$30            ;9
                DB        $1D,$22            ; .
                DB        $1F,$0E            ; -
                DB        $1E,$06            ; + ENTER
                DB        $00                    ;End of table

• Like 1

I put in some compiler directives so that features can easily be added and/or removed.  There's even something for @Mathy here.   :-D

.define    CCX85    TRUE        ;CX85 Numeric Keypad
.define    FUJI        FALSE    ;Atari Fuji Screen
.define PHLF        TRUE        ;Perpheral Handler Loading Facility

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

So, looking at your latest OS changes, I wonder what was removed or changed in the OS to make space for the various fixes and addendums ? Was it only the (now simplified) Selftest ?

Yes.  The space eventually came from self test space.  There is a lot of self test code and related tables outside of the banked self test area.  Once I removed the self test code a lot of space was made.  I was also able to move almost all of the self test code into the bank.

• Like 3

After studying the code and realizing that the only key that isn't working right is the F1 key on the CX85, I am thinking the problem may be my CX85.  But, I can't confirm this as I don't have another to try.  If anyone has a CX85 and can test this that would be great! 

I changed the CX85 keys around to what was specified in the instruction book as opposed to the programming book.  In the instruction book the function keys are arrow keys and the "enter" key is a return key.

Here's the latest build.  testos.rom

This one is compiled with the Atari rainbow logo...just for grins.

Edit to add:  Boot with Option for BASIC and Shift/Control/3 toggles the CX85 driver on and off.  The CX85 works on port 2.

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 2

- NMI interrupt (VBI)
    4671:248: 18 | A=FF X=80 Y=01 S=F2 P=37 (   IZC) | C018: 2C 0F D4          BIT NMIST
    4671:248: 22 | A=FF X=80 Y=01 S=F2 P=75 ( V I C) | C01B: 10 03             BPL $C020
    4671:248: 26 | A=FF X=80 Y=01 S=F2 P=75 ( V I C) | C020: D8                CLD
    4671:248: 28 | A=FF X=80 Y=01 S=F2 P=75 ( V I C) | C021: 48                PHA
    4671:248: 32 | A=FF X=80 Y=01 S=F1 P=75 ( V I C) | C022: 8A                TXA
    4671:248: 35 | A=80 X=80 Y=01 S=F1 P=F5 (NV I C) | C023: 48                PHA
    4671:248: 39 | A=80 X=80 Y=01 S=F0 P=F5 (NV I C) | C024: 98                TYA
    4671:248: 42 | A=01 X=80 Y=01 S=F0 P=75 ( V I C) | C025: 48                PHA
    4671:248: 46 | A=01 X=80 Y=01 S=EF P=75 ( V I C) | C026: 8D 0F D4          STA NMIRES
    4671:248: 51 | A=01 X=80 Y=01 S=EF P=75 ( V I C) | C029: AD 60 02          LDA $0260
    4671:248: 56 | A=00 X=80 Y=01 S=EF P=77 ( V IZC) | C02C: F0 03             BEQ $C031
  - 4671:248: 60 | A=00 X=80 Y=01 S=EF P=77 ( V IZC) | C031: 20 4D CA          JSR $CA4D
      4671:248: 66 | A=00 X=80 Y=01 S=ED P=77 ( V IZC) | CA4D: AD 85 02          LDA STRIG1
      4671:248: 70 | A=00 X=80 Y=01 S=ED P=77 ( V IZC) | CA50: D0 53             BNE $CAA5
      4671:248: 72 | A=00 X=80 Y=01 S=ED P=77 ( V IZC) | CA52: A9 00             LDA #$00
      4671:248: 74 | A=00 X=80 Y=01 S=ED P=77 ( V IZC) | CA54: 85 4D             STA ATRACT
      4671:248: 77 | A=00 X=80 Y=01 S=ED P=77 ( V IZC) | CA56: AD 00 D3          LDA PORTA
      4671:248: 81 | A=CF X=80 Y=01 S=ED P=F5 (NV I C) | CA59: 4A                LSR
      4671:248: 83 | A=67 X=80 Y=01 S=ED P=75 ( V I C) | CA5A: 4A                LSR
      4671:248: 85 | A=33 X=80 Y=01 S=ED P=75 ( V I C) | CA5B: 4A                LSR
      4671:248: 87 | A=19 X=80 Y=01 S=ED P=75 ( V I C) | CA5C: 4A                LSR
      4671:248: 89 | A=0C X=80 Y=01 S=ED P=75 ( V I C) | CA5D: 8D 63 02          STA $0263
      4671:248: 93 | A=0C X=80 Y=01 S=ED P=75 ( V I C) | CA60: AD 08 D2          LDA ALLPOT

This is too late to read ALLPOT. The official definition of ALLPOT in the Hardware Manual is that 0 = valid, 1 = invalid for each POT0-7 register. But what it actually means is whether the POTn registers are actively loading from the master counter that counts up from 0 for each scanline during the pot scan. While the caps are charging and the input is below threshold, the ALLPOT bit is 1 and the POTn register continually updates from the master pot scan counter. It flips to 0 once the register stops updating and the value is locked in, which happens either when the cap voltage reaches threshold or the scan finishes. Normal pot scan takes 228 scanlines and is triggered by stage 2 VBI around scanline 256, so the scan is always completed at the start of the VBI. This guarantees ALLPOT=0 at the start of the VBI, which is why your code is sensing the 0 key rather than the ESCAPE key. Try using POT3 instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/16/2023 at 3:55 PM, reifsnyderb said:

Something else could be put in other than the self test.  But, there's only 2k to work with.  I was actually contemplating the ACE 80XL until I found out it was 4k. 

The code is less than 2K and the charset is 1K. The charset could go in place of the international character set.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

If I was removing the Self-Test I'd insert some powerup code to give feedback on the initial Ram test on coldstart.

Maybe something like 1/10th second green background then go to black and continue for a pass.   1/5th second red background, maybe have a beep as well then go to black and continue for a fail.

Edited by Rybags
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Rybags said:

If I was removing the Self-Test I'd insert some powerup code to give feedback on the initial Ram test on coldstart.

Maybe something like 1/10th second green background then go to black and continue for a pass.   1/5th second red background, maybe have a beep as well then go to black and continue for a fail.

What? No Beeps?   I think you should have beeps just like ye'ol PCs.  HAH

1 hour ago, kheller2 said:

And some numbers counting the RAM (fast) in Bytes or KBytes (nice for upgraded machines with more than 64KBytes)...

Or maybe some horizontal RAM bar that shows RAM size, more RAM = longer bar  (aka my bar is bigger than yours)...  ;-)

5 hours ago, kheller2 said:

4 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

And some numbers counting the RAM (fast) in Bytes or KBytes (nice for upgraded machines with more than 64KBytes)...

Or maybe some horizontal RAM bar that shows RAM size, more RAM = longer bar  (aka my bar is bigger than yours)...  ;-)

Maybe a combination of ideas?  That would greatly reduce the memory usage.

Showing extended memory would be nice, too.  However, I don't know how much code would be needed to show all possibilities.  (i.e.  RAMBO vs Compy, etc.)  If somebody has some code that could scan this, and is willing to have it added, I would certainly be interested in adding it if there is space.

Edited by reifsnyderb