IGNORED

TIPI-enabled telnet client for accessing BBS’s?

jmazzy

Is there a TIPI-enabled telnet client that will allow telnet from the TI to a BBS?

I did find and try PLATOTerm99, but looks as though that doesn’t work for some folks, apparently due to a console video upgrade? (Others seem to have said an TI console with its original video output runs it just fine.)  My console has an F18A, and PLATOTerm99 does run but then just sits indefinitely at the initial splash screen.

I know I can telnet, or use web-based telnet, from a laptop.  But for the nostalgic fun, I was hoping to access a few BBS’s through the TI console itself.

A few years back, I had a UDS-10 attached to my TI was able to use TIMXT for BBS hopping.  I enjoyed that.  Just wondering if there’s a viable TIPI-ready option.

• Like 1

Matt wrote a Telnet client for the TI994A with a F18 with ansi support.  There is also MXT I updated to use for the 4A for use with the Tipi with no ansi support. It is here in the forum somewhere as well as I believe on whtech. On the Geneve, there is a built in telnet client and Myterm has been modified to work with the Tipi. It has ansi support as well. 

Beery

• Like 2

Thank you both for the feedback.

5 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

The TIPI ships with TELNET 4A client in the NET folder. It is an EA5 type program. 

CALL TIPI("TIPI.NET.TELNET")

PlatoTerm is not telnet protocol, but a Plato graphics terminal for the Irata online server. 

In my previous post, I neglected to mention I did try the TIPI's included TELNET 4A client.  Each time I tried using it to connect to FUSION or Heatwave BBS's, it appeared to connect successfully but then nothing happened - the system just sat at the "Connected" screen indefinitely.  (See photo.)  Maybe I'm missing something?

8 hours ago, 9640News said:

Matt wrote a Telnet client for the TI994A with a F18 with ansi support.  There is also MXT I updated to use for the 4A for use with the Tipi with no ansi support. It is here in the forum somewhere as well as I believe on whtech. On the Geneve, there is a built in telnet client and Myterm has been modified to work with the Tipi. It has ansi support as well. 

Beery

After reading this, I downloaded MXT from the TIPI directory at WHTECH.  However, each time I try to load it, the load/run seems to begin and then the console just restarted, kicking me back to the startup screen.  Again, maybe I'm missing something here?

IMG_0178.jpg

On 2/9/2023 at 2:07 PM, jmazzy said:

In my previous post, I neglected to mention I did try the TIPI's included TELNET 4A client.  Each time I tried using it to connect to FUSION or Heatwave BBS's, it appeared to connect successfully but then nothing happened - the system just sat at the "Connected" screen indefinitely.  (See photo.)  Maybe I'm missing something?

@jedimatt42  I did some additional testing and looks like the built-in TIPI TELNET 4A client is working well for connecting to the various BBS's I've tried today.  (.e.g COLDFUSION BBS and two others were accessible without issue.  See photo.)

I think my previous erroneous attempts were specifically related the FUSION and Heatwave BBS's.

With FUSION, I had the address wrong the first few times I tried.  Once I switched to 73.136.142.243:9900, I was able to connect fine, although the connection was a bit wonky - it locked up at the login prompt on one attempt and then rejected my password on the following attempt. (A third attempt from telnet on my Mac worked just fine which implies there may be some challenges specific to using TIPI TELNET with FUSION.)

As for Heatwave, I still have the same issue as above:  the TIPI TELNET client shows 'Connected', but nothing happens beyond that.

So maybe the issues I'm seeing are best referred to the sysops:  @Shift838 and @InsaneMultitasker: any thoughts on why the TIPI TELNET client might be having trouble?

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

15 minutes ago, jmazzy said:

So maybe the issues I'm seeing are best referred to the sysops:  @Shift838 and @InsaneMultitasker: any thoughts on why the TIPI TELNET client might be having trouble?

We'll have to wait for @Shift838 to check the system.  The lack of response seems to be a system issue; my guess is the BBS needs to be restarted or he is performing maintenance.  I base this on trying a simple Windows command prompt TELNET session which connects but elicits no response. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

We'll have to wait for @Shift838 to check the system.  The lack of response seems to be a system issue; my guess is the BBS needs to be restarted or he is performing maintenance.  I base this on trying a simple Windows command prompt TELNET session which connects but elicits no response. 

Heatwave is back up. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Shift838 said:

Heatwave is back up. 

@Shift838  Thanks.  

I can connected to Heatwave, although I can't seem to get past the login.  I hit the 'L' key for login, then I get the prompt to enter my username, but when I key in my username, I see nothing.  When I hit enter, it takes me back to the beginning to (L), (S) or (N) prompt.

Fusion isn't allowing connection.  

(I tested both Heatwave and Fusion tonight with both the TIPI TELNET client and my Mac telnet client.)

All just FYI, btw.  No need to investigate on my account;  I'm just experimenting and thought I'd give an update.

22 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Maybe try again in a bit?   I was able to log in to Heatwave via a PC Telnet connection just a few minutes ago. 

Heatwave is working perfectly for me now.  I turned on ANSI and IBM graphics settings, and it looks great!  Thanks.

Looks like Fusion is still not connecting.

@jedimatt42  With the various BBS's up and running, the TIPI TELNET 4A client has been working well and without issue for me.

Tonight, I came across an earlier post where you'd said TIPI TELNET 4A client was built with the intention to allow easy access to the PI, but it's certainly been convenient (and fun) to use it for accessing the BBS's.

Thanks and kudos for making it available and for the support. 🏆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My point with that statement is that it doesn't do all the things the BBS fanatics want of it. And the source code is available. 

I have made a subsequent TELNET client for ForceCommand which is where any future effort would be applied. But it currently also doesn't do all the things the BBS fanatics want. 

• Like 2