IGNORED

Texas Instruments price list scans

FarmerPotato

I have received a box with some TI publications that did not survive in large numbers.  No, not TI-99/4A specifically. 

Among them are these fascinating price lists:

Nov 1975 TI Integrated Circuits and Discrete Components OEM Price List
Jan 1982 TI Semiconductor Products Suggested Resale Pricing Guide
Jul 1986 TI Military Semiconductor Products Domestic Suggested Resale Pricing Guide

Each is similar in format:  Device type, Dept, Stock#, 35-char description, prices for Qty 1, 25, 100, 1K. 

Pages  Estimated # items
1975   75     10,000
1982   129    8,000
1986   83     5,000 military standard     

Also interesting:

1976 Texas Linear New Product Bulletin.   This one isn't quite 'on brand' in its style. 
1978 Discrete Semiconductor Master Selection Guide (2700 parts)

1986 Master Selection Guide (common yellow data book) 

Between 1966 and 1975, TI's catalog dropped so many items!

In 1966, the catalog was thousands of different diodes and transistors with JEDEC registered numbers.  1N4114, 2N253 etc.  Everybody was still figuring out ways to make them out of silicon: germanium had ruled the materials world up til then.

In 1975-76, TI was beginning to use their own codes like TIL166 (Linear) or TIP212. (Power)  Hundreds of early transistor products were no longer needed. At the same time, total production of semiconductors grew about 100x in that period. 

You can read about this period in the 1965 book,  Silicon Semiconductor Technology published in TI Electronics Series (McGraw Hill.) It's very technical; it expects you have a lot of electrical and materials vocabulary. 

BitSavers price list directory: just the one 1966 so far. 

I begin the scanning.

Edited by FarmerPotato
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have finished scanning the Jan 1982 price list.

Here is the PDF format. I made a separate bunch of TIFFs to send to Bitsavers. My first entry--I hope I did things the correct way. 

Shortcut: The TM and 99 part numbers start on page 103

Page 103      990/4 AMPL systems, accessories and software

AMPL was the Prototyping Laboratory.  A 990 minicomputer peripheral would plug into a 9900 socket.  Debug, trace, capture glitches, override onboard ROM with fresh code in RAM, etc. 

TI_price_guide_Jan82.pdf

Edited by FarmerPotato
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Also received:

Ed Millis: TI, the Transistor, and Me: a Disintegrated Journey Through Texas Instruments. 1980. 

You'll see Ed Millis' name in the Transistor History site. He started at TI in 1950. 

Cool fact: Ed Millis employed  young Mike Bunyard at TI. He calls Mike "the computer boy genius" for building so many computer controls to wafer professing machines.

Unfortunately, Ed was forced to let Mike go in a 1972 wave of layoffs (layoffs by seniority, not value!) 

This might have been a different Mike Bunyard, but I'm betting it was the same guy who was managing the Home Computer engineering in 1980. (See: The Bunyard Hardware Manual 99/4A.)

• Like 3