IGNORED

Atari VSC 2600 needing to warm up?

shear_xear

Hi everyone.  I have an Atari VCS heavy sixer, and after doing a recap the system gives me a black screen for a few minutes, then suddenly the image appears on the screen, almost like it is warming up.  I swapped out the three main ICs on the board with working parts, and this changed nothing.  I have heard that the 7800 does this, but I have never seen this before with the 2600 systems.  Does anyone know what might be causing this delay in loading up the game cart?  Thanks!!

Edited by shear_xear

There are reset pins on a couple of the IC's, if you have a multi-meter I would check to see if they are going high (5V) after switch on. Normally it should occur so fast that by the time you get your meter on the right points to measure it will be at 5V, but if you placed a large capacitor in there by mistake it could take a lot longer.

But before that check the power into and out of the voltage regulator, normally at power on it should be approximately 9V in and 5V out, but there may be something dragging it down and causing it to rise slowly.

Also check you have the polarised caps in the correct way round.