IGNORED

VBXE Exercise - Popeye WIP

woj

On 1/26/2024 at 2:58 AM, woj said:

No, I do not think it has anything to do with that, considering I interchangeably use all the different ways to load the game to Altirra, and also that the PAL version that works 100% fine on a PAL machine, when loaded onto the NTSC machine (the only difference being a different vcount constant for Rybag's interlace hack) has the same effect. Quoting myself:

This is exactly it, but needs more investigation. I added an empty scanline to the display list ($00) and everything fell into place on the real NTSC computer. I removed one scanline from the originally working display list and I emulated the effect I have on the real machine in Altirra, see the attached picture. So, bottom line, something eats a scanline on this setup on the real machine, and Altirra does not account for that. It can be either:

(a) some DMA timing issue - the code juggles with DMA on and off all the time to achieve the interlace hack

(b) it is a feature of the NTSC mode VBXE that we all missed

I can only check things in the evening again, but for (b) I want to check how does the stock non-VBXE output (it will show just the score line, but it should be enough) look like, if it is truncated too, it is about DMA turning on and off and related timing (the I have to see if moving my DLIs around can help). If it is not truncated, then it is the VBXE that eats this line.

Now, the biggest issue for me is that adding this empty scanline with $00 DL line is not a solution, or at least I am not yet sure it is, because with this the whole display list exceeds 240 scanlines leaving me no space for the last $F mode line to enable the interlace hack. 

Anyhow, once I know a bit more, I will send you the offending and non-offending files for you to have a look, I hope you have an NTSC VBXE machine handy ;) 

screen.png

Awesome Woj !

On 1/26/2024 at 2:58 AM, woj said:

No, I do not think it has anything to do with that, considering I interchangeably use all the different ways to load the game to Altirra, and also that the PAL version that works 100% fine on a PAL machine, when loaded onto the NTSC machine (the only difference being a different vcount constant for Rybag's interlace hack) has the same effect. Quoting myself:

This is exactly it, but needs more investigation. I added an empty scanline to the display list ($00) and everything fell into place on the real NTSC computer. I removed one scanline from the originally working display list and I emulated the effect I have on the real machine in Altirra, see the attached picture. So, bottom line, something eats a scanline on this setup on the real machine, and Altirra does not account for that. It can be either:

(a) some DMA timing issue - the code juggles with DMA on and off all the time to achieve the interlace hack

(b) it is a feature of the NTSC mode VBXE that we all missed

I can only check things in the evening again, but for (b) I want to check how does the stock non-VBXE output (it will show just the score line, but it should be enough) look like, if it is truncated too, it is about DMA turning on and off and related timing (the I have to see if moving my DLIs around can help). If it is not truncated, then it is the VBXE that eats this line.

Now, the biggest issue for me is that adding this empty scanline with $00 DL line is not a solution, or at least I am not yet sure it is, because with this the whole display list exceeds 240 scanlines leaving me no space for the last $F mode line to enable the interlace hack. 

Anyhow, once I know a bit more, I will send you the offending and non-offending files for you to have a look, I hope you have an NTSC VBXE machine handy ;) 

screen.png

Awesome Woj ! Thank you.

Edited by ALEXANDER
  • Like 1

Anyone has found an annoying bug in round 3 in the NTSC version yet? (And "almost" a bug in the same situation in the PAL version...)

I also swear I have seen a weird glitch on the screen in round 3 intro while testing it, once, on the emulator, cannot reproduce it and have no clue where it might be possibly coming from...

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2024 at 12:04 AM, Aking said:

Amazing port!!!

We need more games for our VBXE boards....

Yeah, indeed. Full colour, full Lemmings animated goodness VBXE style would get my vote!! (Sorry, I know I keep pushing Lemmings on the A8. Massive fan of the Brundles and tommingi. Would love to see full colour Lemmings on the A8, (rather than just 4-5 colours). 

image.thumb.png.52984000010cd268bbd0147c62684709.png

59 minutes ago, Jacques said:

@woj

Any update on above, please? Where can it be downloaded from? Thanks in advance :)

If the link to the file in the post from Feb 16 does not work for you, then I am really not sure what is going on.

There can be issues when the browser might try to open the file instead of offering to save it.

In Firefox at least you can change the action in settings (ask, save, open in Firefox, use default Windows application etc)

It must be something in the forum engine: indeed the file can be downloaded from the original message, but can't be downloaded from attachments-list (not with 'save as', not with simple click - in the end it's forum that says it can't be located ;) ).

Edited by Jacques

The forum still isn't quite fixed, re-add it to the grocery list... just work around it best you can.

In this case the key is missing for the forums attachment lister/locater. No browser should be able to download it from the list because the key is missing, but you can use it to find the post and get it from the post. This issue has been forever, if it works in one it might not in the other. So try both ways.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...