IGNORED

Ikari Warriors eprom dump

jer10571

Not sure if this would be any value to anyone, but I ordered some eproms from Jameco, (you know, the used pulls you have to erase yourself for the price of 1 new one).

Anyway, I noticed that there were some with Ikari Warriors stickers on them for the Atari 2600. 2 of them look like the same, but the other two are different. The third picture, there are 5 that were blank, although 1 did have the tag. They all had the same date and manufacturer.

I read the 4 chips and saved them, thinking someone may have wanted them. Not sure if they are anything of value, or even if the complete game is there, but thought someone might want to check them out.

I read them with a mini-pro programmer. I did try to run the .bin files in Stella, they all do something, but they are not playable. I zipped up the 4 files. Hopefully someone who knows more about them will find some use for them.

20230213_143513.jpg

20230213_144431.jpg

20230213_144442.jpg

IkariWarrior.zip

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Ikari Warriors is 16K, your dumps are only 8K. 

Ahh.. Perhaps that is why they don't play!! I'm still learning this thing, so maybe I've not done it correctly. I just chose the eprom, and read it, but is there a different setting? I can re-read them, but if there is a setting I'm missing to read them, I can check them all again.

Here is a picture of what I'm doing. Maybe it's wrong? IDK. Lol. I'd just hate to erase those eproms without having a good dump first.

MiniPro.JPG

20230213_143456.jpg

Those other two EPROMS are for 2600 RS Boxing (c300042-135) and the XF551 BIOS (C101696-002).  You're missing an EPROM for RS Boxing unfortunately (unless it's one of those unlabeled ones) so it won't work unless you can find the pair.  This is ironic as I also have an EPROM for RS Boxing that's missing it's pair, but it's a different date so it won't work with yours.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Those other two EPROMS are for 2600 RS Boxing (c300042-135) and the XF551 BIOS (C101696-002).  You're missing an EPROM for RS Boxing unfortunately (unless it's one of those unlabeled ones) so it won't work unless you can find the pair.  This is ironic as I also have an EPROM for RS Boxing that's missing it's pair, but it's a different date so it won't work with yours.

Later this weekend I'll put them in the programmer again and see if I can get any data off them. Originally they came up as being blank, but maybe I need a different setting in the minipro software.

This is incredible. And I’m kinda surprised that nobody else is doing a double take here. Just imagine what ELSE they might have that came from the same source as these.

You should try and contact an employee there who is willing to look through the entire inventory. Tell them you will buy every single eprom that has stickers similar to those on them.

Imagine the possibilities of what might turn up.

Here is the link. They were 'pulls' and needed to be erased. Was a pack of 10 for 9 dollars

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=2332311

2764 EPROM Grab Bag 64K DIP-28 Need Clean & Erase (10 pcs.)

Edited by jer10571

1 hour ago, jer10571 said:

Here is the link. They were 'pulls' and needed to be erased. Was a pack of 10 for 9 dollars

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=2332311

2764 EPROM Grab Bag 64K DIP-28 Need Clean & Erase (10 pcs.)

Thank you for the link, I just picked up a couple. We'll see if I get lucky.

Mitch

23 minutes ago, Words Fail said:

So you get 10 of them for $8.95? Buy 100 of them for $77.95.

I think the price goes down when you buy 10 or more packs. I only got 1 10 pack of the 64k and it was like 10 bucks with shipping, however I did purchase a bunch of other stuff. In total I got 5 10 packs of different eproms. One of the packs had a 486 bios in it Lol.

15 hours ago, cwieland said:

I think you are dumping them correctly.

A2600-A.BIN and A2600-B.BIN match the first 8K of the NTSC Ikari Warriors ROM from the Atarimania collection.

A2600-C.BIN matches the last 8K of the NTSC RealSports Boxing ROM from the Atarimania collection.

So most likely these are the final versions.  It's possible that a small change could have been made in the missing EPROMs but usually any change of significance shuffles code around enough that the second EPROM would be different as well.

But Matt, your not thinking outside of the box. Final rom revisions or not, why the heck are they on EPROMs in the first place? The production cart releases of Ikari Warriors and Realsports Boxing (NTSC/PAL/whatever) were all on mask roms. So by definition, these rom pulls came from pre-production test / proto cartridge boards.

So where in the hell Jameco and/or their source for these eproms pulled them from; and more specifically what happened to the boards they came from is the big news here.

It could have been some incredible stockpile honey hole of hundreds of proto boards / loaner cartridges!

33 minutes ago, Supergun said:

But Matt, your not thinking outside of the box. Final rom revisions or not, why the heck are they on EPROMs in the first place? The production cart releases of Ikari Warriors and Realsports Boxing (NTSC/PAL/whatever) were all on mask roms. So by definition, these rom pulls came from pre-production test / proto cartridge boards.

So where in the hell Jameco and/or their source for these eproms pulled them from; and more specifically what happened to the boards they came from is the big news here.

It could have been some incredible stockpile honey hole of hundreds of proto boards / loaner cartridges!

I was kinda thinking that, but I don't know enough about Atari game carts to know. That's why I figured I'd upload them here. Maybe it's just the standard finished game, or unfinished, or even a first draft! The eproms are dated 1982 though.

I do wish the game would have just worked in Stella. I've repaired many A2600 consoles and even did a YouTube on one repair with a Diag cart, but the cart themselves I'm a total noob on Lol.

If I knew how to put them in a donor cart, I would, but I'm not sure just putting an eprom in one would work without doing some wiring or something like you do with an NES cart.

I could try putting the eprom in a donor cart and try it if someone gives me instruction though.

Edited by jer10571

34 minutes ago, Supergun said:

Well these in particular are way too big. They wouldn’t be able to be used in any of the cheap common carts like combats and Pacmans.

I do have a bunch of carts, I usually send with a repaired console, but in this case, I guess I'll leave it up to the experts, maybe someone can burn it to a 64k eprom and try it? Hopefully these would be something cool that nobody has seen before (excluding who wrote it).

2 hours ago, Supergun said:

That's a good question.  I wondered that myself.  Unfortunately unless you know someone at Jameco you'll probably never know.

A couple of years ago, I called Jameco to ask some questions regarding their 'Major Brands' RAM.  As it was explained to me at the time, they buy bulk lots of ICs from recyclers, e-waste pullers, going out of business sales, etc.  As a result, they end up reselling chips from pretty much everyone who ever made them.  It's not unreasonable to assume that they're doing the same thing for EPROMs as well as other types of chips.

FWIW, Jameco's not very far North of Silicon Valley, so it's not too surprising that they may end up with stuff like this in stock.  There's also no way of knowing how long they were sitting on these as inventory until they finally reached their turn to be shipped out to customers, so they could easily have been hanging out in a warehouse for 20-plus years until they came into rotation and were sent out to fulfill orders.

• Like 2