IGNORED

Am after a 3D STL of the Atari 800's plastic side plate

Beeblebrox

Hi Beeble,

Ive been in this boat myself - with the 1050 fascia. Altho i did find an .stl file, it's design was significantly unfinished and it was just not suitable so - necessity being the mother of invention, i endeavoured to design my own. I did so and although it was a bit frustrating at times, my need was my motivation to learn and the end result was worth it. my CAD skill leveled up too :)

it is very convenient if designs already exist but if they dont it is a very nice gift to the community if you can create one. helps keep the beloved old hardware in good order.

do you have an existing panel to copy or even a broken one - for measurements? it is easier to replicate it accurately than trying to 'retrofit' a gaping cavity and various screw holes.

i know you only got your printer set up recently but what CAD software do you use?

Edited by xrbrevin

@xrbrevin hi. Yeah I had thought about learning to design this myself. I am very new to 3D printing.

At present I've only sliced some preexisting stl files in the creatily software. I see there are a few other free tools. Need to get to grips. 

I was hoping someone else had created one. 

Will give it a go. I will have one for reference soon unless someone else happens to have all the dimensions for it? :)

• 1 month later...

So having bitten the bullet I tried my hand at getting to grips with a CAD program to design my own replacement panel for the 800's original that was missing on my spare 800 casing. 

I chose Tinkercad as free and seemily easier to get to grips with. (It has it's limitations mind). Still dumping to an STL files is easy. Then using Creality's own software to slice the file to create a gcode file for my Ender 3 Pro is quick and easy. 

Incidentally finding a stick of 3D printer bed adhesive has made all the difference. (Rather like a gluestick/prit-Stik). Very much needed to ensue the part doesn't come unstuck and move during the near 2 hour print run. 

After 8 x revisions and a good few days/many hours over the last month, not to mention many 3D printed prototypes on my excellent aforementioned Ender 3 Pro 3D printer, I finally had something that was a vague approximation of the original 800's panel plate. If not in looks at least in function.

Of course clearly there is still a lot of refinement needed. Further bevelled angles to nail, but as an alternate it shows promise. 

I initially printed all the prototypes in semi transparent pla+ filament and the last one in a rather unpleasant chocolate brown pla. The latter's finish didn't come out too well. I actually prefer the semi transparent. Looks rather like ice. Pla+ is definitely the way to go. 

At this stage when fitted the 800's case closes after a little work to the corner of the plate which is good. All the connector slots and ports line up with the power board ports/switches. I neglected to take a photo of it all assembled but it looks pretty cool (if I do say so myself). 

I will spend a few more hours when I have the time modifying it to look more like the original. Very gratifying to be able to design and print these things in the confort of your own home. :)

Screenshot_20230410_101217.jpg

Screenshot_20230410_102037.jpg

Screenshot_20230410_101633.jpg

Screenshot_20230410_101611.jpg

Screenshot_20230410_101501.jpg

Screenshot_20230410_101415.jpg

Screenshot_20230410_101338.jpg

• Like 6

The rims around these areas are more or less present on the orignal on the inside of the plate. They were carried through to the front as a by product of adding them. I kinda liked it so left it in. Doesn't get in the way when plugging in. Also does add some structural support although not needed. Without it the part would be rigid enough. 

As I say this is a simplified interpretation of the design given I am new to CAD. 

I do plan to modify a version that replicates the original as close as possible but it is far trickier than it looks. :)

Edit: yup I plan to print in black pla+ and again in semi transparent. Unless you find a really dark brown it just looks like chocolate heh heh :)

Edited by Beeblebrox