IGNORED

Game Gear AC adapter…

homerj

I've got a Game Gear on the desk next to me here, one I bought off a member on the site.  I had the power supply for it because it works for the Nomad I also have.  MK-2103 10v DC 0.85A and yes center positive.(

If your system works fine on batteries, the adapter you got is probably bad, or not giving it enough being short by .350A if that should matter I don't know but it is low.

Has the GG ever been recapped or otherwise modded?  It could be looking for something a bit different and that cheapo modern adapter even if it's not defective may just not be cutting it.

If I'm reading it right (-)--- (----(+)  It's hard to see being small but it's open with a line on the right to the +, the - leads to the outer circle but doesn't go into it.

12 minutes ago, Psionic said:

The Master System & original Genesis adapters are (-) but the Genesis 2 & 3 are (+).  As stated above, the Game Gear and Nomad use the same one (MK-2103) as the Genesis 2.

Ah that is right! I knew they switched from model 1 to 2, I got the direction of the switch backwards

Edited by Lord_of_Sipan

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Has the GG ever been recapped or otherwise modded?  It could be looking for something a bit different and that cheapo modern adapter even if it's not defective may just not be cutting it.

It has been recapped.  I’m wondering if that’s the case too.  Maybe I’ll get my hands on an OEM power supply & see if that works. 

Well a re-cap would at least let you know it isn't failing on those grounds, but also would mean unless something else failed or was a bad new cap, you shouldn't be seeing some different draw as if you stuck a LCD in there or removed the blood sucking CFL either.  It could really be the wrong rating on the power supply.

The power brick for the GG+NOMAD+GEN model 2 is super easy and cheap to get like $10-15, check local before paying the weight of shipping.

On 2/23/2023 at 10:10 PM, DJ Clae said:

Game Gear uses the same AC adapter as the Genesis 2 and Nomad.

In the US apparently, elsewhere it use the Megadrive1/SMS form factor.

Alimentation USB Sega Game GearTransformateur Sega Game Gear,Source Alimentation,Alimentation  Source,Chargeur | eBay

So be careful when dealing with potentially imported GG.

Edited by CatPix

15 hours ago, CatPix said:

In the US apparently, elsewhere it use the Megadrive1/SMS form factor.  So be careful when dealing with potentially imported GG.

The power jacks are different by design though, so plugging in the wrong one isn't possible under normal circumstances.  Sega knew that people were idiots and might fry their console.

• Like 2

Yes, in theory. You can't plug a model 1 power supply in a model 2 as the barrel diameter is different (enoguh for you to see it on the picture) but the only thing preventing to plug a model 2 psu into a model 1 is the diameter of the inner pin, and especially on aftermarket power supplies, the difference is much thinner and manufacturers tend to use the same design, so it is possible to do it. Not with every PSU (not with Sega originals at least) but I have done it with generic ones.