IGNORED

How can one use the ACE80-XL cartridge on the 1200XL and still use Atari BASIC?

ACML

I love the idea of 80 columns in BASIC and currently use it via Omniview XE on my 1200XL.  It looks great, but the update speed is apparently much slower than using the ACE80-XL cartridge.  My dilemma with the 1200XL is that it lacks internal BASIC and with one cartridge port, I'm not seeing how I can have both.  I could load BASIC Rev C as an XEX file I suppose, but a RESET will likely result in a cold start (loss of program in memory).  I know there is a mod to allow the 1200XL to repurpose the two ROM sockets to accept a 28 pin OS and use the remaining 24 pin socket for BASIC (plus swap in a 800XL MMU).  Short of going down that road, I don't see any option for me WRT the 1200XL.  The XEP80 II is looking like a possible option and would yield better graphics.  

What's your preferred 80 solution:

1) Omniview 80/XL/XE

2) ACE80-XL

3) XEP80-II 

P.S.  Is there a CAR or ROM for the ACE80-XL that would work on a Ultimate or UNO cart?  I ask with the caveat that if ACE80-XL is still licensed (they sell repo's) and the original intellectual property owner is still involved with that license, then never mind this request.  I don't want to infringe on someone's hard work that still has a monetary stake in this.

Edited by ACML

37 minutes ago, Larry said:

You might consider this TBXL version posted previously.  I've used it only lightly, but seemed pretty fast.

TBXL-80.atr 90.02 kB · 1 download

I actually was messing around with this for a short while. I edited the font, changed the default colors, and spent a little time with it; but I found it has some incompatibilities with TBXL. I had some odd things start to happen after loading and running a variety of short TBXL programs. So, I've set it aside at this point.

4 hours ago, ClausB said:

You could use the E80 executable with a BASIC cart.

Our you could use the BASIC A+ executable with an ACE80-XL cart.

IIRC there was a type-in program in ANALOG or ANTIC that would read the BASIC Rev.A cartridge and write a Rev.C executable to disk.