IGNORED

Super NES Control Deck Tester

Jasoco

About two and a half weeks ago I won an auction for a weird little device called the "Super NES Control Deck Tester". Today it arrived and I couldn't be happier playing with my new "toy".

I have put a page up on my website about it.

http://jasoco.no-ip.com/gameitem.php?item=snescdt

So my bandwidth doesn't get too stressed, the JPG's are hosted on my Comcast webspace. Hope it holds up.

The device. Click the link above to check it out.

testertop.jpg

A video will come in about two weeks or so.

In the meantime, I would love to learn all the extra features of it. It has buttons and ports I don't even use. I would love to see what they do.

• 2 weeks later...

And it's been two weeks.

Here is the video.

It is in MPEG-4 format. Sorry. It made it small enough to upload to my Comcast space. Sorry about the quality.

If you get a page full of gibberish, you have to try downloading it to the computer instead of viewing in the browser.

http://home.comcast.net/~jasoco/files/SNESTester.mp4

that was amazingly cool, it was so trippy at points.  I couldn't figure out the point of the woman, but overall that was pretty amazing.
She is there to show off the SNES' image display capability and color palette. A 256 color picture of the woman. Then it tints it red, green and blue. It also showed the cool Mosaic effect the SNES had used in games like Mario World and Zelda.

Basically, every section there was for a reason. To show of a different part of the consoles abilities.

It starts with just the memory and port testing.

Then the sliding colors, sprite flipping, layering effects (The SNES had 7 layers if I'm not mistaken.), stretching and shrinking, animation, more flipping of large sprites, then moves to wipe effects and on to the Mario World level part which shows off the layering in better detail. After that it does the shape effects and the subtraction effect. Then the palette rotation, and when it gets to the woman it is also showing off the transparency effect with the scrolling text. After the woman comes Mode 7 rotation with Mario 3. Then finalizing with tiling and stretching again as well as moving. And it finishes with the Reset test. Some games use the Reset button to tell it not to run certain routines. Like maybe long intro screens and such. Basically the game knows it's been reset, rather than just turned on.

:lol: Wish I could of gotten it :lol:

I sat with that link in my Watch list for a few days trying to decide whether I wanted to buy it or not. You had plenty of time to grab it from me. ;)

I searched Google and it is only mentioned one other time on some other guys list of things he has. A crappy list and it's a foreign page. But there is at least one more out there. Where? I don't know. Will there ever be another one eBay? Probably not unless I decide to sell this one.. which is a very slim chance! :P