IGNORED

... just got an GBA SP...

panamajoe

and i´m really impressed!

though i never was a fan of the older Gameboys, i have to admit that the GBA SP is a fantastic piece of hardware. It´s a damn near perfect handheld.

Plus i´ve got it with "advance wars" and that´s one of the best games i ever played. Never thought something like this would be possible on an handheld console. I really liked Battle Isle on the PC, but advance wars on an GBA is just fantastic...

I've also got an original GBA when it first came out, but I've only put just a few hours of play into it due to the crappy screen.

Then Wario Ware came out, and I've been motivated to get an SP.. and have been hooked since then!

While it's not perfect, I'm pretty much in love with its design and compact size. I'm really happy I can finally play the games I've got :)

The original GBA is still ok to have around for multiplayer games ;)

Out of curiosity, do they sell replacement batteries for the SP?

Regards,

Rasty.-

I have to think it'll be two years before I run it down enough for a replacement, if not more.  One charge usually lasts me a week or two, even BEFORE I had a GB Player.

Yes I'm pretty positive your time estimation is correct, judging from my cell phone's battery life..!

But I feel a little better knowing they DO sell replacements :)

Regards,

Rasty.-

Well, after messing with my younger brothers GBA SP. I thought to myslef. Way to small for my big hands and it took them this long to come out with something sega already had. Let alone a few other companies. If they didn't have other things to back them up. We would have probably remebered nintendo for the original bad screen game boy.

Later

I posted previously on a separate thread that the GBA SP is the best portable gaming system on the whole with its humongous liabrary, long battery life, true portability and finally a lighting system. It is not perfect though as it does not have a built in earphone jack and no dimmer for the side light. I find that inexcusable as there are quality portables, the Lynx, Nomad and Game Gear that have been around for over ten years and have these things. Still, the GBA SP is the best out there and I don't see any portable on the horizon that will unseat it.

It is not perfect though as  it does not have a built in earphone jack and no dimmer for the side light.  I find that inexcusable as there are quality portables, the Lynx, Nomad and Game Gear that have been around for over ten years and have these things.

I think that Nintendo axed those features in order to achieve the smallest size possible. I can live with their exclusion if it means that I can truly carry the thing around in my pocket. Try doing that with your Lynx!

Then Wario Ware came out, and I've been motivated to get an SP.. and have been hooked since then!

A friend broguht over Warioland 4...somehow I was a little bummed to realize how much of the general vibe and sound effects weren't original to WarioWare, but were also used in that game.

A friend broguht over Warioland 4...somehow I was a little bummed to realize how much of the general vibe and sound effects weren't original to WarioWare, but were also used in that game.

Humm never tried Warioland 4.. is it good?

Regards!

Rasty.-

Humm never tried Warioland 4.. is it good?

I only played a few levels, but I didn't find it really grabbing me.

It's kind of an interesting idea, most of the levels seem to be you have to get to a goal point, and then get out back to start against a minute or minute thirty timer.

I don't think I'll bother with it much more...

It's a really good platformer if you give it a chance. Wario has to use different moves (and transformations) to complete each level, and sometimes can find secret bonus areas with a charging headbutt or an amusing big butt STOMP onto the floor below. :thumbsup:

maybe I'll come back to it sometime....

Wario's kind of an odd duck. On the one hand, I was going to say it seems like he's less forcefully "dejapanized" when the games come over here, relative to the other main-stable Nintendo stuff. But then it occurs to me, he's also some of the only original 1st party Nintendo content being made, so much of the other stuff are just ports of the well-established Mario games.

Nintendo might be being a little "looser" with this stuff in general...I'd guess that a NES-era release of, say, Mario Party, wouldn't leave in showing characters sleeping by a blank speech balloon coming out of the nose, but replace it with a speech balloon coming out of the mouth, with a saw-and-log or big "Z" there.

Oh, and using "O" for yes and "X" for no...a more americanized port of WarioWare would probably use a checkmark for yes.

Anyway, maybe I'll give the game another shot, but I should use some kind of guide, I don't like it quite enough to really want to spend too much time on it.

Thinking of Nintendo's current strategy of rehashing the hell out of its old games...it'll be interesting to see if the next generation of Nintendo handheld can handle ports of N64 games...I think 3d worlds ala Mario 64 would be really compelling in handheld form.