IGNORED

PS2 repair?

dudeguy

It could be multiple issues, but is probably an alignment issue.

• Drive motor dead, dirty/jammed lid sensor (Ie doesn’t spin, not spin full-speed)
  • Doesn’t read (Black or Blue or DVD discs), but reads the others. Probably alignment.
  • Data cables damaged. (Unlikely)

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2003/11/ps2-repair-guide/amp/

There are other guides on how to fix alignment issues. Also guides to fix the slow spinning can be caused by a bad/dirty lid sensor (but I cannot be bothered to find them).

Worst case is you can just ignore the laser drive assembly and load games through the Memory Card port using FreeBoot or other tools.

Edited by CapitanClassic
  • Thanks 2

I got the tray working better after loosening a couple screws. The adjustment on the laser height didnt do anything at all, not that I expected it to. I forgot what position it was in initially but I put it back to where I think I started.

Tried adjusting the potentiometer, at least the CD side. Didnt help, but not having my multimeter handy, I didnt want keep turning on it, so I tried it once, then gave up. Once I have the multimeter, I'll be able to make adjustments.

I have a feeling Im gonna just end up replacing the laser (around $50 shipped) but Id like to at least say I spent some time trying to repair it.

One question- besides the worm gear that the lense assembly slides on, does anything else need to be lubed up, and what's the best lube to use? Im assuming the tray rails need to be lubed up as well? Looks like a petroleum based silicone was originally used being that it's brownish in color? wouldnt think thatd be good for plastic

6 hours ago, RARusk said:

I wish there was a board that could be put inside that hooks up to the main board that would allow you to use USB based external DVD-ROM drives and replace the junky internal drives.

well literally every single one of my disc based consoles doesnt work in some form or fashion. incredibly, my Saturn and Sega CD are the only ones i havent had issues with, at least not since the last time i played them