IGNORED

Ti 300 baud modem

Vorticon

3 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

Hi. Does anyone have a manual for the original TI 300 baud modem by any chance? Lee kindly donated one to me a while back and I have a little project in mind for it. 

In particular, I need to know the power supply specs and the function of the 3-way TST switch in the back.

You mean the acoustic coupler?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

Hi. Does anyone have a manual for the original TI 300 baud modem by any chance? Lee kindly donated one to me a while back and I have a little project in mind for it. 

In particular, I need to know the power supply specs and the function of the 3-way TST switch in the back.

Acoustic Coupler Manual from WHTech.

...lee

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

Thank you! Unfortunately the manual does not give the specs of the power supply other than stating it is a low power AC supply....

Any info on that?

I have two in my storage room.  I am heading out there tonight or tomorrow and will have a peek for you.  Maybe someone will come up with it before I do.  OTTOMH, I believe it to be 9VAC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is a picture of a psu with imprinted specs, but maybe this is not the original one from TI ?

https://www.nightfallcrew.com/23/04/2018/telephone-coupler-modem-ti-php1600-boxed/

It says: "Novation Model 901017 - Input 117V AC 60 Hz 15W - Output 20V AC 400mA"

hmm, but my list says: "120V 60Hz 12W - 24VA 9,6VA"

That´s somehow strange now, but I have never checked that upstairs

so for now, you have the choice ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Schmitzi said:

When I try to open the file it says content restricted...

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Schmitzi said:

hmm, sorry I don´t know... maybe an old Acrobat Reader ?

anyone else with a problem ?

It looks like the problem is with my phone. No issues with my laptop. That spreadsheet is impressive! I know you keep a large database of everything TI, and I was wondering if you have it available for download by any chance. I would love to have it archived for my personal use.

As for the power supply, since you are planning to do ungodly things to the device, maybe just open it up and figure out what voltages the circuits actually need and apply that directly.  24V AC seems like a lot to run a device like this, but then we are talking old technology.  I imagine there is a transformer inside which is center-tapped, or the AC is used to derive positive and negative voltages (RS-232 being +/- 12V.)

46 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

As for the power supply, since you are planning to do ungodly things to the device, maybe just open it up and figure out what voltages the circuits actually need and apply that directly.  24V AC seems like a lot to run a device like this, but then we are talking old technology.  I imagine there is a transformer inside which is center-tapped, or the AC is used to derive positive and negative voltages (RS-232 being +/- 12V.)

I tried to open it but I could not slide the PCB out. It's a weird case design where the short ends come off and everything inside is on rails. I think you are right about the 24V AC being split to +/-12V though. I did find a 19V AC supply in my junk box, and now I am getting more life out of the modem (it emits a continuous beep when on in Originate mode as expected), but still not working properly, so I think the 24V AC I ordered will do the trick fingers crossed.

And no, I am no planning ungodly things to the device, but it's such obsolete technology that the mere fact of getting it to work might require Gregorian incantations and incense burning... 👿

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

And no, I am no planning ungodly things to the device, but it's such obsolete technology that the mere fact of getting it to work might require Gregorian incantations and incense burning... 👿

Tonight, I will also sacrifice a bucket of KFC for the cause.

• Haha 3