IGNORED

Mortal Kombat "Choose Your Fighter" screen using Raptor API

trufungames

Hi there!

I'm Chris.  As a kid, I liked three things: computer programming, Mortal Kombat, and (believe it or not) the Atari Jaguar.  I'm not sure why, but I just liked rooting for the under dog.  To this day, I still don't feel that the Atari Jaguar got a fair shake.  It was stuck in that "in-between" phase of gaming as things transitioned from 2D to 3D.  Despite it's lackluster 3D graphics, the Atari Jaguar was quite the powerhouse when it came to 2D graphic capabilities.  And, because of this, I have always felt that a nearly arcade perfect port of Mortal Kombat could have been built for the Jaguar.  Back then, the arcade version of games was the gold standard and home console ports were always lacking.

For this project, I used the original Mortal Kombat arcade graphics, music, and sound effects to build a proof-of-concept that the Atari Jaguar could indeed handle a faithful port of the arcade original.  This "Choose Your Fighter" screen showcases the use of large animated sprites, user input, music playback, and the voiceovers via RAW sound sampling.

Raptor API was perfect for this project!  Below is a video explaining a bit of my development process and a link to the source code.  Let me know what you guys think, and feel free to build upon this project if you find it useful.

Thanks!

-Chris

Git Repo: https://github.com/trufungames/Mortal-Kombat-Atari-Jaguar

mk1_jaguar.png

• Like 1