IGNORED

No Accounting for Taste - Your Guilty Pleasures and Unpopular Favourites

36 minutes ago, Austin said:

That's cruel that you'd be willing to put your nephews on something that's the equivalent of a rusty old bike with no tires and nails popping out of the seat. C'mon, give 'em something at least a little bit better. (BlazeOn is at least infinitely better than D-Force). 😆

nicer than suggesting their parents get a $200 ED to use in a $20 RD2, lol They also have the 180-in-1 cart from here, and the Thunder Spirits from Mom's house. Cruel would be getting them Space Invaders. They like to beat me, which likely ain't hard, but has to be something I can kinda play.

So far, I make it to the giant connect-4 looking thing, on my last life

Edited by zylon
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, zylon said:

I have the 239, and while not in order, it does have more on it, that I'd play. Function is the same, and if you end up with an older battery one, it still saves multiple games at once. There's a 630-in-1 that also does that.

Argh battery?!  I just noticed there were two versions thanks.  I just CANCELLED IT.  Screw that, I found one that's no battery, that's more reliable than that mess.  Once I see myself refunded I'll order the right one.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Argh battery?!  I just noticed there were two versions thanks.  I just CANCELLED IT.  Screw that, I found one that's no battery, that's more reliable than that mess.  Once I see myself refunded I'll order the right one.  Thanks.

the battery version still holds your place and saves multiple games, but for same price, I'd agree. There's also a 249, which is the 239+10 more, and those never have the battery either.

7 minutes ago, zylon said:

the battery version still holds your place and saves multiple games, but for same price, I'd agree. There's also a 249, which is the 239+10 more, and those never have the battery either.

The 249 never has a battery?  I've been trying to figure out the difference between those two, don't want to keep canceling buys. That seller I linked has both.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/72-pin-Gama-cartridge/1102563325_40000003964096.html?origin=n&SortType=bestmatch_sort&g=y&SearchText=in 1

:D

Edited by Tanooki

2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

The 249 never has a battery?  I've been trying to figure out the difference between those two, don't want to keep canceling buys. That seller I linked has both.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/72-pin-Gama-cartridge/1102563325_40000003964096.html?origin=n&SortType=bestmatch_sort&g=y&SearchText=in 1

:D

249 is the immediate predecessor to the 253, just carries over the 239 games, adding 10 more

Ahh ok I guess I can see how that progression would work, and roll with the battery issue.  239 earliest goes both ways, call it like pixel games board v1, then late 239, 249, 253 are v2 with FRAM vs battery save.  Then the 630 is even older, a v1 board and it's just out of service unless you find an old stock copy from a third party.  That solves that.  I think I'm starting to see which few games hit the one over the other.  Twinbee 3, Terminator 1, a Gradius II, a few others but no removals.  It's when you get to the 253 there are some real removals and changes towards the better setup with the advanced mapper support.

• Like 1

Ahh ok I guess I can see how that progression would work, and roll with the battery issue.  239 earliest goes both ways, call it like pixel games board v1, then late 239, 249, 253 are v2 with FRAM vs battery save.  Then the 630 is even older, a v1 board and it's just out of service unless you find an old stock copy from a third party.  That solves that.  I think I'm starting to see which few games hit the one over the other.  Twinbee 3, Terminator 1, a Gradius II, a few others but no removals.  It's when you get to the 253 there are some real removals and changes towards the better setup with the advanced mapper support.

Now, back onto Snes, my backup multicart, is the battery powered version of this one- https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805302685035.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.36.21ef1802sGcdc7&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Good selection,not overloaded with any particular genre, couple deep dives, and rpg loaded. It holds as many saves as I try. Only fault I'd give it, is the FFIV is not the translated one, but all that would mean, is having essentially two of same game on it. The two US versions work fine.

• Like 1

So this is interesting

I have several multicarts for the NES...

Legendary and Forever games being my favs, along with the Konami Chronicle, and Mega Man "collection", and my first one... the red "Super Games 150 in 1" which I mostly keep around for the light gun selection, although I don't think I ever play them.

I think all these came from AliExpress. Except for the Mega Man multicart, which was eBay... And it took so long to arrive the seller refunded me before it got here.

So anyways... Since the SNES was brought up, I realize I don't have any AliExpress style pirate carts for the SNES. 

Is there a consensus on a really good SNES cheapo multicart? I like battery saves, and hopefully some translations and RPGs maybe.   

Like....what's THE one to own?

Since this thread seems to have some very versed members on this subject, I thought I'd ask.

1 hour ago, CaptainBreakout said:

So this is interesting

I have several multicarts for the NES...

Legendary and Forever games being my favs, along with the Konami Chronicle, and Mega Man "collection", and my first one... the red "Super Games 150 in 1" which I mostly keep around for the light gun selection, although I don't think I ever play them.

I think all these came from AliExpress. Except for the Mega Man multicart, which was eBay... And it took so long to arrive the seller refunded me before it got here.

So anyways... Since the SNES was brought up, I realize I don't have any AliExpress style pirate carts for the SNES. 

Is there a consensus on a really good SNES cheapo multicart? I like battery saves, and hopefully some translations and RPGs maybe.   

Like....what's THE one to own?

Since this thread seems to have some very versed members on this subject, I thought I'd ask.

Depends on what you want to play. Almost all use a save battery or have been upgraded to save on a chip. Most battery models still available, can save multile games at once, as do the chip-save models.

I have the 150-in-1, and it comes in both styles now, battery and chip. The legendary or forever series is still out there. Some using battery, and others upgraded to use save on chip. In the case of those, both only save one game at a time, though the chip models have some repaired games, such as Deathbots now works. Everyone selling them says the same, so label is the clue to which board it has, though not absolute.

@zylon So the SNES cart has 2 copies of FF2/4?  Not a big deal, I guess, as long as they're both in english meaning one is the harder potentially JP release (not JP easy type which is even more dumbed down simple than FF2US was, it's their FF Mystic Quest basically.)  I'm sure it has a decent list of things at 101 titles, no special chips, but no matter that leaves nearly everything from Square, Enix, Tecmo, Capcom, Taito, Bandai, etc on the table.  I've considered a SNES multi, but maybe it's preference of another era when I loved getting weirdo supervision etc NES carts 10-20 years back but I just haven't bothered.  Also those SNES carts tend to be quite lacking in JP releases unlike the more balanced 8bit ones maybe that's why.  That Game King broker I'm going to keep in mind, they already shipped the thing, no wait which was nice, the other wasn't even started processing so I already got refunded in 12hrs~ vs 3-5days. (NICE!)

I'm on board with @CaptainBreakout about wondering, since we're now into battery-less well retained saves that's a big plus on SNES too like NES since they do die, and those ones will be really cheapo cells to given the costs involved.  I do wonder which would be considered the best, maybe the most loaded out as well to some point.  SNES (JP/PAL excluded) is similarly sized out to SFC, not quite as widely hosed over though not small by any means either on what Japan saw.  Like he many of my multis, the moderns all really but one(got local with a handheld the super games 500in1) from aliexpress since I'm willing to wait, never got a refund over a loss/overly late one.  I don't think I've heard of Konami Chronicle, should be worth a look on 8bit (16bit if that existed too) but the MM one I have along with the Super/Forever/Legendaries.

You know strangely one of my favorites which really shouldn't in recent years (5~) was found in a goodwill for $5, and the reason why isn't the cart directly so much that it came with this demonic red glowing eyed Penguin standing up Famiclone console that worked remarkably well whatever I threw at it, but being crap built, it failed a couple years later.  I kept the game though and it has this nice printed(well done) game list of the 111 titles I keep with the cart for a cool reference point before starting up.

@zylon So the SNES cart has 2 copies of FF2/4?  Not a big deal, I guess, as long as they're both in english meaning one is the harder potentially JP release (not JP easy type which is even more dumbed down simple than FF2US was, it's their FF Mystic Quest basically.)  I'm sure it has a decent list of things at 101 titles, no special chips, but no matter that leaves nearly everything from Square, Enix, Tecmo, Capcom, Taito, Bandai, etc on the table.  I've considered a SNES multi, but maybe it's preference of another era when I loved getting weirdo supervision etc NES carts 10-20 years back but I just haven't bothered.  Also those SNES carts tend to be quite lacking in JP releases unlike the more balanced 8bit ones maybe that's why.  That Game King broker I'm going to keep in mind, they already shipped the thing, no wait which was nice, the other wasn't even started processing so I already got refunded in 12hrs~ vs 3-5days. (NICE!)

I'm on board with @CaptainBreakout about wondering, since we're now into battery-less well retained saves that's a big plus on SNES too like NES since they do die, and those ones will be really cheapo cells to given the costs involved.  I do wonder which would be considered the best, maybe the most loaded out as well to some point.  SNES (JP/PAL excluded) is similarly sized out to SFC, not quite as widely hosed over though not small by any means either on what Japan saw.  Like he many of my multis, the moderns all really but one(got local with a handheld the super games 500in1) from aliexpress since I'm willing to wait, never got a refund over a loss/overly late one.  I don't think I've heard of Konami Chronicle, should be worth a look on 8bit (16bit if that existed too) but the MM one I have along with the Super/Forever/Legendaries.

You know strangely one of my favorites which really shouldn't in recent years (5~) was found in a goodwill for $5, and the reason why isn't the cart directly so much that it came with this demonic red glowing eyed Penguin standing up Famiclone console that worked remarkably well whatever I threw at it, but being crap built, it failed a couple years later.  I kept the game though and it has this nice printed(well done) game list of the 111 titles I keep with the cart for a cool reference point before starting up.

Electric in my area is goofy, so I like to keep old faithful battery as my backup. That 101 has decent stuff, IMHO. Just from memory...

Shooters - 

Contra III, gradius 3, choplifter III, super R-Type, caravan shooting collection, super smash TV

Beat em ups- X-Men, turtles IV, final fight 1&3

Sports- NBA jam

Rpg -earthbound, bof1, ff2, ff3, ff IV easy and in jp, lufia II, Chrono trigger, harvest moon, illusion of Gaia, ogre battle, Link to the past (depends on how you class)

Mario all-star, smw, Mario kart

Quite a few others that I know are popular, but I ignore, lol. "Best" is arbitrary, in terms of what someone wants. Rpg-wise, the best was the black 138-in-1, out of recent production, but still around. Used battery, but held plenty of simultaneous saves. The goldish grey 125 in one is an oldie, and only holds one save, but we'll loaded with RPGs, minus Chrono trigger, and probably the best shooters lineup there was. Out of production, but easily found with slight markup. Only glaring fault was mega man 7.

For sports, I'd recommend the purple 120-in-1, or the blue 121-in-1.  They both have a good shooters, beat em ups, and rpg stocks as well, including the English translations of the Dragon quest and FF games.

Current production rpg loaded ones, are the translucent gold 68-in-1, using battery, but saves multiple games, only missing lufia 1 mainly. Using chip save, I'd recommend the clear 88-in-1

If translated Japan games are your thing, the 146-in-1 is best yet, and includes done hacks and modern games. Only 1/4 are commonly seen on other multis

Edited by zylon
  • Like 2

My most played one- https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805235408962.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.150.185d1802QsfGZx&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

RPG stacked- https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805235466074.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000060.2.696461d4iYxQv5&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.291025.0&scm_id=1007.13339.291025.0&scm-url=1007.13339.291025.0&pvid=235cbd03-1fed-45ef-b703-b31a135b1df4&_t=gps-id%3ApcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller%2Cscm-url%3A1007.13339.291025.0%2Cpvid%3A235cbd03-1fed-45ef-b703-b31a135b1df4%2Ctpp_buckets%3A668%232846%238110%231995&pdp_npi=3%40dis!USD!15.34!15.34!!!!!%402101c5bf16897905586528186eee21!12000032999287220!rec!US!2637729830&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

similar but chip save- https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801664314773.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.57.32e41802VL6uvU&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Both these are missing Soul Blazer, and Lufia-Fortress of Doom, but the multi-cart Lufia is often the buggy one.

good all-around selection- https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805235428018.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000013.7.696461d4iYxQv5&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.291025.0&scm_id=1007.13339.291025.0&scm-url=1007.13339.291025.0&pvid=0bac21bf-325c-47ba-9cb6-781e0955ca0e&_t=gps-id:pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller,scm-url:1007.13339.291025.0,pvid:0bac21bf-325c-47ba-9cb6-781e0955ca0e,tpp_buckets:668%232846%238110%231995&pdp_npi=3%40dis!USD!16.04!16.04!!!!!%402101c5bf16897905589078192eee21!12000032998935198!rec!US!2637729830

Loaded with Jp translations, hacks, and homebrews- https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801655458433.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.83.185d1802QsfGZx&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Popular, and tends to sell out on etsy and amazon alot- https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803015755594.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.108.185d1802QsfGZx&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Supposedly, this one has the later translation for 1st Lufia, and some bugs fixed

• Thanks 1

I bookmarked that heavily english translated selection of grade A Japanese SFC games.  That list is supremely impressive.  The others are anywhere from whatever to pretty slick given the game lists, but they all in a way seem to lack.  But that translation bomb that stands unique for some quality play on stuff we got denied decades ago all in one cheap package.

• Like 1

Here's some pics of my Konami Chronicle NES cart.

IMG_20230719_231413557.thumb.jpg.20cd9b726267bc087e5ac54da0633d9f.jpg

IMG_20230719_231147882.thumb.jpg.361e22f32f9a0aca8484c3fa2ba4bb02.jpg

IMG_20230719_231151338.thumb.jpg.9cc9862cf837934c2df55dc3398fc29c.jpg

IMG_20230719_231154189.thumb.jpg.a6af96b139854bca623a6d945ab6bac6.jpg

As you can see, it's a cart by BlazePro... Who I believe also made the Legendary and Forever carts (or at least the rom compilation and menu) I believe they also made the Mega Man cart. 

Anyway, I got it mainly for Crisis Force... Which isn't included in most of the big NES multicarts, especially the translated version. It's good... It's got a lot of flicker... But it's on par with SMS's Power Strike.  Not quite MUSHA.... But for the NES it's pretty major wow.

The I'm Kid Dracula and Konami Wai Wai world are also a good reason to own this. It's got the Wai Wai world ENG patch and also the title screen patch. Sadly not the "walk in the middle of the screen" patch, which would be a nice quality-of-life improvement for the game, but that's my only complaint on this cart.

Actually, another complaint is the Moai Kun appears on the label, but the game isn't in the cart. Oh well. 

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I bookmarked that heavily english translated selection of grade A Japanese SFC games.  That list is supremely impressive.  The others are anywhere from whatever to pretty slick given the game lists, but they all in a way seem to lack.  But that translation bomb that stands unique for some quality play on stuff we got denied decades ago all in one cheap package.

I know several goodies on that one. A friend of mine is a reseller for those, and lets me test them. It's one anyone with a deeper interest, should grab. Beats playing around with patching ROMs on an emulator IMHO. I ordered one of the 68-in-1. It's one I could use in future for just keeping saves safe, while I play other stuff. Nearly complete NTSC rpg catalog.

4 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Here's some pics of my Konami Chronicle NES cart.

IMG_20230719_231413557.thumb.jpg.20cd9b726267bc087e5ac54da0633d9f.jpg

IMG_20230719_231147882.thumb.jpg.361e22f32f9a0aca8484c3fa2ba4bb02.jpg

IMG_20230719_231151338.thumb.jpg.9cc9862cf837934c2df55dc3398fc29c.jpg

IMG_20230719_231154189.thumb.jpg.a6af96b139854bca623a6d945ab6bac6.jpg

As you can see, it's a cart by BlazePro... Who I believe also made the Legendary and Forever carts (or at least the rom compilation and menu) I believe they also made the Mega Man cart. 

Anyway, I got it mainly for Crisis Force... Which isn't included in most of the big NES multicarts, especially the translated version. It's good... It's got a lot of flicker... But it's on par with SMS's Power Strike.  Not quite MUSHA.... But for the NES it's pretty major wow.

The I'm Kid Dracula and Konami Wai Wai world are also a good reason to own this. It's got the Wai Wai world ENG patch and also the title screen patch. Sadly not the "walk in the middle of the screen" patch, which would be a nice quality-of-life improvement for the game, but that's my only complaint on this cart.

Actually, another complaint is the Moai Kun appears on the label, but the game isn't in the cart. Oh well. 

I have the forever Duo, and the 1up cart, which is just the forever 405-10 games. They don't run the upper level stuff, but contain the widest spread of games, with lots of deep dives. The new chip save version has several fixed titles, but most of the same limitations. Still only one game save, but you can play ones using the SRAM, without nuking it. The 509 was always chip save, but still only one save, and problematic on some systems. For some reason, I can't run the crystalis on it, except for on the Yobo. Another oddity was the untranslated gun nac, but it's loaded with recent goodies, like R-Type, Altered Beast, etc. I've seen that Konami cart, considered it,but passed since what I'd play, is already on several ones I have. Even odder, is I do much better on gradius 2, than the original, 😂 

I like that R-Type, but it's got so much complete sprite flicker, that it looks like a lost Atari attempt. I mean enemies completely disappear, and reappear. It's fun, but I'd hate it to be my only version. 

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

Wow that Konami cart is fantastic.  It's kind of a what's what of the Famicom we were denied in the west.  Amusingly I own Crisis Force, even has the manual(my only FC manual) and got it maybe a decade ago now so it was cheap. :)  Wai Wai World 2, an english chip dropped translation of Goemon, Gradius II, Parodius, Twinbee3, Kid Dracula, and I've got a new 'mindkids' made well made copycat of Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa because I'm not an idiot to pay $150~ for a FC cart.  I like that spread either way on that cart as it's original and patched, has some interesting stuff, shocked Salamander is missing given it's intact unlike Life Force.  I think Yume Penguin Monogatari is a stupid omission too as it's cute, fun, plays well, and is very unique.  You can still win, and lose, if your penguin ends it overweight.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Offhand, I liked Ancient Magic, Lennus 2, and Villgust, though Super Boss Gaiden was hillarious. The Sailor Moon is the "beat em up", not the rpg, but still worth the value easily. The BS Zelda is a beautiful looking redo of the original NES. I even die about same place, which is about 3 screens any direction.

Edited by zylon
  • Haha 1

@zylon I know the Sailor Moon games quite well on GB and SFC for the most part.  I own the 2 on GB, currently own SM SMR and S fighter on SFC, I've had Stars fighter and a couple puzzles back before 2005 as well.  ANother Story I never owned, but when it was translated 20 years back or so I patched and playe dit, the only SNES RPG I ever played to finish(and did) on an emulator ever.  SMR though is a fantastic brawler, irons out the stiffness of the original.

BS Zelda is a fantastic piece of work I'm glad people found a way to pop together in such a way you can do it without the loss of primary content given the BS system is long offline.

I own around 30 SFC games (45~ FC games) and not getting into multicarts on that count.

31 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

@zylon I know the Sailor Moon games quite well on GB and SFC for the most part.  I own the 2 on GB, currently own SM SMR and S fighter on SFC, I've had Stars fighter and a couple puzzles back before 2005 as well.  ANother Story I never owned, but when it was translated 20 years back or so I patched and playe dit, the only SNES RPG I ever played to finish(and did) on an emulator ever.  SMR though is a fantastic brawler, irons out the stiffness of the original.

BS Zelda is a fantastic piece of work I'm glad people found a way to pop together in such a way you can do it without the loss of primary content given the BS system is long offline.

I own around 30 SFC games (45~ FC games) and not getting into multicarts on that count.

Actually, given some of the others on that cart, I only tried it, because it might have been some hack worth a laugh. BS usually means something to that effect. There's a handful on there, that the initial "WTF" hasn't faded out yet, lol. Quite a few, take way too long to start doing anything. There was one, something about scarlet king, that I never even got to do anything, before I turned it off. My drink was done, and so was I, lol. Those three I liked, were really good, at least in the half hour time I allotted for testing. Those alone in cheap repros, would almost double cost of buying one of those carts. :)

The Bandai Satteliview has a fantastic mash up over many weeks of both a re-creation of the original Zelda, but applying more tracks and circuits coming together to effectively create F-Zero 2 (BS F-Zero) for the system, much has been recovered and compiled to play but sadly an entire circuit is missing other than a couple terrible images of it.  There's also a really solid golfing game I'm forgetting the name of among other decent to also just forgettable stuff (some anime franchise based in that.)

40 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Sure sure, be honest you've been afraid all this time he's a dirty old man in a cave.  Come on, admit it, when he offered you a piece of wood, you ran. :D

they tend to be my biggest fans, lol. In all seriousness, if I can't just walk around a spot on the map, gain 5 levels and try moving on, rinse and repeat, if failure, and eventually overpower the game, I'm not going to get anywhere, in anything where I have to actually do it. This is one, where I'd have to put on a walkthrough video on screen beside it, and endlessly pause, and inch forward, and that's not playing it. If I can't pick it up, cart only and make it through, without internet, I ain't bothering. Last I messed with it, I kept getting where I'd appear on next screen completely surrounded, but can't attack till you move, that move gets you hit, then you can't shoot, and it doesn't get much further. Things look like the 2nd 2600 space invader from top, on a pogo stick, lol. I'd rather the pea spitting brownie in Fantasy Zone.

In real life, I handle my sword fairly well. :P M1840 "wrist breaker"

Edited by zylon
  • Haha 1

Well Zelda does that, just not so transparently with patently obvious XP numbers and Lv listings.  Within 5min you can easily walk places on the map (if using a guide, fair, given Nintendo handed them out in the day free or for a few bucks.) to get you +2 heart containers.  I do admit I don't blame you with the cart only and play to fun/to completion without online videos and typed up junk I get that.  I don't remember whatever screen you'd jump into from the next where you are surrounded and can't strike unless you move.

Maybe you'd like the Japanese FC versions of those NES games as I can think of 2 Sega games that got the shaft stateside, Afterburner and Fantasy Zone are both quite poorer here than there.