IGNORED

Indus GT “Happy” upgrade?

macsonny

Hi All,

I’m waiting on a few Indus GT drives to arrive. Fingers cross they get in soon.

I was wondering if a “Happy” type enhancement was ever done for the Indus drives? I know there are a few different ROMs around (I’ve burn them to test when the drives arrive) but not sure if anything was done to give more functionality like the Happy upgrades do for the 1050 drives.

Anyone know if anything existed for the Indus drives?

Thanks

Hello guys

15 minutes ago, videofx said:

Sorry to say Happy Computing never made their copying hardware/software for Indus

That doesn't mean that it couldn't still be done.  Somebody "just" has to write the software.  With the RAMcharger board, it has more memory than the Happy 1050 ever had.

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, videofx said:

Sorry to say Happy Computing never made their copying hardware/software for Indus

Porting the Happy software to work on the Indus GT would have reduced potential sales of the Happy 1050 upgrade. 

It should be possible but there is the issue that the drives use different CPUs, Happy 1050=6502B/Indus GT=Z80.

The Indus is a fine drive in its own right, with some unique capabilities, but there was only one Happy.  The guys who wrote the 810 Archiver and then Bob Puff who wrote the Super Archiver certainly showed that it's possible to recreate something similar.  As @Mathy said, someone "just" needs to write the software.

6 hours ago, BillC said:

Porting the Happy software to work on the Indus GT would have reduced potential sales of the Happy 1050 upgrade. 

It should be possible but there is the issue that the drives use different CPUs, Happy 1050=6502B/Indus GT=Z80.

Given the huge amount of RAM a RAMCharger offers it might be possible to do a rather rough conversion (substituting Macros for Z80 opcodes).

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

good thing the iNdus can boot load a disk and reprogram itself to act like other drives ;)

point in case, US Doubler Mode emulation disk.

ever wonder what else could be done?

Could you explain that a bit more?  US Doubler mode needs a new rom, doesn't it? By @MrMartian?  I haven't heard of it being loaded by disk.