IGNORED

2023 Winter/Spring HSC - Round 4 - Vampires!

BydoEmpire

A game I've never played, and only randomly stumbled upon while browsing "best SMS games" lists. Perhaps Sega's answer to Castlevania... What the heck, let's give it a shot, it's Vampire: Master of Darkness. Looks pretty cool, I'm anxious to give it a go.

Bonus Point: play Bram Stoker's Dracula - a game I think is actually pretty decent, although I've never put much time into it.

This round runs February 27th - March 12th

Master_of_Darkness_Coverart.png

Totals:

1. @Dashopepper 239,380
  2. @jeremiahjt 64,370 (GG version)
  3. @fakecortex 55,910 (+1)
  4. @BydoEmpire 34,610 (+1)
  5. @Trinity32 32,050 (+1)
Edited by BydoEmpire

Had literally 5 minutes to find the rom and play. Didn't finish my game, but wanted to post something to get on the board.  Fun game, but those bats are brutal!

image.png.6b5c3f63d43da99e51c1526d945669fd.png

[edit] urg, score doesn't show up when paused.. that's frustrating. Oh well, it was around 7,800 but I'll be posting more scores later anyways.

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Trinity32 said:

Sega's answer to Castlevania is amazingly competent. I haven't died to bottomless pits, there is no knockback into said pits, the bosses are hard but fair...No wonder I took to sega early on.

anyway, here is my score for this awesome game: 

Thanks for playing! It is really well done. Not having played it before I was fearing a cheap knock-off that didn't play well, but quite the opposite. I do have a hard time hitting some of the enemies, especially with the dagger, but that probably come with more play time.

Master of Darkness is a nice looking and competent game, for as far as I got, but it’s hard not to compare it to you-know-what on NES, which it’s just not. The opening was pretty cool tho. The first level was nothing special, felt like you were just fighting a bunch of g-men haha, but the second level amped up the creepiness for sure. 

MoD - 55,910

6123FDE9-CD0D-4E67-B233-6264EC26C757.thumb.jpeg.96ab8f56d45357333706e7ab63ade3d2.jpeg

I also played Bram Stoker’s Dracula, but couldn’t get a pic. I think the score was around 27k, but with it only showing when you pause, and the pause being on the system (on the mega everdrive cart in my case), I’m not exactly sure. I beat the NES version with no continues last year in that HSC. I got really into it, watched the movie and everything. This version looks really nice and has that sweet sound bite in the beginning. But it plays too fast, which I think is bc it’s a PAL game. I set my everdrive to PAL, but I honestly don’t know if that changes anything, or if that’s even possible. I also prefer the NES controller to the SMS or Gen, so things felt a bit wonky for me. I’ll probably give it another go bc I like it, but I might not be compelled to beat this version. 

• Like 1

I beat the game. Pretty decent challenge with only a few, “fall off this ledge and instantly die” areas.  Died on last boss with just one hit to go, but got him a lot easier on my last life.  Some of the late levels are awesome looking.  I’d say this competes with Castlevania any day.545079E2-C1E6-4CA8-BD6E-D5D2222617CC.jpeg

Edited by Dashopepper
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Dashopepper said:

I beat the game. Pretty decent challenge with only a few, “fall off this ledge and instantly die” areas.  Died on last boss with just one hit to go, but got him a lot easier on my last life.

3af6p7.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=d121ca94564acc

I should give this one more play time. I enjoyed the couple games I played, but didn't even beat the first boss...

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 1