IGNORED

How Can I Get A Boxed "Piggy Bank"?

SpicedUp!

I'm behind the curve on this but I recently found out about this and it's exactly my kind of game. Coming from the UK, the weird enemies remind me of Jet Set Willy/Manic Miner 

How can I get this game and box/manual/overlay etc? I think I have to buy the box separately?

Is it still possible to  buy it new? and how much should I expect to pay if I have to go to EBay?

Thank you :)

10 hours ago, SpicedUp! said:

I'm behind the curve on this but I recently found out about this and it's exactly my kind of game. Coming from the UK, the weird enemies remind me of Jet Set Willy/Manic Miner 

How can I get this game and box/manual/overlay etc? I think I have to buy the box separately?

Is it still possible to  buy it new? and how much should I expect to pay if I have to go to EBay?

Thank you :)

Piggy Bank was never released in a box.  It was released in a plastic baggy with a sucker pop.  It was part of the cheeky statement it was trying to make at the time: that even games of questionable quality rushed into production were collector's fodder, and a cash grab.

Hence the attempt at releasing a quick-and-dirty game as cheaply as possible, with the cheeky name.

It turned out to be a pretty good game, after all, so there's that.  😁

dZ.

On 2/28/2023 at 4:27 AM, IntvCasey said:

You cannot buy it new any longer. It’s hard to find and quite expensive. 

Thank you - looks like it will be an expensive purchase for me one day then 😔

On 2/28/2023 at 10:31 AM, DZ-Jay said:

Piggy Bank was never released in a box.  It was released in a plastic baggy with a sucker pop.  It was part of the cheeky statement it was trying to make at the time: that even games of questionable quality rushed into production were collector's fodder, and a cash grab.

Hence the attempt at releasing a quick-and-dirty game as cheaply as possible, with the cheeky name.

It turned out to be a pretty good game, after all, so there's that.  😁

dZ.

Ok thanks for the info. Yes it looks like a good game to me! I think they failed on that statement a bit there. They seem to get a lot of moving objects on screen at times or at least large objects - that must indicate a fair amount of effort on their part surely?

Do you know if it is possible to buy that box someone made with the manuals and overlays from somewhere that prints them? 

Edited by SpicedUp!

20 minutes ago, SpicedUp! said:

Thank you - looks like it will be an expensive purchase for me one day then 😔

Ok thanks for the info. Yes it looks like a good game to me! I think they failed on that statement a bit there. They seem to get a lot of moving objects on screen at times or at least large objects - that must indicate a fair amount of effort on their part surely?

I do not recall the details right now, but I believe the game was done in a few weeks.  The programmer, GroovyBee, is very talented, so he was able to put together the game quickly.  Others may be able to provide more details.  I wasn't really involved in the production -- I just know the person who did it and was in communications with him during development.

20 minutes ago, SpicedUp! said:

Do you know if it is possible to buy that box someone made with the manuals and overlays from somewhere that prints them? 

I do not know what that box is.  Like I said, the game was not released in a box -- only on a simple zip-lock baggy.

-dZ.

• Like 1

Boxes were made in two styles by two different parties. The full manual and overlays were done by yet another. This is a case of keeping expectations low and luckily it over delivered on the quality of game play. It was started 9 weeks before PRGE and released at the expo. In total 128 copies were made and sold plus a few demo cart only ones which have a slightly different ROM version, which has a less sarcastic of a tone for demo in the AtariAge booth.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, BBWW said:

Boxes were made in two styles by two different parties. The full manual and overlays were done by yet another. This is a case of keeping expectations low and luckily it over delivered on the quality of game play. It was started 9 weeks before PRGE and released at the expo. In total 128 copies were made and sold plus a few demo cart only ones which have a slightly different ROM version, which has a less sarcastic of a tone for demo in the AtariAge booth.

Ah, I see.  I never thought those were official boxes for the game.  I guess anybody can make boxes about anything these days.

-dZ.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

Ah, I see.  I never thought those were official boxes for the game.  I guess anybody can make boxes about anything these days.

-dZ.

I am having a series of boxes commissioned that will box up other boxes for display purposes only. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/2/2023 at 6:24 AM, BBWW said:

Ah ok. Thank you! I would like a boxed game but does sound like it will be expensive to get now