IGNORED

2022 Game videos

You know, it would be nice to get game-play videos.  I would not mind getting an introduction at the beginning, for context, and perhaps some conclusions or opinions at the end; but some of these videos are mostly just some dude talking, showing you pieces of the game, and then talking some more over it all.

Sometimes I do not even get to hear the sound effects or music while the dude is talking, and other times I get to see a slightly askew view of the game in a corner while the dude is showing off his cluttered room or his cat.

Anyway, not to disparage the dudes out there making videos, I'm sure your audience appreciates you, but sometimes I just want to see a demonstration of the game, to ascertain how the game looks and plays in order make a purchase decision.

dZ.

Basically, developers or publishers of the games should make gameplay videos (and perhaps release cut-down demo versions for download, as mentioned elsewhere), instead of relying on that a reviewer or social media person makes it for them. I understand sometimes deals are made where a popular YouTuber gets the exclusive rights to reveal a new game, but once that is done, the official gameplay video could be uploaded.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, vprette said:

the best competition ever?

I'm proud of Pandora from my Elektronite, but I see many good games

I love the Pandora Incident.  I still need to write a review, which I’ve been intending to do for months.

dZ.

I have a channel focused on homebrew gameplay only, sometimes my own WIP stuff. No fluff and no commentary.

I mention it here because there are many additional videos of the same games mentioned previously on this topic. So it’s not just an opportunistic plug on my part… 🙂

https://youtube.com/@intellivisionhomebrewvideo4792

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

I have a channel focused on homebrew gameplay only, sometimes my own WIP stuff. No fluff and no commentary.

I mention it here because there are many additional videos of the same games mentioned previously on this topic. So it’s not just an opportunistic plug on my part… 🙂

https://youtube.com/@intellivisionhomebrewvideo4792

Opportunistic plugs can, from time to time, be opportune to others. ;)

dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

On 3/5/2023 at 7:26 AM, DZ-Jay said:

You know, it would be nice to get game-play videos.  I would not mind getting an introduction at the beginning, for context, and perhaps some conclusions or opinions at the end; but some of these videos are mostly just some dude talking, showing you pieces of the game, and then talking some more over it all.

Sometimes I do not even get to hear the sound effects or music while the dude is talking, and other times I get to see a slightly askew view of the game in a corner while the dude is showing off his cluttered room or his cat.

Anyway, not to disparage the dudes out there making videos, I'm sure your audience appreciates you, but sometimes I just want to see a demonstration of the game, to ascertain how the game looks and plays in order make a purchase decision.

dZ.

I never thought that my raw footage would ever be interesting to an audience, but now that I know there are people out there who would prefer that to some random guy's opinion I'll start adding the footage as a companion to my reviews. 👍

58 minutes ago, MGG said:

I never thought that my raw footage would ever be interesting to an audience, but now that I know there are people out there who would prefer that to some random guy's opinion I'll start adding the footage as a companion to my reviews. 👍

Just to be clear, what I think would be useful (at least to me, although I doubt I am the only one) is a short video depicting and showcasing the game play in action and it’s salient features (bonus levels, cut-scenes, multiple arenas, etc.).

This is not necessarily the same as one of those hour-long “full game-play” videos, or a 15 minute “dude presenting game with his cat” with the sound muted. ;)

I think developers or producers could do this to showcase their games — and in fact, some have done so in the past.

It’s only recently that we’ve had an explosion of “YouTube personalities” offering long and quirky reviews of almost every game.

To be sure, reviews have their place, of course, and they can be useful, but they shouldn’t be the only way to know how a game looks or works.

dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1