IGNORED

Has anyone sold a large game collection in a single transaction?

And if so, how low did you have to go below Price Charting to offload it?

My PriceCharting account says I own $30k worth of games but if I suddenly needed the cash, I cant see someone handing me more than $10k for everything. Number one, most people dont have that much money lying around and those who do know that as well. Its not like youre competing with a dozen other local collectors who all have that kind of money to spend

I dont even think a game store would have enough cash to take in that much inventory all at once (well maybe.) But again, I cant see them giving the usual 50-55% rate on a lot of 1,000+ games, many of which would take years to move

How soon do you need the money, and how much do people want what you have? That is what influences the market.

I had a huge book collection, some of the stuff is literally priceless, possibly the only copy left in existence, hundreds of years old. Does anyone want it? No? Its worth $0, £0, 0 euros.

I recently sold my Fairchild Channel F collection despite a lot of crying and not wanting to do it. I had a price in my head what I wanted for it, reasonable I argued, by what I've seen other sets go for. Location is not helpful for me either though, UK based, I think I could have commanded a higher price in the US if I was living there. Nobody really in the UK or Europe wanted my set, because if they were already a collector, they already had it or wasn't worth the investment to get the games they didn't have.

So I dropped it gradually over time, until it hit someone's sweet spot. I do this with my single game sales as well: I start at what price I would like for it, and what has gone recently. If it doesn't go, I reduce it between 1 and 5 % until it sells after a period of time. If people wanted it at that price, they will fight for it.

My advice is:

a) Start at the price you'd like for it.

b) Have a hard limit in your head what the lowest you would accept for it.

c) Be absolutely sure you want to sell it, in my case, I accepted that I had other ways now to play these games, and I needed the money.

d) Be suspicious of any site claiming what the value of anything is. Market sites like Ebay is what is ACTUALLY sold and paid for, and is a better measure than even high street resellers like CeX because that is only based on what they have been buying and selling for if they have them regular enough - a lot of games go for far more on Ebay than they do the high street.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

thanks, Im mostly just planning for the future if for some reason I was no longer able to work or suddenly needed money for whatever reason.

I feel like trading them in to a store will be my best bet as they can usually hang onto the games for a long time before they make a sale. Usually 55-60% is that sweet spot for what people are willing to pay for a lot of random games they dont particularly care about