IGNORED

TI99/4a Problems

Atari2600PAL

My system has been having problems (various, like blank screen, game loads but crashes or doesn't respond to input etc.) with cartridge based and FinalGrom99 based software though with no cartridge in it all seems to run ok, and with the display output

I've just cleaned the cartridge slot, without dismantling, and that side of things seems a lot better at the moment (FinalGrom can be still be temperamental if I use the buttons on it though). So will dismantle to try and give the slot a better clean. Have read on the forum about removing the felt?

But the weird problem is with the display (RF PAL). Quite often when powering on, the TV displays the start-up screen but heavily tinged with a light purple colour and it looks out of tune slightly. 

Powering the 99 off/on can clear the problem. But more oddly simply unplugging the RF cable from the TV and plugging it back in solves the issue every time.

Is this likely to just be an issue with the TV compatibility I'll have to live with please?

(I have a component lead but the colours are always washed out with this)

Thanks

Have taken the 99 apart to give it a better clean

No sign of any felt other than some fluff just inside the slot so I guess that's already been removed

Gave the riser and the socket it plugs into a good dose of contact cleaner and cartridges currently seems to be working, will see how that goes

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Atari2600PAL said:

Thanks. Not sure what an "FG finger edge" is, but I cleaned up all of the riser card and the slot it goes into and so far so good.

He means the connector edge contacts of the FinalGrom99 cartridge, I am sure. Though abbreviations here are common because we are all basically lazy, I try not to use them without explanation because of the confusion they often cause.

...lee

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Lee Stewart said:

He means the connector edge contacts of the FinalGrom99 cartridge, I am sure. Though abbreviations here are common because we are all basically lazy, I try not to use them without explanation because of the confusion they often cause.

...lee

That makes sense. Thanks.

I think the TV I'm using (oldish Sony Bravia) is trying to be too clever

I've found with my Commodore 64 that if I use an AV cable I get a worse picture than with RF, but if I plug in the AV cable after the C64 is switched on I get a better (very good) picture. Further investigation showed just switching the C64 off/on a 2nd time gives the better image as the screen retunes slightly. Turning the TV on/off has the same effect though.

It's all similar to the 99 unplugging/replugging the RF cable

I can only think it's the TV's internal processing that's causing my display issues, but the menu's don't have any options for turning anything like that off

The hunt begins for a better display I guess (don't want to go down the CRT route though)

• Like 1

You will have mixed results with the video display of LCD/LED/OLED/&c. TVs.  I am surprised the RF gives you any different picture as I would expect the final decoding circuitry to be the same.  Your best bet, also a mixed bag, would be to get a composite-to-HDMI up-scaler.  I use a Kanex Pro (composite and S-Video,) some use the RetroTink (which offers component, as well,) and there are a few others used in retro circles.  Search for the "240p problem" to understand why choosing a video converter for our old systems can be challenging.

14 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

You will have mixed results with the video display of LCD/LED/OLED/&c. TVs.  I am surprised the RF gives you any different picture as I would expect the final decoding circuitry to be the same.  Your best bet, also a mixed bag, would be to get a composite-to-HDMI up-scaler.  I use a Kanex Pro (composite and S-Video,) some use the RetroTink (which offers component, as well,) and there are a few others used in retro circles.  Search for the "240p problem" to understand why choosing a video converter for our old systems can be challenging.

An example is the C64 Anirog game "Skramble". With RF the white fuel bases have the word "Fuel" appearing as multi-coloured, when they should be clear black text. With the AV cable (to scart) it's just as it should be (after switching off/on to get best picture).

Will have a look at the upscalers you mention, and the 240p problem. Many thanks

The screen I currently use is PAL 720p

Edited by Atari2600PAL

54 minutes ago, Atari2600PAL said:

The screen I currently use is PAL 720p

Ah, I cannot speak much to PAL systems.  You may not have the same issues as we do here with NTSC.  There are more people here in your region who can help with video stuff.