IGNORED

Can someone tell me exactly what this is? "Hyperspin"

82-T/A

The guy is asking 8gb for a hard drive that, I assume, comes with millions of ROMs, and a MAME front-end loader?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204107863425

Does that sound right? You would then need a computer to JAMMA connector, or something like that? Has anyone used these? I've got a 60-in-1, which I figure kind of also violates IP / company rights... but I have to figure... 8gbs... and there's everything under the sun there... kinda makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.

It's a hard drive filled with pirated roms. Hyperspin is the front-end software. $350 is the price, 8TB (8,000 GB) is the storage capacity of the drive itself. 

You can get an external 8TB for like $130 so you would be paying for the seller's ill-gotten software and the convenience of having it preconfigured.

I wouldn't do it, but I also know where to find and download this on my own. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scotty said:

It is someone selling roms, and should be banned from eBay.

Ok, that's kind of what I thought. I notice it says Atari Jaguar on the left there... does MAME now support Atari Jaguar ROMs? I had absolutely no idea.

7 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

Ok, that's kind of what I thought. I notice it says Atari Jaguar on the left there... does MAME now support Atari Jaguar ROMs? I had absolutely no idea.

Jaguar is emulated in MAME but it is not complete.  Still needs some work.

8 hours ago, scotty said:

Jaguar is emulated in MAME but it is not complete.  Still needs some work.

Kind of a dumb question, but if I own the particular Jaguar games, it's morally and ethically (or at least legally, haha) OK for me to have those same games on a Jaguar emulator in an arcade machine, right?

3 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

Kind of a dumb question, but if I own the particular Jaguar games, it's morally and ethically (or at least legally, haha) OK for me to have those same games on a Jaguar emulator in an arcade machine, right?

I think that's between you and your conscience. Nobody is going to clap you in irons for that. Atari isn't making money from Jaguar games and haven't sold those games since 1996. Maybe buy a copy of Atari 50 and some/all of the Recharged games to support the modern iteration of the company, if you want. 

Forget MAME for Jaguar, use BigPEmu instead, it's very good. Windows only. 

https://www.richwhitehouse.com/jaguar/index.php

2 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I think that's between you and your conscience. Nobody is going to clap you in irons for that. Atari isn't making money from Jaguar games and haven't sold those games since 1996. Maybe buy a copy of Atari 50 and some/all of the Recharged games to support the modern iteration of the company, if you want. 

Forget MAME for Jaguar, use BigPEmu instead, it's very good. Windows only. 

https://www.richwhitehouse.com/jaguar/index.php

I've got the new VCS and have basically bought almost every single one of the games on the VCS store.

I used to have literally every single Jaguar game... but I sold off like 2/3rds of them since I never played it. I'm not really worried about the irons, haha... but just want to know if that's considered mostly acceptable. Like... listening to an MP3 when you own the actual CD or record.

• Haha 1

On 3/8/2023 at 7:24 AM, 82-T/A said:

New Jag emulator came out, and it is AMAZING!!!   Even does Jag CD games.   I just found it earlier today.   You will love this one.   https://www.richwhitehouse.com/jaguar/   Sadly the author has cancer, so if you like it, which I am sure you will, throw a few bucks his way to help support him.

• Haha 1

Regarding the part of your question that refers to the "computer to JAMMA" connector, if all you're looking to do is store ROMs on a PC and play them, then it's probably simpler to just get one of the many keyboard or controller encoders.  They are basically PCBs with rows of terminals, allowing you to wire up your custom arcade joysticks and buttons.  The PCBs connect to a PC via USB, and the PC "sees" the board as either a "game controller" or a "keyboard."  From there, simply configure the mappings on whatever emulator you're using and off you go.  

Common ones are: Ultimarc I-PAC, Groovy Game Gear KeyWiz, and for a low-budget option there's the "zero delay encoder."

Never used Hyperspin but I've heard it's a bit of a time vampire because of the configuration it allows.  I never gave a shit about making front ends look flashy so I paid the $20 (or whatever it was) to buy Launcbox/Bigbox which IMO is a great option.  Super easy to set up.  

For ROMs, I'd recommend you steer clear of these loaded up harddrives from internet sellers with 40 zillion games on them.  You'll probably have much more fun curating a smaller collection of ROMs you actually want to play.  They're very easy to find, but if you want it to be even easier shoot me a PM and I'll send you a link to my cloud drive.