IGNORED

1050 Repair: Anyone know where this part came from?

SlagOMatic

1 hour ago, SlagOMatic said:

In my ongoing quest to repair this 1050 I partially disassembled the drive mechanism. During the process of separating the main body a small metal piece fell out. It's about 1" by 1/4" and looks like a shim of some sort. Anyone know where this should go?

part.jpg

It looks like it may fit under where the top spindle assembly mounts, I have highlighted the location in the attached image.

1398029421_1050mechanismtop.thumb.jpg.a66aba7b9b0cf22df1ea78a9d5216db0.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stushug said:

I opened my 1050 and did not see anything that even closely resembled that piece. Sorry.

I've got other 1050s here and I couldn't find it either. Given what I was doing when the piece fell out I'm 99% sure it's somehwere under the large metal plate on the top of the drive (lower-right corner of BillC's image).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SlagOMatic said:

I've got other 1050s here and I couldn't find it either. Given what I was doing when the piece fell out I'm 99% sure it's somehwere under the large metal plate on the top of the drive (lower-right corner of BillC's image).

I've pulled apart 4 x 1050 drives (too many times to count) and that part doesn't even look remotely familiar.

Does the drive work ok without it?

On 3/13/2023 at 5:40 AM, Rybags said:

It looks like the holes are about the same distance apart as the sled rails, but I can't find that part in pics or Sam's 1050 facts.

I have 2 drives and I think they're of each common mech type but don't have time to pull down at the moment.

They are in fact the exact same distance apart. That's where I thought it should go but after test fitting it doesn't seem likely. Although the holes line up with the screws, the problem is the rest of the assembly. The metal "drive tray" (the big flat piece of metal that sits above the floppy disk) has two threaded holes in dimples that fit neatly into matching recesses in the black plastic sled above it, allow the screws to easily go in. If I put this "shim" in between then the dimpled part doesn't fit into the plastic part and the screws barely reach the threads.

Hopefully this makes sense, if not let me know and I'll post pics when I get home.

On 3/12/2023 at 12:24 PM, BillC said:

It looks like it may fit under where the top spindle assembly mounts, I have highlighted the location in the attached image.

1398029421_1050mechanismtop.thumb.jpg.a66aba7b9b0cf22df1ea78a9d5216db0.jpg

So it looks like you were right after all. But there's a mystery too.

Taking extraordinary care and having my daughter make a video as I went, I very carefully disassembled another drive and could not find the piece in question. I then decided to go for broke and disassembled the part you highlighted. Under the pressure cone lever there is a "sandwich" of three shims, two thin ones like the one I found plus one thick one in between. The drive that I found this piece in only has one thin and one thick. I can only guess that at some point in this drive's history a previous owner disassembled it (probably in an attempt to fix what I'm trying to fix) and failed to put that shim back correctly. Why it didn't rattle around and such as I handled the drive, I can't say. But I put the shim back into place and will not reassemble the drive to see if I actually managed to fix anything. Thanks.

• Like 1