IGNORED

No video UAV in short-rainbow NTSC 2600 Jr. - jumpers?

x=usr(1536)

Having a bit of a problem with getting a UAV working in my short-rainbow NTSC 2600 Jr.  The issue is that no actual picture is shown when the machine is powered on: a video signal is being output, but the screen is completely black; this applies over both RF and composite / S-Video.  With the system powered off the TV loses sync, so it is at least trying to output something.

The UAV is installed per the manual, with the 4050 soldered in place underneath it.  The 4050's orientation is correct (pin 1 towards centre of PCB), and there are no solder bridges or continuity issues between it and the UAV.

So far, two jumper configurations have been tried: the one recommended by Version 1.94 of the manual on Page 14 in figure 6, and the one suggested in this post.  What I have not tried is the jumper configuration for a 6-switch unit, as shown on page 4.

Has anyone else run into this?  I'd prefer to not start swapping in 4050s from my spares at this point if there is a simple fix (i.e., jumper settings) that I'm unaware of.

Why use the jumpers at all? I always wire directly to the UAV central vias directly from the next component off the TIA pins. This has always worked for me in all 2600 installs. This way I don't have to mess with the 4050 either. Just a thought to try it and make sure that the UAV itself isn't at fault. Though rare...I've had a few bad UAVs over the years.

Also you have verified that +5 and Gnd are present on the UAV board pads?

• Like 1

Just now, -^CrossBow^- said:

Why use the jumpers at all? I always wire directly to the UAV centeral vias directly from the next component off the TIA pins. This has always worked for me in all 2600 installs. This way I don't have to mess with the 4050 either. Just a thought to try it and make sure that the UAV itself isn't at fault. Though rare...I've had a few bad UAVs over the years.

Forgot to mention: I'm not using the jumper block, but have made tiny jumpers to do the same thing in a low-profile way.  They are working, but I haven't yet tried the direct-wiring method.

I'll look into pulling signals from upstream components later today.