IGNORED

Gaming in an Economic Downward Spiral (hypothetical)

Hello dear friends of well cultured and fine gaming,

let's imagine a hypothetical case where the western world is in an economic downward spiral that catapults it into the status of 2nd world nations. In this theoretical case, what would the consequences be for the sphere of gaming?

In times of economic depression cheap entertainment has been popular, historically speaking. Now the PS5 and Xbox Series X aint cheap and even retro consoles like the dreamcast, are getting increasingly more expensive.

I myself felt horrific anxiety attacks at the early stages of evil Putins wrath. To be honest I dont have very strong nerves. I would like to prepare myself for a theoretical financial crash. How would gaming change in this fictional scenario? How could one prepare for this case? Will there be any next gen consoles in this fictional case of a great depression and if yes how would they look like? Would studios shrink and focus more on fun instead of big budgets and hollywood plots?

I feel quite anxious, covid, evil putin and uncertainty, it is very hard on me. I hope you are all doing well. Please take good care of yourselfs. I am looking foreward to your response very much. Thank you and be well!

• Confused 1

Well, there are fifty years of retro games you could play, even if the entire frivolous games industry were to dry up and blow away tomorrow. The “second world” has entertainment like this already, and there’s always dice and cards and hunting each other for meat. 

Buck up, cowboy! Why worry about hypotheticals? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Well, there are fifty years of retro games you could play, even if the entire frivolous games industry were to dry up and blow away tomorrow. The “second world” has entertainment like this already, and there’s always dice and cards and hunting each other for meat. 

I think I'd try to use the 2600 Indy controllers for fishing reels. The Wii Controllers feel like they would be good for fishing but a big fish would yank the C stick out. So I think the Wiimote would be better to tether a sharp rock too as a knife. The joycons could maybe be used as fishing lures for bigger fish if adjusted.

If the N64 controller tips could be whittled and sharpened they'd be about right for gigging fish and frogs.

Controllers like the Saturn, Dreamcast, and OG Xbox would be good for bludgeoning. I feel like Intv controller wires would make good trip lines.

2600 joysticks could maybe be used underground to semi hold up a fake ground above it for unsuspecting victims for fall in/trip. It really isn't long enough to catch a small mammal. You would definitely cause someone to roll their ankle.

Remember if you catch and plan to eat me they say humans are closest to pig. So you are going to want to salt the hell out of me if you want me to taste good. Despite the name I'm definitely not a cow.

While roasting me you could soak you feet in an Amico shell. That will be the only utility that console will ever see.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Flojomojo said:

But @MrBeefy, in this age of wireless video game controllers, what should I do if I need to strangle a Cordyceps-infected person and can’t get access to an old wired controller? Will I have to just use rope, or a shotgun, or what?

If you have a shotgun it will depend on your ammo. Maybe some thumbnails could function as a slug for your shotgun. So you could get some ranges on your shot if the integrity of the thumbstick held up. Otherwise break them up and use them like buckshot for close range.

The cordyceps would probably good sautéed up. I imagine they'd be like Chicken of the Woods mushrooms which I've had before and are pretty good. Here is a fancy recipe. https://www.thesophisticatedcaveman.com/sauteed-chicken-of-the-woods/

Otherwise find a good sturdy stick that can hold some of the heavier wireless controller and make you a homemade mace. You wouldn't get much utility but you could probably get a few good THWACKS out of an Xbox One controller.

Speaking of you could probably use the Xbox "fridge" as a way to cast out into a body of water and catch some bait fish. Would take a little work but I think it could be done.

I would appreciate your survival skills when things go down if you are willing to let me in to your electrified bunker. I can give you shaves and haircuts and help pedal the bike to keep the generator charged so we can play thru The Last of Us on an original PLAYSTATION 3 with wired Dual Shock controllers which could also serve as garrotes against the infected. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, littaum said:

Get yourself a bike pedal power generator and you can play your Atari 2600 from your underground bunker:

https://www.amazon.com/K-Tor-Power-Box-50/dp/B07K8V4XB9/

9 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I would appreciate your survival skills when things go down if you are willing to let me in to your electrified bunker. I can give you shaves and haircuts and help pedal the bike to keep the generator charged so we can play thru The Last of Us on an original PLAYSTATION 3 with wired Dual Shock controllers which could also serve as garrotes against the infected. 

Sounds like a great time!

9 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

In the begining of evil Putins Wrath I was scared of nuclear attacks. First I was not taken seriously, but later on people started to agree more. Fortunatly I think the conflict will end in a few months, now.

Although my worries might not be justified at this moment, it is a reasonable concerne generaly speaking. I understand that it is better to not worry like you have proposed, but it is my unfortunate nature to worry and to be anxious. Sometimes very much so.

9 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I think I'd try to use the 2600 Indy controllers for fishing reels. The Wii Controllers feel like they would be good for fishing but a big fish would yank the C stick out. So I think the Wiimote would be better to tether a sharp rock too as a knife. The joycons could maybe be used as fishing lures for bigger fish if adjusted.

If the N64 controller tips could be whittled and sharpened they'd be about right for gigging fish and frogs.

Controllers like the Saturn, Dreamcast, and OG Xbox would be good for bludgeoning. I feel like Intv controller wires would make good trip lines.

2600 joysticks could maybe be used underground to semi hold up a fake ground above it for unsuspecting victims for fall in/trip. It really isn't long enough to catch a small mammal. You would definitely cause someone to roll their ankle.

But that would inflate retro gaming prices even more!

Remember if you catch and plan to eat me they say humans are closest to pig. So you are going to want to salt the hell out of me if you want me to taste good. Despite the name I'm definitely not a cow.

But that is barbarism. Will we decent into barbarism?!?

While roasting me you could soak you feet in an Amico shell. That will be the only utility that console will ever see.

Not if Tommy will release the console with earthworm jim.

8 hours ago, littaum said:

Get yourself a bike pedal power generator and you can play your Atari 2600 from your underground bunker:

https://www.amazon.com/K-Tor-Power-Box-50/dp/B07K8V4XB9/

I skipped on the bunker. In case of a nuclear attack I would have hid in a covered bathtub. Do you think that a economic depression that destroys the electrical system is plausible?

• 4 weeks later...

Solar powered (23-watts) emulator setup would work just about anywhere.

As far as modern game studios go, if they disappeared tomorrow I wouldn’t shed a tear.

Since I’m a retrogamer I’ve got tons of titles yet to be explored. So I’d just get into playing those. Tons of books to read too.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2023 at 5:04 AM, Keatah said:

Solar powered (23-watts) emulator setup would work just about anywhere.

As far as modern game studios go, if they disappeared tomorrow I wouldn’t shed a tear.

Since I’m a retrogamer I’ve got tons of titles yet to be explored. So I’d just get into playing those. Tons of books to read too.

A sign of good taste!

On 4/10/2023 at 5:28 AM, Gemintronic said:

People will continue to buy Asian 136711235698y%%$$#%^ in 1 ARM based flimsy devices.  Everyone will still wait for sales on AAA garbage.  All the better as the longer you wait the closer to version 1.0 stability you get.

Sad but true.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2023 at 4:35 PM, Creamhoven said:

what would the consequences be for the sphere of gaming?

Retro hardware would be a luxury (it's pretty much there already) because it's not important in the grand scheme of an economic collapse, plus there are a million cheap-to-free options.  Business models would continue to change for modern gaming, I'm sure the industry would survive. That doesn't mean people would spend $500 on a new console. Minspec would be more important, that's for sure.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BydoEmpire said:

Retro hardware would be a luxury (it's pretty much there already) because it's not important in the grand scheme of an economic collapse,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this. Are you saying that the unimportance of retro hardware in an economic collapse would make it more expensive?

Business models would continue to change for modern gaming, I'm sure the industry would survive.

Would you say that there won't be any hegemonic culture creation anymore, or just the gaming industry would not survive? Will we only have indie and retro gaming?

That doesn't mean people would spend $500 on a new console. Minspec would be more important, that's for sure.

Okay so there will be lower specs machines in an economic crisis.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Creamhoven said:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this. Are you saying that the unimportance of retro hardware in an economic collapse would make it more expensive?

Would you say that there won't be any hegemonic culture creation anymore, or just the gaming industry would not survive? Will we only have indie and retro gaming?

Okay so there will be lower specs machines in an economic crisis.

It's already expensive. If people are that much more worried about the basics, the less they'll care about retro gaming which is a super niche hobby. Those that do will likely choose one of the myriad emulation options because they're cheaper. I still kept some retro hardware, but I've sold a lot over the last 10 years. Emulation is awfully good these days and there are a lot more options.  I wouldn't predict if it will get more or less expensive, my point is that more people interested the hobby will use emulation in the scenario of major economic collapse. Disposable income will be less. I think people will still play games, they'll just go to cheap & free forms of the entertainment.

53 minutes ago, Creamhoven said:

I think the industry is large and relatively stable, it'll find a way to survive as one of our culture's primary forms of entertainment. It's hard to imagine major players not having a place. I like indie and retro gaming, but there are some experiences only AAA can provide and I don't see that going away any more in gaming than other media.

• Like 2

Oh man I don't know what I'd do if the economy tanked and I couldn't play "Call of Responsibility: Grey and Brown 9: Greyer and Browner, Only This Time It's the Russians But It's Always Been the Russians So Even This Isn't Different From the Past 8" with such amazing characters as Hardcheese Icecold and Stay Frostyman and the unique, non-generic, and totally-different-this-time annual shooting match they face from this month's popular enemy of the state (who is always the puppet of the Russians because see the title).

Or how else would I survive without "Sportsball '24: The Same Ball But New Player Names" year to year? 

I'd absolutely kill myself in an environment where every couple of weeks I didn't get a new "Generic Badass Third Person Deus Ex Machina Man slaughters thousands of aliens/zombies/bad guys/cultists/bogeymen in third-person button-masher 2001 in the future and/or history and/or present time" game like "Stabman Assassinface 6: This Time It's in Marco Polo Times But Everything's the Same."

Or how about "Spookington Manor 4: House of Haunters" with it's creepy aliens/zombies/witches/hillbillies/horror tropes where you have to survive by slaughtering thousands of see above by shooting things like Hardcheese Iceman see above?

With so many utterly unique and truly amazing modern AAA titles I just don't know how I would live with colors and replayability of 2600 games without playing the equivalent of a cutscene movie where I occasionally hit buttons and don't have to think.

What a truly awful time it would be if I had to play those awful old games and miss out on the cornucopia of variable AAA games in this day and age. How ever will my $60-75 a shot to the wallet survive without such high points?

🙄

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, BydoEmpire said:

It's already expensive. If people are that much more worried about the basics, the less they'll care about retro gaming which is a super niche hobby.

So very true.

5 hours ago, BydoEmpire said:

Those that do will likely choose one of the myriad emulation options because they're cheaper. I still kept some retro hardware, but I've sold a lot over the last 10 years. Emulation is awfully good these days and there are a lot more options.

True also. In my case it was a way to build the AIO console I had dreamed about since 1980 - for real! One box that plays it all. And bonus points because it fits inside blanket forts and reading nooks with ease.

The money savings are real. No chasing down console hardware, mods, controllers, and maintenance on it all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Oh man I don't know what I'd do if the economy tanked and I couldn't play "Call of Duty: Grey and Brown 9: Greyer and Browner, Only This Time It's the Russians But It's Always Been the Russians So Even This Isn't Different From the Past 8" with such amazing characters as Hardcheese Icecold and Stay Frostyman and the unique, non-generic, and totally-different-this-time annual shooting match they face from this month's popular enemy of the state (who is always the puppet of the Russians because see the title).

Dear Cebus, please dont kill yourself. Dont you see that life is worth living? Like take your beloved experiences from call of duty and get hyped getting into war with a serious military power yourself? Please reconsider.

Or how else would I survive without "Sportsball '24: The Same Ball But New Player Names" year to year? 

But without bread and circuses how will you occupy your brain? This deeply concerns me...

I'd absolutely kill myself in an environment where every couple of weeks I didn't get a new "Generic Badass Third Person Deus Ex Machina Man slaughters thousands of aliens/zombies/bad guys/cultists/bogeymen in third-person button-masher 2001 in the future and/or history and/or present time" game like "Stabman Assassinface 6: This Time It's in Marco Polo Times But Everything's the Same."

Again, please don't do that. You are a person of fine taste. The chosen last man architype only appeals to supreme gentlemen.

Or how about "Spookington Manor 4: House of Haunters" with it's creepy aliens/zombies/witches/hillbillies/horror tropes where you have to survive by slaughtering thousands of see above by shooting things like Hardcheese Iceman see above?

His icy parmiggiano reggiano fingers, so creepy.

With so many utterly unique and truly amazing modern AAA titles I just don't know how I would live with colors and replayability of 2600 games without playing the equivalent of a cutscene movie where I occasionally hit buttons and don't have to think.

What a truly awful time it would be if I had to play those awful old games and miss out on the cornucopia of variable AAA games in this day and age. How ever will my $60-75 a shot to the wallet survive without such high points?

🙄

I understand that economic crises is a time of rethinking and considering new options. I am sure you will find other nice things, like reconnecting with old friends and family. Please dont dispear.

9 minutes ago, Creamhoven said:

This is a misunderstanding I meant to say 'dispair'. I am sorry for the confusion.

Ah, no worries. But nonetheless, I feel it is important to inform everyone about the hidden dangers of dispear and raise awareness. For too long it has been ignored as a serious issue and most are just reminded of the more popular hazards like axing a question or clubbing.

But I still don't quite understand why you won't let Cebus separate a pair? Is there some religious meaning behind it? Are you in a cult? Blink twice if you need help.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wayler said:

Ah, no worries. But nonetheless, I feel it is important to inform everyone about the hidden dangers of dispear and raise awareness. For too long it has been ignored as a serious issue and most are just reminded of the more popular hazards like axing a question or clubbing.

Yeah dis eternal pear.

12 minutes ago, Wayler said:

But I still don't quite understand why you won't let Cebus separate a pair? Is there some religious meaning behind it? Are you in a cult? Blink twice if you need help.

Well when Ares got laid with Aphrodite, Hephaistos trapped them in an invisible net and presented them to Zeus, thinking he would judge them, but he just laughed. :D

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Creamhoven said:

Well when Ares got laid with Aphrodite, Hephaistos trapped them in an invisible net and presented them to Zeus, thinking he would judge them, but he just laughed. :D

Ok, now you lost me completely. I'm not sure what anything means anymore. I'm on the verge of total DESPAIR!

• Like 1