IGNORED

Someone asked if the 5200 fix can be translated to an 8 bit fix for flakey CPU cart issues...

So besides being a Rockwell SALLY with a date code greater than 8250, it also has to have the "RC" stenciled on it?  I have a few Rockwell CO1406-12s, but with 8307 and does not have the "RC".  

Is it an "AND"?

1) Lot > 8250

2) "RC" stenciled on chip

So the -12 just means Rockwell and not necessarily the location  (i.e. Mexico)?

13 hours ago, ACML said:

So besides being a Rockwell SALLY with a date code greater than 8250, it also has to have the "RC" stenciled on it?  I have a few Rockwell CO1406-12s, but with 8307 and does not have the "RC".  

Is it an "AND"?

1) Lot > 8250

2) "RC" stenciled on chip

So the -12 just means Rockwell and not necessarily the location  (i.e. Mexico)?

A couple of things to bear in mind about the 'fix':

• It was written at a time when it would have cost less to perform the fix as opposed to replacing the CPU
  • Atari didn't know in 1983 what we know today

By no means am I slamming @ctrl_alt_rees for performing the fix - if anything, I appreciate him showing it on camera so that everyone can get a feel for what's involved.

What I am getting at, however, is that the date ranges, chip stencils, etc. shouldn't be taken as hard-and-fast indicators of a CPU being affected.  In general, Rockwell SALLYs don't have the greatest of reputations, and when a few dollars can replace one with a Synertek it's just easier and less risky to do that.  While the 'fix' is technically still valid, it doesn't cover the 40 years of knowledge we've accumulated since it was written ;-)

I actually went through the work of doing the 'fix' on a 5200 with one of the bum Rockwell Sallys on it and while it did correct the issue for most games that were exhibiting like Pac-Man. The Antic test on the 2.3 revision diags still had a few odd pixles out of place here and there. So my point is that going to the trouble of this will help, it might not totally eliminate the issue fully and so replacing the CPU seems a better option to be sure.

• Like 1