IGNORED

Atari 800XL START + OPTION not disabling BASIC

SviRu

Any idea? Sometimes it works sometimes it does not. I can push as much as I want and it goes to basic. Also holding OPTION is not starting selftest. Selftest itself runs after BYE command and passes perfect.

I think i have problems with SIO devices. Cannot force SIO2PC to work. Maybe once. It works on my 800. Thanks for ideas. 

3 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

Does the option key work when you go into the self test keyboard ?

sounds like you have a keyboard issue or a problem with GTIA

I let it rest for a while and now I can disable basic. Option does indeed work on seelftest keyboard test. I do not think it is mechanical problem. This atari is almost brand new. It has to be something with the chips. SIO issues / communication. Was unable to load anything from 1010 - even thou it was working with cload and was trying to load something. Always with error 134 or it went into selftest after 1min of loading from 1010. Carts work fine.

1 hour ago, SviRu said:

Any idea? Sometimes it works sometimes it does not. I can push as much as I want and it goes to basic. Also holding OPTION is not starting selftest. Selftest itself runs after BYE command and passes perfect.

In BASIC:

10?PEEK(53279):G.10
RUN

It should show a 3 when the OPTION key is pressed...

EDIT: I wrote that before the replies:

Edited by vitoco

6 minutes ago, vitoco said:

In BASIC:

RUN

Just connected 1050 it loaded a program fine but upon another boot 800xl was hanging on the cursor (no basic nothing). There is something wrong with the 800. My SIO2PC and 1050 work fine on my other 800. Can it be PIA? GTIA? POKEY?

On 3/25/2023 at 12:57 AM, vitoco said:

In BASIC:

RUN

I managed to trigger this issue again. Booting straight to basic - option start not working. Cannot enter selftest. After writing your command OPTION is showing 3. So the key is ok. There is something wrong under the hood. SIO port is not working now. Usually it works couple of minutes maybe 2-3min and then it stops - get corrupted. Is POKEY the only chip that handles communication with SIO?