IGNORED

Pas de Deux (was: Duet) anyone?

Version 0.5 (PRGE version), changes:

• stages per group increased to 6
  • speed and stage length increase more per stage but decrease at start of new group
  • added drum beat sound (for PRGE)
  • added attraction mode (just for the show too ;))

This is the last 4K version. I have switched to 8K to fit in the rotating obstacles of the original.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I played this some more today to check out the new version. I'm still having a very difficult time living for more than a few seconds! I'd personally love to see more of a difficulty ramp and/or an easy mode. I think starting off at a slower speed or having an option for such with an easy mode would be a valuable addition. I had better luck learning the game when I set Stella to 25% emulation speed. :D It's possible that the difficulty ramp is fine for other players though as I'm not as good at fast reaction type games as most around here.

Other than that - I really love the game! The movement is fluid and beautiful, and it definitely falls into the "easy to learn, difficult to master" category.

29 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Thanks for the feedback!

Did you play game 1? The game 1 stages are actually meant as tutorial for beginners. 

Is it really that hard that you have to play at 25%? Can you explain what makes it problematic? 

What was problematic was me crashing into the barriers. :D Playing at 25% let me think more about what I needed to do. After doing that for a bit, I played at full-speed again, and was able to get to 1-3 at least!

If nobody else thinks that it's too hard from the beginning then I wouldn't worry too much though since may be just me that was struggling that much.  🙂 I'll be curious to see how well people at PRGE do with it!

Edit: I should have Maggie try it when I see her next week, too. She is a lot better at these kinds of games than I am!

55 minutes ago, Karl G said:

What was problematic was me crashing into the barriers. :D Playing at 25% let me think more about what I needed to do. After doing that for a bit, I played at full-speed again, and was able to get to 1-3 at least!

OK, that sounds better, but still...

If nobody else thinks that it's too hard from the beginning then I wouldn't worry too much though since may be just me that was struggling that much.  🙂 I'll be curious to see how well people at PRGE do with it!

Please let me know.

Edit: I should have Maggie try it when I see her next week, too. She is a lot better at these kinds of games than I am!

Cool. I hope it works for her.

I'm all for hard games, and this one is particularly good and addicting (what else should we expect from you?) but its difficulty has an aggravation: it makes me feel sick as heck. I feel dizzy and disoriented after I turn the game off. Obviously, this is not the game's fault - it's my bad health's fault. But I think a kid mode (difficulty 0?) would allow people like me to enjoy the game more. It would make it more accessible.

Edited by MateusSolo

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Pas de Deux on today's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us for my 50th birthday stream!

Games:

20231003-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.0c99a66deb8272b0ca1a8677923d431b.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Am I losing my mind, or was there an update to this with slightly speed-reduced initial levels? I'm not seeing it or the post talking about it though.

I mentioned that in the ZPH thread. But nothing has been released yet.

Currently I am mostly working on refactoring my code, because I was running out of RAM and ROM (even 8K). The rotating obstacles took way too much space. But to fix that, I needed quite some extra RAM. So I spend a lot of time with merging and reusing RAM variables to the max. And now the code is a bit too slow. :) 

• Like 1

Okay; as mentioned I got time with @mvo this week, and had her try the current version. She absolutely loves it as it is; this is definitely her kind of game with quick strategic thinking mixed with fast action. She doesn't think the difficulty is too great, saying the intro levels are a bit rough, but necessary. She also said, "This is the kind of game I could sit down and play for hours. Correction: this is a game that I will sit down and play for hours."

On 3/25/2023 at 3:47 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Thanks for pointing me at it. I must have missed (or forgotten?) it. 

Anyway, I think there is room for another version. Maybe with DC support. :) 

your version of duet (now Pas De Deux) is better than Diamond Drop. Ported from Apple made Atari look like Apple 🤣 I am enjoying play this one, but impossible for me to get pass 4.. 😚

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In case anyone was wondering why there was no progress lately. I was waiting for a musician who had promised to help me and to come back to me soon. Today, after 4 months waiting and asking, he told me that he has no time for me. :sad: 

Anyway, I really want to add a lot of music to the game. IMO the original soundtrack plays an important role for the game's overall impression. I have no talent in creating music, therefore I am looking for musician. I would like some music (the more the better) in the style of the original game, if that's feasible. Or something else which fits. The original music is from Tim Shiel, YouTube is full of it. Space is plenty, the game itself will stay below 8K, and I am prepared for a ROM with up to 32K.

So, if you can help, or know someone who might be interested, please contact me.

(@Albert Is my inbox working again?)

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 6

On 2/24/2024 at 3:10 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

So, if you can help, or know someone who might be interested, please contact me.

It is not working, unfortunately. I sent you an email, assuming that I found the correct email address for you.

On 2/24/2024 at 9:10 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

In case anyone was wondering why there was no progress lately. I was waiting for a musician who had promised to help me and to come back to me soon. Today, after 4 months waiting and asking, he told me that he has no time for me. :sad: 

Anyway, I really want to add a lot of music to the game. IMO the original soundtrack plays an important role for the game's overall impression. I have no talent in creating music, therefore I am looking for musician. I would like some music (the more the better) in the style of the original game, if that's feasible. Or something else which fits. The original music is from Tim Shiel, YouTube is full of it. Space is plenty, the game itself will stay below 8K, and I am prepared for a ROM with up to 32K.

You got mail 😉

• Like 1