IGNORED

(PMG?) off colours on Henry's House character when loaded from Ultimate Cart

Beeblebrox

So I picked up an Ultimate cart as part of a bundle.

I also own a Side3 which I often play the game Henry's House off with no issues on either stock or U1MB A8s I own.

I copied the same XEX Henry's House game file to the Ultimate cart and ran it.

Oddly when I run from the Ultimate cart on any A8 I own, stock or with U1MB the main character of Henry is all wrong with the PMG colours off. 

What would could this on the Ultimate cart I wonder?

So here you can see what I mean  - again only occurs running the game from the Ultimate cart. (No video enhancement upgrades in any of the A8s iy occurs on):

IMG_20230324_104138 (1).jpg

when I run as normal off my SIDE3 on the same systems there are no issues:

IMG_20230324_103938 (1).jpg

Edited by Beeblebrox

Probably the XEX loader not completely clearing the video hardware registers and the game assuming everything's in a clean power-up state or something. A lot of water's passed under the bridge since the Ultimate Cart loader was written, and the SIDE loaders have benefitted from a lot of contrived compatibility tweaks during that time to deal with software which fails to initialise memory, relies on SIO timings, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be a little more descriptive, you need to do the acrsnet update via blaster and quartus, with his pof from github

and if you want extensions to control the ultimate cart from a command line or with some hard drive on an 800 you need

_Boot.rom in the SD card

that will make sure you have the best chance of not having any issues, I hadn't heard any other complaints after that but it's possible this is a new issue

Edited by _The Doctor__

No need. I don't see any code clearing the video hardware, so my best guess is doing that would fix the problem. Or it could be something else. The Ultimate Cart isn't emulated, so testing changes will be a trial-and-error process. If someone has the time and inclination to give it a try, that's my suggestion (zero out the entire ANTIC and GTIA address space in a loop before opening the screen editor prior to commencing the XEX load).

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

To be a little more descriptive, you need to do the acrsnet update via blaster and quartus, with his pof from github

and if you want extensions to control the ultimate cart from a command line or with some hard drive on an 800 you need

_Boot.rom in the SD card

I don't know who it is... 🤣maybe a relative...😅 but back to the subject.

I add to the information there is indeed an improved version with support for some cartridges made by me and other changes made by @flashjazzcat

For the complete update you must have the file plus the blaster cable, but you can modify the menu just as @_The Doctor__ indicates.

Unfortunately my ultimate stopped working some time ago, that's why I didn't continue with improvements and experiments on this great cartridge.

• Thanks 1